Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I know many of us work in locations where we can't bring our phones into our work sites. We lock our phones in our vehicles during the day, and many of us also have Phone-as-a-key and proximity unlock enabled.

If you do this, the vehicle will randomly unlock itself several times a day, making stealing it as simple as just getting in and driving away!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a ticket in to resolve this behavior but, in the meantime, you should disable proximity unlock if you lock your phone in your truck!

Edit: Just to add a little clarity here, as I feel there is some confusion. The scenario I'm describing is as follows:

1. PaaK enabled.
2. Proximity unlock enabled.
3. Auto-lock enabled.
4. Phone in the truck (not on the charger).
5. All doors shut.
6. All windows up.
7. Truck is locked from the outside using FOB or NFC.
8. Vehicle locks completely.
9. After some time, and at some unknown intervals, the truck will unlock itself with no other interaction.
10. Auto-lock will re-lock the truck after the pre-set time interval.
11. 8-10 repeat.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It is the equivalent of leaving your key in the car haha. Turn of Bluetooth/NFC or your phone to avoid. Im not sure if a ticket is really needed for such as it is designed as working :p

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is the equivalent of leaving your key in the car haha. Turn of Bluetooth/NFC or your phone to avoid. Im not sure if a ticket is really needed for such as it is designed as working :p
The Rivian app has permission to turn Bluetooth back on, so that won't help you.

Do you really think that this is how it was designed? They advertise locking your stuff in the truck (including your phone) while you go surfing or hiking. It should not unlock itself while you are away from the truck, and I shouldn't have to disable features to prevent it from doing so.

Also, if I lock a set of keys in my other cars (even proximity keys), and then lock it with a different set of keys, it will not unlock itself at any time.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The Rivian app has permission to turn Bluetooth back on, so that won't help you.

Do you really think that this is how it was designed? They advertise locking your stuff in the truck (including your phone) while you go surfing or hiking. It should not unlock itself while you are away from the truck, and I shouldn't have to disable features to prevent it from doing so.

Also, if I lock a set of keys in my other cars (even proximity keys), and then lock it with a different set of keys, it will not unlock itself at any time.
Was literally typing the exact same thing, referring to their videos with the people surfing and hiking and using their wristbands 😆.

It's a tricky situation for sure, but definitely a use case they should have designed for.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
What about turning off your phone, not really using it anyway if it's sitting in the truck.

[edit] as a stopgap of course

Sponsored

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What about turning off your phone, not really using it anyway if it's sitting in the truck.

[edit] as a stopgap of course
That would work*, but is shouldn't even be necessary.

*Unless you leave it on the charge pad and your phone turns itself on when charging.

Last edited:

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Our Model X does this and it’s really helpful for figuring out that my partner has left the key fob inside, but not very helpful in the sense that it advertises to people that the car is unlocked by frequently turning on all the lights, and in some cases, even opening the front door.

We left it at the airport for someone once, locking the key fob inside the car, and about 10 minutes after we left the car unlocked itself AND opened the front door. Thankfully we hadn’t made it too far away.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Odd I have had keys left in and it let me open the door a few min after because it was in the right spot to detect the signal. Regardless I wouldn't trust an app update period even if they did disable Bluetooth PAAK unless there was a special button they selected on the app that says I'm leaving my phone in the car you basically wouldn't know what it will do and then it becomes a game of having the phone work or not as a key.

I think this is something that as a user ( you're the 2nd person to mention this) a bit of common sense would say turn off the phone and or disable the app if you really need to leave your phone in the car.

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think this is something that as a user ( you're the 2nd person to mention this) a bit of common sense would say turn off the phone and or disable the app if you really need to leave your phone in the car.
I think common sense would dictate that following the use cases promoted by the manufacturer should not leave the vehicle in such a vulnerable state. Many other manufacturers have proximity keys and they managed to figure out how to allow for this use case.

I 100% understand that I could disable all of the features/capabilities of the vehicle in order to prevent a bug from being triggered. The point is that I/we shouldn't have to live with it and the larger issue here is that it isn't clear to the end user that this behavior is happening.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Not exactly. My current vehicle lets me lock a fob in the vehicle and it will automatically stop listening to it until the vehicle is unlocked by another fob or the app. It's an incredibly useful feature when on a road trip.

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Tbh I have never left a key/phone in a car without assumption that it could be unlocked. I left my key in my Supra one time and thankfully it WOULDN'T lock. I'm not saying that this can't/shouldn't be addressed but I don't know that it's the most urgent on their list of features to update. The fix would require knowing that you intended to leave the phone in the car, no one is in it, and you also have an activity key with you. I can just imagine someone leaving their phone in the car and it locking and they don't have a backup and them flipping out on forums because they couldn't call anyone. "I WAS JUST RUNNIN' INSIDE REAL QUICK WHY DID THE TRUCK LOCK WITH MY PHONE IN THE CAR?!!?!!?"

Imo the temp solution would just be a button on phone app to temporarily disable phone as key, would let it warn you that you need another key to open it.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I think common sense would dictate that following the use cases promoted by the manufacturer should not leave the vehicle in such a vulnerable state. Many other manufacturers have proximity keys and they managed to figure out how to allow for this use case.

I 100% understand that I could disable all of the features/capabilities of the vehicle in order to prevent a bug from being triggered. The point is that I/we shouldn't have to live with it and the larger issue here is that it isn't clear to the end user that this behavior is happening.
We are all essentially Betas testers which is why I'm pissed off employees get their vehicles first to test out these "bugs". Lots of bugs still so just give us the damn vehicles 😂.

The 2nd part of informing the user that these are issues I 100% agree on. The rest idk I just expect basic things to work first, anything fancier you're lucky I guess 😂.

Phone as a key imho I'm really surprised it even works up to now haha even with the issue you describe I think it's a win, maybe I'm setting my standards too low.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I know many of us work in locations where we can't bring our phones into our work sites.
What they do at a lot of such sites is buy up a set of old mail boxes and install them just inside the secure area. When you come in in the AM you find a box that has its key, put your phone in, lock it and take the key. That way your phone is safe from theft and the ravages of the sun beating down on your vehicle and security is happy.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It really shouldn't be that difficult to use antenna diversity to determine if the "key" is in the car or outside and detect if there's a human in the vehicle. They clearly have to have an antenna both inside and outside and they've supposedly improved occupant detection. There's no reason why a key left inside should unlock doors, period.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It really shouldn't be that difficult to use antenna diversity to determine if the "key" is in the car or outside and detect if there's a human in the vehicle. They clearly have to have an antenna both inside and outside and they've supposedly improved occupant detection. There's no reason why a key left inside should unlock doors, period.

Agreed the problem is that things like this will come with time and I think the sense of urgency here might have been raised to increase priority to fix this, but yes in the mean time shut it off or just know it will happen.
Sponsored