PSA: Don't leave seatbelts connected

OP
OP

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
I am actually confused on this one... My Kids car Seats x2 in the back seat are both held in by the Latch Systems, and the seat belts. Have not had one issue in the 2+ months now. And they are always strapped. No loss at work more than 1%. n o loss at home before the scheduled charging.

As I said. I am confused. I thought the seat belt thing was related to the front seats, not the middle/rear.
Mine was the front passenger seat
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Well you apparently struggle with reading because I said MEMORIZE the manual. I guarantee I could find something written in there that you don't remember. Even a big bad "I'm better than everyone else" person like yourself
And since you didn't take the hint... if you have trouble memorizing, you have three places where you or anyone can easily access it for refreshers, or too look up a specific topic/question. You didn't read it. You freaked yourself out. Cause and effect. Solution is pretty obvious, yah? Not to mention the number of PSAs that have already been shared. Be mad at me all you want, I don't care. Doesn't change the fact you bought an expensive machine but didn't read the manual. You know you should have.

OP
OP

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And since you didn't take the hint... if you have trouble memorizing, you have three places where you or anyone can easily access it for refreshers, or too look up a specific topic/question. You didn't read it. You freaked yourself out. Cause and effect. Solution is pretty obvious, yah? Not to mention the number of PSAs that have already been shared.
Oh, so you read the entire manual every single time you get out of the truck? Cool for you.

This is a stupid argument. Move on

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
From years in Public Health, including injury control, I respectfully disagree with @UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan.

Engineering solutions are almost always far more effective than educational solutions.

Years of exhortations to drive more safely in the 1950s and 1960s pretty much failed to move the injury needle. Guide rails, seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, and other engineering solutions were what made a big difference -- not owner's manuals or legal notices.

I think the OP has it right. When a problem jeopardizes safety or usability, and there's a feasible engineering or software solution, that solution should be implemented ASAP by companies -- if they want to have a reputation for safe and consistently usable products.

Companies that prefer a different reputation may survive -- but only in a fairly small niche.

We can all marvel at the complexity of the product, and at the company's sincere efforts to do the right thing. But, at the end of the day, the vehicles either work consistently -- even for imperfect human beings -- or they don't.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

Sponsored

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
Oh, so you read the entire manual every single time you get out of the truck? Cool for you.

This is a stupid argument. Move on
I loooooove people like this (meaning the person you are responding to). It is so insanely frustrating. And I agree with you that this needs a fix. In fact sleep or deep sleep should be an app feature generally.

OP
OP

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just as a semi-Update

This morning after I talked to the Olathe service center, the general manager called me back. He's apparently over the St. Louis and the Olathe ones and he was currently in St. Louis. He said he was working to get someone out today or tomorrow for me since I had all the needed items in my garage (Wall Charger plus regular outlets). He still said it would be paid work, but he said he would work with me on it. Less than 30 min later, I get a call from the tech who said he's on my way and will be here in 2-2.5 hours (which is how far away I am from the nearest SC). He shows up on time, gets to work, works on it for about 3-4 hours and has the 12V batteries replaced and back charging again. So my truck is now functional. I have not received a bill or estimate yet, so no idea what it will be costing me for the moment.

So A+ for the Olathe Service Center for customer service. They definitely helped ease the pain. TBD on how corporate handles the charges for something like this that is a pretty obvious design flaw. I don't mind paying something since they expedited it, but also shouldn't be a full bill IMO.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yet again, zero logical reason why a seatbelt buckled should keep the truck running for days at a time and to the point that it literally cripples the truck.
at least there should be an alert in the app (I mean really, if God forbid you leave an infant in the car, is it enough for Rivian to just keep the HVAC running vs alerting the owner in the app)?
OR .. just don't let a feature like this drain the battery all the way to an unusable truck? I fail to see a valid use case of why it needs to keep running all the way down to 0
Well, I think it's obvious why this feature exists - because every two weeks or so a child in the US dies from being left in a locked car. And although I can't find good statistics for pets, it appears that an average of maybe 5 or more pets die this way every day in the US (clearly this would vary greatly, with most deaths in the summer I assume).

If the car really thinks someone is still in there, then I would rather it run down to 0 and try to save the child (or pet) than to cut off the climate control to try to save the battery.

I agree it would be a good idea for Rivian to send a notification to your phone so you have an opportunity to correct the situation - whatever the cause.

I also agree that Rivian can probably do a better job with this feature. But the weight sensor isn't going to help much since the occupancy threshold is something like 130lbs.

GANTZ

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, Tesla, Lexus
Occupation
Yes
Why’s it got to be a PSA? I mean it’s not for the public it’s for Rivian owners and perhaps other ev owners. This is when the acronym now becomes useless cause everything is PSA. I guess it’s just understanding that this is an all electric vehicle and everything uses the battery. That could be a PSA.:rolleyes:

That’s why Dark-Fx response makes sense.

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
Well, I think it's obvious why this feature exists - because every two weeks or so a child in the US dies from being left in a locked car. And although I can't find good statistics for pets, it appears that an average of maybe 5 or more pets die this way every day in the US (clearly this would vary greatly, with most deaths in the summer I assume).

If the car really thinks someone is still in there, then I would rather it run down to 0 and try to save the child (or pet) than to cut off the climate control to try to save the battery.

I agree it would be a good idea for Rivian to send a notification to your phone so you have an opportunity to correct the situation - whatever the cause.

I also agree that Rivian can probably do a better job with this feature. But the weight sensor isn't going to help much since the occupancy threshold is something like 130lbs.
What you are describing only works if it were the REAR seat belt. No child has ever been left in the front seat and died (well I guess I can't say its never happened, but it certainly isn't the scenario that predominantly occurs). Further, the seat belt being buckled/unbuckled would imply it is checking for a child old enough to be out of a car seat (otherwise the seat belt is either never buckled (latch) or always buckled (secured with seatbelt) since all/nearly all modern car seats use a permanent base).

As for saving a pet, I guess, perhaps, but leaving a pet in a car by accident (in the front seat and buckled) isn't a terribly common occurrence. I guess one could argue neither is leaving a seat belt buckled but a unused harness (as here) or securing something inanimate seem more possible than the accidental leaving of a living thing in the seat right next to you.

Sponsored

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wait, what is supposed to happen here? Why would the truck go left if you depress the seat belt? Was there a resolution?
If the seat belt is unbuckled and the truck does not detect weight on the seat, it will try to stop and shift into park. (test in your driveway.) Not sure why it would have turned but with hard braking at 80mph it's not surprising. One of the dumbest and most frustrating features in my opinion, and there is quite a list.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thanks OP for sharing this story and sorry it happened.

I am hoping for R2 that Rivian can implement some kind of solution where you could tell the car to turn off and then it would turn off, until you tell it to turn on and then it would turn on. Possibly implemented with some sort of switch or button that controls the power, not sure what you'd call it. Too difficult for R1 obviously, but hopefully by 2026 the technology to implement this can exist.

OP
OP

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I mean if the truck goes the extra 5-10% down to zero .. same result happens.

There are about 3092384092384032 better ways to handle that scenario instead of bricking the truck. Auto shut off at a critical battery, a remote shut off from the app, notifications after x hours that "hey we detect something still in the truck, what would you like to do" etc etc.

OP
OP

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If the seat belt is unbuckled and the truck does not detect weight on the seat, it will try to stop and shift into park. (test in your driveway.) Not sure why it would have turned but with hard braking at 80mph it's not surprising. One of the dumbest and most frustrating features in my opinion, and there is quite a list.
I know the feature you are talking about at low speeds, but on other vehicles that get disabled over a certain speed.

That story feels like there is something more to it than the driver is leading on. Likely trying to get Rivian to cover his damages

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am not unknown for doing a stretch with my bum out of the seat during long drives… seatbelt stays on though.

I hope this is not an issue
Sponsored