Sponsored

Poll on additional cost for 400 mile version

How much more would you be willing to pay for the 400+ mile version (over the 300+)?

• Total voters

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
The early release ones will charge at 300 kW (if only briefly). Thus they incorporate the switching scheme.
Actually I just figured out the 135KWH pack has an odd number of modules (assuming 15KWH each), thus the switch will not work, unless they have increased the number of modules from 9 to 10. The 180 KWH has 12 modules and can be switched. That patent always shows an even number of modules. The switches are external to the modules, not internal.

For this reason, I believe the 135KWH pack, assuming that is still what the Large Pack is, will charge at 200KW and the Max Pack will charge at 300KW or more.
Sponsored

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
EA has done it again, they have put several sites Under Repair, all at once. Phoenix to San Diego is out and Phoenix to El Paso is out. All of these circled sites are listed as Under Repair on Plugshare, the other ones are sites under construction.

Rivian R1T R1S Poll on additional cost for 400 mile version 1605626836488

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Actually I just figured out the 135KWH pack has an odd number of modules (assuming 15KWH each), thus the switch will not work, ...
Not a problem. See my post wherein I explain how it could be done.

For this reason, I believe the 135KWH pack, assuming that is still what the Large Pack is, will charge at 200KW and the Max Pack will charge at 300KW or more.
According to RJ either will charge at 300. At least that's how I interpreted his remarks but I also interpreted his remarks to indicate that I'd get a 180 kWh vehicle by summer next year.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I am really hoping that updates to the R1T can somehow find more efficiencies in the mid level pack to stretch it to 325-330 miles down the line.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
325-330 miles down the line.
It might already be there. We will just have to wait and see what the actual numbers are. I am actually more interested in the range at 70 miles an hour than the EPA estimated range.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I am really hoping that updates to the R1T can somehow find more efficiencies in the mid level pack to stretch it to 325-330 miles down the line.
My gut feeling is that since they are now reducing the pack energy to below 135 kWh, we are likely to see an EPA range not much more that the promised 300. Prototype/preproduction vehicles were getting at least 325 according to various reports.
I don't think we'll see that on the production vehicles. This leaves them more room to differentiate the "Max" pack, and reduces their cost on the "Large" pack vehicles.
We may still see close to 325 on the standard 21 inch wheels if they want to ensure both the 20s and 22s also exceed 300 miles of EPA range.

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

I’d pay $100 per kWh plus a small markup. So $5k max to go from 135 to 180

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
We may still see close to 325 on the standard 21 inch wheels if they want to ensure both the 20s and 22s also exceed 300 miles of EPA range.
I have explicitly asked Rivian CS if all wheel/tire packages would be able to achieve at least 300 miles EPA range.They stated that the 300+ was based on the 21" option and that the 20" and 22" could potentially fall short of 300 miles EPA range. I sincerely hope that is just a case of not wanting to over-promise until they have official ratings but if the optional wheels fall short of 300 miles EPA range then I suddenly start getting very concerned about the effective range under non-EPA conditions.

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
... if the optional wheels fall short of 300 miles EPA range then I suddenly start getting very concerned about the effective range under non-EPA conditions.
Nobody drives under EPA conditions.
The EPA range number is not one you should ever rely on to gauge actual range available. It is a good guideline when comparing vehicles as to which will have more/less range, but your actual results will vary - potentially by a lot.
If you live in Montana and regularly drive 85 mph on freeways at 30 degree temperatures, you'll get maybe 50% of the rated range (note that although the EPA test has both an urban and hwy portion, the highway portion has an average speed of 48 mph).
If however, you drive on mostly 45 mph roads in a temperate climate, you'll very likely very easily exceed the EPA number.
This is not unique to Rivian, and for the most part applies ICE vehicles as well. ICE vehicles are so much faster/easier to refuel people just tend not to notice.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The EPA range number is not one you should ever rely on to gauge actual range available. It is a good guideline when comparing vehicles as to which will have more/less range, but your actual results will vary - potentially by a lot.
If you live in Montana and regularly drive 85 mph on freeways at 30 degree temperatures, you'll get maybe 50% of the rated range (note that although the EPA test has both an urban and hwy portion, the highway portion has an average speed of 48 mph).
If however, you drive on mostly 45 mph roads in a temperate climate, you'll very likely very easily exceed the EPA number.
This is not unique to Rivian, and for the most part applies ICE vehicles as well. ICE vehicles are so much faster/easier to refuel people just tend not to notice.
That's exactly what I was getting at (except for me it's Texas not Montana). I personally will never achieve EPA range and is why I stated I was concerned about the effective range - which for me is also guaranteed to trend down as EPA range trends down.

EDIT: The usefulness (or should I say, uselessness) of the EPA cycle isn't limited to BEVs. My effective range is typically 75-82% of the EPA range with my current ICE vehicle. EPA range is simply a standardized measure for comparison and not indicative of real world (aka effective) range.

Last edited:

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

FWIW I routinely get lower than the Wh/mi required to hit the EPA rating on my Tesla’s during normal weekday use. But my normal commute doesn’t involve freeway speeds or many hills, something that an “adventure vehicle” is more likely to encounter (though I’m sure many Rivians will be used as mall crawlers). It definitely seems not likely to regularly hit EPA efficiency during road trips or other adventures.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My range will be terrible in town going 0-60 in 3 seconds, while wearing a grin ear to ear. And I'm OK with that.

Driving highway speeds to Dallas or Houston shouldn't be a problem & I'm fine stopping for a fast charge from time to time...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
My range will be terrible in town going 0-60 in 3 seconds, while wearing a grin ear to ear. And I'm OK with that.

Driving highway speeds to Dallas or Houston shouldn't be a problem & I'm fine stopping for a fast charge from time to time...
I'm not worried about around town range either. However, Dallas to Amarillo could be more of a challenge. There are currently no DCFC stops en route along 287 so to make the trip I would have to go out of my way through OK in order to charge along the way (and cross my fingers that the chargers are all functional). That's an extra 75 miles and about an hour added to the trip, not including charge time. If the EPA range ends up 300+ then I should safely be able to make it with a couple of charge stops. If EPA range were to end up as low as say 270, it might take every last electron to make the trip - if I could make it at all (something I wouldn't risk).

Then there's Big Bend which will be out of reach for the "large" battery pack and on the fringes of the "max" pack (even at 180 kWh). Fortunately the charging networks continue to expand....
Sponsored