Sponsored

Bart57266

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model S 100D
According to our Rivian Guide, trucks ordered without a tonneau cover will be able to add the new powered tonneau cover when it is released in 2024. So, retrofits ARE going to be possible. Here is my conversation with the Guide:

Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau WILL be available as RETROFIT in 2024 (per Rivian Guide). This is HUGE! Tonneau
Sponsored

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Until they change their mind, don’t put too much stock in this type of stuff I mean they were supposed to have a new version around a year ago, still haven’t seen any update on a more reliable powered tonneau

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I find it hard to believe they will have the people available to retrofit power tonneau covers when there's about 12k out there that need to be replaced as part of warranty. I'd hope those buying a retrofit cover would have to wait behind those who have had broken covers for months/years...

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
I find it hard to believe they will have the people available to retrofit power tonneau covers when there's about 12k out there that need to be replaced as part of warranty. I'd hope those buying a retrofit cover would have to wait behind those who have had broken covers for months/years...
Pretty sure it won't be cheap, so there will be a barrier to entry that'll thin the herd a bit.

E_Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
According to our Rivian Guide, trucks ordered without a tonneau cover will be able to add the new powered tonneau cover when it is released in 2024. So, retrofits ARE going to be possible. Here is my conversation with the Guide:

Tonneau.png
Not sure about that. Someone a while back cracked open their bed withers the powered tonneu goes. In his non powered version uou can see There was elements that pointed to where a wiring harness should be to power it but there was non. The trucks are coming out prewired. So it’s. It just about dropping in the powered tonneau itself. They would have to remove a bunch of stuff to run juice from the cabin.

I also asked my guide a long time ago AND customer service and they both were likely they don’t have any info, rivian doesn’t release to them more than 2 weeks before they go public, but they were alos
Of the mind it has to be built at the factory not afterwards. Your guide might be guessing.

Hefk, they won’t even commit that the Pwrformance software unlock
Can be ordered after the fact. Nothing stopping them but have asked that as well and they all
Tell me no it has to be ordered you can’t buy the unlock after it leaves the plant. That makes no sense since it should be an OTA. If they won’t do that, don’t buy for a second they will do more to after purchase install the power tonneau.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m a doubter on this but I could see it being doable IF Rivian‘s redesign has made it so a new tonneau system can be simply slid into the open space.

But, basically, everyone should be in “believe it when we see it” mode.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
There is at least one other thread discussing this.

My guide also confirmed by email that the auto retrofit will be offered early 2024. Noting that this info was just provided to the guides.

No word on price, price or warranty protection for pre-March reservations that were forced to remove the auto beginning in late Nov 2022 onward.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I'm still waiting for my R1T as a pre-March reservation holder specifically because of the PTC so I would like to have confirmation because if I pull the trigger and confirm my order, and they change their mind, I'm SOL and I've waited 2 years.

It is completely unacceptable that Rivian is communicating this change the way they have. There should be official communication confirming this.

My Guide, who knows I've been waiting for 2 years, should have also reached out.

Really disappointed in Rivian on this.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You can trust what a guide tells you just as much as any other car salesman - pretty much not at all. If it’s not in an actual statement published by Rivian I’d put no stock in it.

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
This is a clear strategy to lower the price of the truck for tax incentives and consumer interest. I expect the 2024 Rivian’s will all allow a no tonneau option when buying with the asterisk that the PTC can be added later.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

This is a clear strategy to lower the price of the truck for tax incentives and consumer interest. I expect the 2024 Rivian’s will all allow a no tonneau option when buying with the asterisk that the PTC can be added later.
That might be the case but at this point, how much faith do we have in Rivian being able to execute this plan.

To date, no owners with existing broken PTC have had theirs repaired or scheduled to bring them in. The backlog is thousands of R1Ts with SC's already overwhelmed.

I see the strategy, but the execution is going to potentially be a nightmare.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I'm moreso dubious because they can't even keep bike tailgate pads in the store, nor have they made the manual tonneau's available to those of us who bought vehicles in the Store that didn't come with covers. [I know they're sending them to those who ordered with them in their configuration. I HAD one in my configuration, but then when my configuration, sans the cover, showed up in the store, I jumped on it to get the truck sooner :)]

It's less about 'whether they can' but whether they will and have the inventory and service-center/mobile-service capacity to do it.

Rivian99

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Chiropractor
I bought this really well built after market manual tonneau cover from www.interrobang.shop and it is freaking so sturdy. 40lbs total five panels that weigh 7.5lbs each. They all fit into a Dakine snow board bag and into the gear tunnel functions exactly as the oem manual tonneau. This one is so strong you can stand on it. All powdered coated aluminium. I also bought a store truck that was avaliable inventory so I had no manual tonneau cover option. I bought the one from interrobang because it will hold me over until 2025 when the actual automated ones will be available maybe in the store. We were told the manual tonneaus would be in the store late summer but nothing so far. Interrobang is stronger then the OEM manual cover and cheaper at 1300.00 4 week build time.
Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau WILL be available as RETROFIT in 2024 (per Rivian Guide). This is HUGE! cover4
Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau WILL be available as RETROFIT in 2024 (per Rivian Guide). This is HUGE! cover1
Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau WILL be available as RETROFIT in 2024 (per Rivian Guide). This is HUGE! cover2
Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau WILL be available as RETROFIT in 2024 (per Rivian Guide). This is HUGE! cover3
Sponsored