webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Hmm. Wonder if that's an issue for the back seatbelts?
Sponsored

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
I miss having a pup. Can I derail this thread for a moment to request a photo of your Aussie? :)

OP
OP

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Curious about this as well. I take delivery tomorrow and have a car seat that will always be attached.
Should be able to check. Leave it plugged in, then watch the app after a couple hours and see if the truck is asleep

Sponsored

Ed C

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 440ic, Tesla Y, Maverick, Tahoe, F150
I'm sure some of you know this, but just as a PSA. Don't leave anything connected to your seat belts. I went out of town this weekend and took my dogs to a friends before I left. I left the dog seatbelt harness plugged in while I was gone. I was gone for 4 days. Apparently when something is connected to the seatbelts, the truck doesn't shut off .. like at all. It drained my battery within a day and now 4 days later when I get back, I can't even get the charge door open. I worked with the call center last night and got the truck jumped enough to get the door open, but could never get it to start charging from the wall. By the time I was done working with them, the truck is completely dead to the point that even a jump wont turn anything on. I'm being told it will take at least a week for someone to come look and they might have to tow it 2.5 hours to the service center. Even better, they are telling me its not a warranty issue so all towing and rentals are my costs. Even though its an obvious design flaw that the truck would let itself drain down to inoperable state in 4 days.

So yea, never leave anything plugged into the seatbelt

As a completely related question: Anyone know how to directly get in touch with Rivian Corporate?

I feel your company pain. Same thing happened to me for same reason. Fortunately I happened to check the app a couple hours after parking and figured out what was happening. Contacted Rivian support to let them know this seemed like a design flaw to me - at least there should be an alert in the app (I mean really, if God forbid you leave an infant in the car, is it enough for Rivian to just keep the HVAC running vs alerting the owner in the app)?

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
IMO Rivian needs to send notifications about the vehicle still being left on every hour or something, especially once the battery starts getting low. Would be annoying if you meant to but there are probably more situations where you didn't.
IMO, one notification 30 min. to 1 hour of being parked should suffice. Make it a toggle feature one could choose to opt out at their own peril (like auto locking). Don't need to be a nagging nanny. If after one warning and the owner still don't take action, ownership of the faux pas and consequences is entirely on them. This society/culture has an accountability problem as is (like not reading the manual).

Another "PSA" that gets ignored: Don't unbuckle while driving.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

IMO, one notification 30 min. to 1 hour of being parked should suffice. Make it a toggle feature one could choose to opt out at their own peril (like auto locking). Don't need to be a nagging nanny. If after one warning and the owner still don't take action, ownership of the faux pas and consequences is entirely on them. This society/culture has an accountability problem as is. Don't need more encouragement.
Nah, there are situations where I intentionally don't check my phone for extended periods of time while adventuring in order to save the battery. I don't typically turn it off in case of a family emergency, but it's in a low power mode.

But in this situation it'd also be important to be able to take action remotely as well, or I'd have to turn around.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

It must just be front seatbelts, as I have a car seat that has been buckled in my backseat for months without any issues of battery drain
Ditto here. But, while reading through this thread, my heart rate did go up a bit thinking about it and questioning my current setup.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IMO, one notification 30 min. to 1 hour of being parked should suffice. Make it a toggle feature one could choose to opt out at their own peril (like auto locking). Don't need to be a nagging nanny. If after one warning and the owner still don't take action, ownership of the faux pas and consequences is entirely on them. This society/culture has an accountability problem as is (like not reading the manual).

Another "PSA" that gets ignored: Don't unbuckle while driving.
OR .. just don't let a feature like this drain the battery all the way to an unusable truck? I fail to see a valid use case of why it needs to keep running all the way down to 0

Also "Just read the manual" isn't a good excuse. The R1T manual is 430 pages. Expecting your users to memorizes a 430 page manual instead of putting basic safeguards in place is a bad policy

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
OR .. just don't let a feature like this drain the battery all the way to an unusable truck? I fail to see a valid use case of why it needs to keep running all the way down to 0

Also "Just read the manual" isn't a good excuse. The R1T manual is 430 pages. Expecting your users to memorizes a 430 page manual instead of putting basic safeguards in place is a bad policy
I read it just fine. Must be harder for some. Not reading it isn't an excuse either. It's available online, via the app AND on-board through the infotainment system.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I am actually confused on this one... My Kids car Seats x2 in the back seat are both held in by the Latch Systems, and the seat belts. Have not had one issue in the 2+ months now. And they are always strapped. No loss at work more than 1%. n o loss at home before the scheduled charging.

As I said. I am confused. I thought the seat belt thing was related to the front seats, not the middle/rear.

OP
OP

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I read it just fine. Must be harder for some. Not reading it isn't an excuse either. It's available online, via the app AND on-board through the infotainment system.
Well you apparently struggle with reading because I said MEMORIZE the manual. I guarantee I could find something written in there that you don't remember. Even a big bad "I'm better than everyone else" person like yourself
Sponsored