PSA - DO NOT USE LECTRON ADAPTOR w/ Tesla Wall Charger on Rivian

ThatRivianGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1T (Pre-Order)
Does Rivian provide a mobile charger when you buy a vehicle?
Sponsored

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
This isn't very good news...as I am taking delivery of my R1T tomorrow and my charging set up is (was) Tesla - 2018-2019 wall charger to lextron adapter. I am only outputting 40A so this may help but do you think this is more of an isolated incident or do you think that after a period of time (6 months) this could be a problem? I would hope either the charger or the Rivian would have safeguards against this type of problem.
If you've read the thread it's been called out numerous times this is a one-off incident. That doesn't mean that it can't happen to others, but it's clearly not a "PSA" that affects everyone who owns or uses a Lectron 48 amp adapter.

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
Honestly after reading through all this it seems like his best option is buy the gen 3 Tesla charger with the j1772 connector and set them up to power share. Didn’t even know that was a thing with the Tesla chargers. Makes wiring two simple and way cheaper then having to add another circuit.
Is no one else reading here that his wife has a Tesla?!?! My wife has a tesla and if I told her I was swapping out the charger and she now had to use an adapter she would tell me to sell my Rivian (which I don't have yet, August/September). Hence his option #2

Also, considering they both drive 90 miles a day (which is nuts), the J1772 to NACS adapter is limited to 19 kW so his wife would then have a reduced charging speed. Maybe it doesn't matter if you can still get 8 or 10 hours of charging.

But this is super interesting to me as I we/she currently uses the travel charger for my wife to charge and I am debating what permanent charging cable to install. The tesla J1772 makes the most sense except she's going to complain if she's shorted on charging speed. Actually, what does 19 kW translate to in mileage on a Model X with 100kW battery and 350 range? Sounds like 65 miles an hour, so the limiting factor is actually the wall charger then, correct?

I say go with the Tesla J1772. Sorry wife, one extra step.

Sponsored

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
Just bought a Tesla J1772 charger..they are currently instock and going to have HI IQ Electrical: 404-938-9026(Atlanta Ga area) do an install and upgrade the wiring if needed. I am hoping this is the best solution.

Cycleman

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Wrangler
This isn't very good news...as I am taking delivery of my R1T tomorrow and my charging set up is (was) Tesla - 2018-2019 wall charger to lextron adapter. I am only outputting 40A so this may help but do you think this is more of an isolated incident or do you think that after a period of time (6 months) this could be a problem? I would hope either the charger or the Rivian would have safeguards against this type of problem.
Just get a tesla tap mini...no issues at all with those

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I wonder if it’s just the Tesla Wall Connector and Lectron combo? I’ve got a similar charging set up with a NEMA 14-50 outlet but we use the wife’s Tesla mobile connector plugged into it for her Model 3 and I just connect and disconnect the Lectron for when I need to charge the Rivian. It’s on a 50 amp breaker and I’ve only had the truck since mid February but haven’t noticed any heat when I disconnect it from the truck.

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
I would just sell the Rivian. Doesn't make sense getting a different charger. That'd be insane.

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

I have the same set up and no issues. I assume it’s because the mobile chargers are limited to 32A

I wonder if it’s just the Tesla Wall Connector and Lectron combo? I’ve got a similar charging set up with a NEMA 14-50 outlet but we use the wife’s Tesla mobile connector plugged into it for her Model 3 and I just connect and disconnect the Lectron for when I need to charge the Rivian. It’s on a 50 amp breaker and I’ve only had the truck since mid February but haven’t noticed any heat when I disconnect it from the truck.

Sponsored

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I have the same set up and no issues. I assume it’s because the mobile chargers are limited to 32A
That's gotta be it right? The Tesla gets like 32 miles per hour charging and the Rivian get about 14-16 if I remember right. Even now in the summer I don't notice it being hot to the touch at all when I unplug it. Thanks for the input. ;)

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

I’ve been running a Tesla Gen 3 wall connector with the standard 50 amp Tesla Tap for about 14 months now. No issues, but reading this thread I decided to pay attention tonight. After charging for about 90 minutes I could hear a fan running on the truck. I’ve got the Wall Monitor app and it showed the Tesla handle was reading 130 degrees. Outside temps in the 80s currently. Not sure what to make of this but I think I’ll be turning down my amperage going forward.

Last edited:

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I have the 48amp Lectron adapter from Tesla to J1772

Been using since December and no issues. I separate the adapter from the Tesla connector occasionally and no over heating of the connections visually noted

I note when charging for 5 hours or more the connector where it attached to Tesla charge cable handle gets to 100F. (Via optical thermometer) Thats when it is 80+ degrees in the garage.

Working OK for me but I am considering installing a Tesla wall connector Gen 3 with the J1772 connector built onto the cable and not using an adapter
Been using my adapter with a Telsa wall charger since last September. Zero issues. I have two power sharing Tesla wall chargers, so I’m not going to change that setup.