First Name
Mustafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited
Occupation
Sales
Currently, I do not have have 80k+ for an R1T, but hoping to snag one in 4 or 5 years once they depreciate a bit.

Seems like Tesla’s are holding their values insanely well. Hoping to get a 5 year old LE R1T for around 40K... am I crazy to think that might be possible?

Just some food for thought ?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Currently, I do not have have 80k+ for an R1T, but hoping to snag one in 4 or 5 years once they depreciate a bit.

Seems like Tesla’s are holding their values insanely well. Hoping to get a 5 year old LE R1T for around 40K... am I crazy to think that might be possible?

Tesla does seem to hold their value pretty well but do not use todays used car market as a baseline. The used car market is super high right now because of the chip shortages and limited supply of new cars.

An example, according to KBB my 2016 Model S is worth 7k more today than it was 18 months ago pre-Covid. This will correct over time as things get back to normal.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Treat yourself sir! Life is short…I wouldn’t wait 4-5 years to enjoy this vehicle. Just my two cents. Full disclosure however, this is my midlife crisis vehicle. ?

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer

Your hope isn’t very likely…short of a massive recession or major reliability issues.

Sponsored

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
Treat yourself sir! Life is short…I wouldn’t wait 4-5 years to enjoy this vehicle. Just my two cents. Full disclosure however, this is my midlife crisis vehicle. ?
Midlife is mid-50s, right?

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For whatever it is worth, Rivian is projecting a 5 year resale/trade in value in the range of $34,500 for their business model.

Resale and Trade-In. We assume the LTR opportunity from resale and trade-in to be $34,500 per consumer vehicle and $19,800 per commercial vehicle, based on a single sale in year six of the vehicle’s life. We determine the residual value based on third-party depreciation data for EVs and add a reconditioning gross up and resale margin.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Midlife is mid-50s, right?
I'm 64 and an optimist. That said, even my own exit strategy of being shot in the back by a jealous husband on my 106th birthday while jumping out of a second floor bedroom window means I'm past my own declared mid-life of 53.

Yeah, I'm not waiting four or five years in hopes of finding a deal on a used R1T. Now that I think about, maybe my plan is what attracted me to a "Launch" edition.... ?

Sponsored

OP
OP

R1TFanatic

First Name
Mustafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited
Occupation
Sales
That’s some solid info, Aroohoo! 35K would be awesome for a 5 year old Rivian.

Rivian blue exterior has grown on me so much. Was originally thinking Glacier White/Forests Edge, now thinking Rivian Blue/Forests Edge.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'd expect utility vehicles like the R1T to hold their value pretty well, assuming they don't turn out to be a maintenance nightmare / prone to issues, since they'd appeal to so many groups/interests/demos/etc.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Tesla's resale value is tied to the fact that demand outstrips supply, so even a used car has high demand.

If Rivian is in the same state in 5 years, that'll be the situation, used ones will have a high value.

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
The answer isn’t one you will like. EV batteries have a lifespan, it appears. Look at Tesla used pricing. It is rock solid at 24 months, 36 months; but look at 7-8 year old Teslas. With a 22.5k battery (at full MSRP) replacement; the value of the vehicle drops like a rock as the age / usage grows - much like any vehicle, right? Just these are more expensive vehicles...

IMO, the smartest EV owners (financially) seem to be the ones that buy new, and sell at 30 months in to ownership. They consistently sell their vehicles for 95%+ of MSRP. Not to mention the tax credit and how they can actually make money.

A Rivian will eventually sell for 40k used, but it might not be the one you want (unless you are going Rich Rebuilds on it, and fixing a battery bank).

Rivian is a wild card tho; no one has owned one and been able to experience anything. It is kind of a wild time for them

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Tesla's resale value is tied to the fact that demand outstrips supply, so even a used car has high demand.

If Rivian is in the same state in 5 years, that'll be the situation, used ones will have a high value.
This is 100% it. As more EVs come on the market that people actually want to own and if supply chains return to some semblance of normalcy then you will see used car prices drop. Used Tesla’s sell for so much right now because it is hard to buy a decent new EV without waiting for months.
Hopefully that won’t be the case in 5 years.
Sponsored