Sponsored

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
For all the R1T owners with the powered tonneau,

The Rivian senior tech that came out to service my R1T yesterday gave me the following bits on info.
Everyone will have a different experience with the powered tonneau. For some reason there are some motors that are louder/quieter than others.

Although there is a brush where the tonneau is stored to clean it off, larger chunks of debris will end up clogging it and screwing it up.

He recommended
- cleaning off the larger pieces of debris from the tonneau before retracting
- cleaning the channels that the tonneau cover slides on every so often

Although Rivian service is there to help us, please try not to overwhelm them so much while they are ramping up! We don't want awesome senior techs like the one I got to quit.

- Your fellow Rivian owner who is trying to R1VLIFE.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
For all the R1T owners with the powered tonneau,

The Rivian senior tech that came out to service my R1T yesterday gave me the following bits on info.
Everyone will have a different experience with the powered tonneau. For some reason there are some motors that are louder/quieter than others.

Although there is a brush where the tonneau is stored to clean it off, larger chunks of debris will end up clogging it and screwing it up.
He recommended
- cleaning off the larger pieces of debris from the tonneau before retracting
- cleaning the channels that the tonneau cover slides on every so often

Although Rivian service is there to help us, please try not to overwhelm them so much while they are ramping up! We don't want awesome senior techs like the one I got to quit.

- Your fellow Rivian owner who is trying to R1VLIFE.
Did they provide any hints as to keeping the drains clear for the compartment where the tonneau retracts into?

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Thanks for sharing this! My question, is it better to store it retracted most of the time to keep it clean and debris free? Only extending it when you need to cover something in the bed. I think this is going to be my plan. I have a tacoma currently with no tonneau cover so my bed is open all the time.

OP
OP
r1vlife

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did they provide any hints as to keeping the drains clear for the compartment where the tonneau retracts into?
Can you elaborate as to which drains you are talking about? Are referring to the drains from the crossbar mounting points?

OP
OP
r1vlife

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for sharing this! My question, is it better to store it retracted most of the time to keep it clean and debris free? Only extending it when you need to cover something in the bed. I think this is going to be my plan. I have a tacoma currently with no tonneau cover so my bed is open all the time.
I don't know the answer to that question. I am keeping mine closed for better mi/kwh and then using the air compressor to spray it clean when I do spot larger debris.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

This is starting to feel like an exercise I know all to well: cleaning out my gutters even though I supposedly have gutter guards.

Looks like we will need to have some air compressor parties and blow the 🤬 out of that tonneau debris and show it who's boss!

I'll bring the Yuengling if someone who has taken delivery wants to bring their R1T. :cool:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you elaborate as to which drains you are talking about? Are referring to the drains from the crossbar mounting points?
There are presumably drains for the compartment the tonneau retracts into…like sunroof drains, which can clog up and lead to…unpleasantness.

Although I’m now curious about the ones for the crossbar mounting points…the ones on the bed rails probsbly just go straight down.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I keep waffling about whether or not I want the factory powered tonneau. I currently have it configured, but I know it's a long term wear and tear issue. I've already seen some covers that have a lot of brush streaks on the panels. I would probably be fine with the non-powered version but I don't know if they are even producing it yet.

Has anyone seen a truck without the powered tonneau yet?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I keep waffling about whether or not I want the factory powered tonneau. I currently have it configured, but I know it's a long term wear and tear issue. I've already seen some covers that have a lot of brush streaks on the panels. I would probably be fine with the non-powered version but I don't know if they are even producing it yet.

Powered one for me. Push button convenience and a 5 year warranty. I figure that’s long enough to iron out the bugs.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Powered one for me. Push button convenience and a 5 year warranty. I figure that’s long enough to iron out the bugs.
yeah true. that's my current config - with the button on the bed it just kind of feels like the truck is designed to have it. But I would like to see the manual option.

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

In my case I was planning to keep closed unless I was using the bed for weekend projects. So majority of the time it will be closed. I was waiting for some news on the maintenance and it seems like I'll try this a few times a year at most but not do much else. If it breaks within the warranty great and realistically I'll probably trade it in for the newer by the 5 year mark.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Those of us in winter climates should probably keep snow/ice in mind if we want to operate the tonneau also.

I do wonder if the different noise levels from the tonneau motors are due to different suppliers, but I would think the Rivian tech would know that and just say it if that is what it was.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Just give me a spring loaded one that locks with the truck and I’d be happy. I’ll even pay the same and rivian can keep the motor.
+1 our Retrax is bulletproof and smooth enough for one person operation from one side of a full size truck.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have been a pick-up truck guy all of my life. I cannot recall any pick-up by any manufacturer that came from the factory with a tonneau cover. There is a reason for this. Not everyone wants a tonneau cover. Tonneau covers and bed toppers have always been the purview specialty automotive aftermarketeers. Pick-up truck manufacturers have always stayed away from options like these because truck people want to pick out the own bed covers if they even want one.

I think that Rivian made a mistake in offering these tonneau covers on their trucks. It is already becoming problematic for Rivian to the point that their powered tonneau has become their Achilles' heel. I am happy to see that Rivian has now dropped their tonneau covers from the included list. I am very happy to take the $800 price reduction and get my truck sans the manual tonneau cover. If I decide I want one, I will get one that really works from the aftermarket.

Brian
Sponsored