Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It really shouldn't be that difficult to use antenna diversity to determine if the "key" is in the car or outside and detect if there's a human in the vehicle. They clearly have to have an antenna both inside and outside and they've supposedly improved occupant detection. There's no reason why a key left inside should unlock doors, period.
I think occupancy detection is as simple as the "seat occupancy sensor" that all modern vehicles have... literally just "I see weight in the passenger seat" (already used for airbags).
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

What they do at a lot of such sites is buy up a set of old mail boxes and install them just inside the secure area. When you come in in the AM you find a box that has its key, put your phone in, lock it and take the key. That way your phone is safe from theft and the ravages of the sun beating down on your vehicle and security is happy.
This.

Your phone isn't designed to sit in the vehicle in the sun. At an internal temperature of 140, you start running the risk of damaging the phone battery.

However short trips into facilities I'll leave my phone in the car (usually the trunk or inside the armrest) and turn it off.

Leaving your phone unattended on the charging pad is probably the dumbest thing you could do. Asking for anyone walking by to smash and grab.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
It really shouldn't be that difficult to use antenna diversity to determine if the "key" is in the car or outside and detect if there's a human in the vehicle. They clearly have to have an antenna both inside and outside and they've supposedly improved occupant detection. There's no reason why a key left inside should unlock doors, period.
This guy scope creeps

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Tbh I have never left a key/phone in a car without assumption that it could be unlocked. I left my key in my Supra one time and thankfully it WOULDN'T lock. I'm not saying that this can't/shouldn't be addressed but I don't know that it's the most urgent on their list of features to update. The fix would require knowing that you intended to leave the phone in the car, no one is in it, and you also have an activity key with you. I can just imagine someone leaving their phone in the car and it locking and they don't have a backup and them flipping out on forums because they couldn't call anyone. "I WAS JUST RUNNIN' INSIDE REAL QUICK WHY DID THE TRUCK LOCK WITH MY PHONE IN THE CAR?!!?!!?"

Imo the temp solution would just be a button on phone app to temporarily disable phone as key, would let it warn you that you need another key to open it.
It doesn't need to be that complicated IMHO. If a PaaK is present, and the vehicle is locked via FOB or NFC, ignore that PaaK until unlocked by FOB, NFC or other PaaK.

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What they do at a lot of such sites is buy up a set of old mail boxes and install them just inside the secure area. When you come in in the AM you find a box that has its key, put your phone in, lock it and take the key. That way your phone is safe from theft and the ravages of the sun beating down on your vehicle and security is happy.
We used to have that but security said it was too much of a risk at out facility and removed it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This.

Your phone isn't designed to sit in the vehicle in the sun. At an internal temperature of 140, you start running the risk of damaging the phone battery.

However short trips into facilities I'll leave my phone in the car (usually the trunk or inside the armrest) and turn it off.

Leaving your phone unattended on the charging pad is probably the dumbest thing you could do. Asking for anyone walking by to smash and grab.
FWIW, I never leave the phone on the charger. I am also in WA state, so heat is RARELY an issue. Also, the phone can detect when it is too hot, and will shut itself down. This has only happened to me 2-3 times in the last 20 years of doing this and only if I don't put it in the glovebox/trunk.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

FWIW, I never leave the phone on the charger. I am also in WA state, so heat is RARELY an issue. Also, the phone can detect when it is too hot, and will shut itself down. This has only happened to me 2-3 times in the last 20 years of doing this and only if I don't put it in the glovebox/trunk.
Has nothing to do with the phone operating. The battery itself will buldge and break metal housing and pretty much destroy the phone.

Bludging batteries are also a fire risk, if the metal phone components puncture the buldging battery it can expose the lithium.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
It doesn't need to be that complicated IMHO. If a PaaK is present, and the vehicle is locked via FOB or NFC, ignore that PaaK until unlocked by FOB, NFC or other PaaK.
Yeah, that's all there is to it, no testing or anything required! I assure you it's somewhere on their list of things to do but all it takes is a couple people's activity keys to not function and someone FLIPPING OUT because they couldn't call anyone due to their phone being locked in their car. I think it'd be wise for them to do their due diligence and watch #s and implement it correctly. Also, if they do something like this while activity keys are supposedly on backorder it makes even less sense. Then people will be getting angry forumuserjoe can do it but they can't. There's a lot to choosing feature priority and as I mentioned I would likely never use this so..

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think occupancy detection is as simple as the "seat occupancy sensor" that all modern vehicles have... literally just "I see weight in the passenger seat" (already used for airbags).
I thought so too. I was testing some scenarios the other day and locked myself in the back seat with no seatbelt, and I don't see why there would be an airbag sensor in the rear seats. The vehicle never went to sleep, and I was in there for over an hour (waiting for baseball practice to end).

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think most of the people are missing the point here. I’m sure there are several ways to solve this situation either by personal behavior or software updates.

This was actually just @godfodder0901 pointing out as a PSA that the situation exists and it is not documented anywhere so people are aware of it.

@godfodder0901 , thanks for bringing awareness to this, it is much appreciated. Thanks for all of the effort you have put into the ask the owners thread as well.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Polestar has four BT antennas in the car and they still took a long time to get it right.

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has nothing to do with the phone operating. The battery itself will buldge and break metal housing and pretty much destroy the phone.

Bludging batteries are also a fire risk, if the metal phone components puncture the buldging battery it can expose the lithium.
I understand, but the primary cause of the bulging is heat. Since we don't have a ton of that here, there really isn't any more of a safety concern than leaving it in your pocket.

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
I'm a long ways from receiving my truck so I'm hoping issues like this can be resolved before I see delivery. @godfodder0901 I'm glad you are mentioning things like this. I also work in a location where I have to leave my phone in the car.

Any discussion around heat and phone in the car is not relevant to OP's original post. Those of us that have to do this know the phone is fine when left in center console or glove box during the work-day. And when I forget it shuts itself down when it gets too hot.

As a work-around another option is you should be able to force stop the app and not worry about it turning itself back on.

Last edited:

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

The Rivian app has permission to turn Bluetooth back on, so that won't help you.

Do you really think that this is how it was designed? They advertise locking your stuff in the truck (including your phone) while you go surfing or hiking. It should not unlock itself while you are away from the truck, and I shouldn't have to disable features to prevent it from doing so.

Also, if I lock a set of keys in my other cars (even proximity keys), and then lock it with a different set of keys, it will not unlock itself at any time.
yeah, simple fix is that your phone can’t unlock it if it was in the car when you locked it. Hopefully they’ll fix that quickly in a future OTA update.
Sponsored