Home Charger recommendation?

VC_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder
Occupation
Worker
I've had a charge point flex plugged into 14-50 nema for the last 2 EV's. Gives me 25mph on the R1T, had one issue last year and Chargepoint stepped up and replaced the entire unit.
I have the same setup, no issues.
Sponsored

JRock

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Barber
Our ā€œother carā€ is a Volvo XC90 Recharge that has a charging cord. We have a 240v outlet in our garage and we use that cord and outlet to charge either car at home. Is this ok? It seems to work just fine as a level 2 charger, but Iā€™m all ears. Thoughts?

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Over six months into using refurbished Grizzl-E on a 15-40 plug. Charges around 9kw+/-. They run about $300.

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

I bought my R1T when Rivian had the promotion where if one grabbed a stock vehicle they sent a Rivian home charger free. It replaced a 12 year old AeroVironment level two that I had to get with my LEAF that I bought in 2011. The AeroVironment charger was absolutely trouble free. So far the Rivian home charger has been perfect, but it has been only 3 months.

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
I would suggest the YouTube channel ā€œState of Chargeā€ for reviews of units that you end up considering. Comparing charging technology is his jam.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Airmoses

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Check to see if your state or electricity provider will reimburse you for a specific charger. I happened to get a free Rivian charger installed as a Rivian incentive and returned the ChargePoint charger my power company would have paid for.
in Long Island NY you get $200 off select chargers. So I would rather get the best one even if its not on the list. I am thinking of getting the Tesla on with the built in adapter. Anyone have experience with this charger?

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜16 Titan XD, ā€˜20 Camaro ZL1 1LE, ā€˜18 Civic Type R
Occupation
Engineer
Over six months into using refurbished Grizzl-E on a 15-40 plug. Charges around 9kw+/-. They run about $300.
I use a Grizzl-E 40 amp charger too. Itā€™s simple, very rugged (the simple steel box itā€™s made in feels like you could drive a truck over it) and itā€™s compact. Itā€™s designed to handle a Canadian winter (mine is mounted inside my garage though). Zero issues with mine so far.

beaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t, mx-5
We had you use EV Juicenet to be a part of a pilot with the electric company in Wisconsin. You may want to check with local incentives before purchasing one. We get a $0.12/kw discount by using it so the difference can be significant.
If I got a .12/kw discount it'd be free

ebarke

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
why does this matter?
Occupation
software engineer
Clubs

I have 3 tesla wall chargers, and bought an adapter for the rivian on amazon. Works great, keep the adapter in the door pocket and use it charging at home or when I go to my business. Can control and see status with the Tesla app, not as much info as we get on the tesla, but will probably work better in the future for any other vehicle that has NACS built in.

Sponsored

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I have tesla ccs wall connector and working great! They also have have a ccs combo which looks interesting https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector?sku=1734412-02-D
Picking nits here, but Level 2 home chargers don't have "CCS". They have J1772, which is the standard for analog charging for basically everybody but Tesla (and eventually other NACS-based vehicles). "CCS" is Combined Charging System, which is a J1772 port plus 2 DC pins underneath.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

What is everyone using for their home charger? I want to get the rivian wall charger just to stay within the system. Bit from research I feel like basic functions are missing, like schedules (have to set in the car), the ability to remotely disable the charger, view rates from utility company, etc.
May want to consider this one:
Universal Wall Connector (tesla.com)