Sponsored

Problem with charging door

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The door will open with no problem but no longer closes. Closing it manually is a tricky game. It works best if I press the button and then gently guide it into place, but it still doesn't close flush.

I've initiated a repair with Rivian but I'm curious if others have seen similar behavior.
Sponsored

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
My neighbor has a small alignment issue with his but, not to the point that it stops the door from closing. His is misaligned and just barely catches the edge of the quarter panel for a split second before the motor mechanism pulls it into its proper spot. Long-term it would definitely cause some scratching/chipping in the panel paint.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

My concern is what if it does not open. Is there a manual way to open?

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

My concern is what if it does not open. Is there a manual way to open?
Crow bar? But in a more serious way, maybe you could just palm it and twist it manually.

What's the failure rate of gas cap doors? That'd be the same issue for them: can't fill up. I'd assume the failure rate might be higher with these fancy automatic doors, but probably not much more worrying in the grand scheme of things.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I believe the user manual does address opening the charge door manually. I am 99% sure I read that.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Crow bar? But in a more serious way, maybe you could just palm it and twist it manually.

What's the failure rate of gas cap doors? That'd be the same issue for them: can't fill up. I'd assume the failure rate might be higher with these fancy automatic doors, but probably not much more worrying in the grand scheme of things.
Funny enough MINI has been having an issue with their charge door on the Cooper SE, which is based on the fuel filler door. It has a locking mechanism that apparently likes to fail in the cold and/or when rain freezes in the mechanism. I don't think they've actually fixed the design issue either.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I believe the user manual does address opening the charge door manually. I am 99% sure I read that.
Folks keep saying this, but I believe it only calls out a manual release under the frunk lid to release a stuck charge cord, not to open the port door itself.

OP
OP

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've been driving for 30 years and have never had a fuel door fail to open or close. This one failed in a month. I don't think it's crazy to be concerned about it failing to open, too.

Could you point me to it? I just skimmed the charging section of the manual (hoping to find a way to properly close it manually) and couldn't find anything.
Sponsored