Sponsored

Poll on additional cost for 400 mile version

How much more would you be willing to pay for the 400+ mile version (over the 300+)?

• Total voters

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
How much are people willing to shell out for the additional range?
You can also take into account the longer wait time - likely 6 months on the R1T and a year(?) on the R1S
Sponsored

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I already voted, but I was wondering... What the base price that we're adding this to? X amount over base vs X amount of LE might make a difference for someone :)

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Anyone knows the weight difference between the R1S and T? I know the R1T weighs 5886lbs... the 180KWh pack should put it around the 6.4Klbs. Im just wondering of the 7 seat R1S version with the 180KWh pack would break the 6500lbs

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Anyone knows the weight difference between the R1S and T? I know the R1T weighs 5886lbs... the 180KWh pack should put it around the 6.4Klbs. Im just wondering of the 7 seat R1S version with the 180KWh pack would break the 6500lbs
R1S on an old spec sheet shows 2650 kg, so 5842 lbs (20 kg lighter than R1T). I'm sure those numbers were estimates & might have changed slightly, but gives you a general idea.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Call me crazy, but I can't imagine the cost being $222/kWh or higher...Maybe in the $125-$150/kWh range...
Do not confuse cost with price. For example, the current goal of GM is $100/KWH cost, and they claim to have achieved $125/KWH with the new Ultium batteries made in conjunciton with LG Chem. I believe Tesla has a similar goal. But that would get marked up considerably in price to the consumer to cover a profit, warranty, etc. Everyone now has 100,000 mile warranties on the batteries, and some percentage of those will indeed fail in the real world.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
To add one more point about battery prices, I have found these retail battery replacement prices online. This assumes an entire battery is replaced, which is normally not the case, individual modules can be replaced, but that does not mean individual cells.

Nissan Leaf 24KWH battery - $5500
Chevy Bolt 60 KW battery - $13000 to $15000

Both of those are priced in excess of $200/KWH.

I expect the extra 100 mile range to come in at about $9K, but hopefully it will be less. Will find out for sure on Monday when I order it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
SOA is flirting with $100/kWh so all packaged up with BMS and cooling and recognizing that $100 is currently a flirtation say $200 a kWh. That would put the extra 45 kWh at $9000. The usual strategy would be to sell this extra at a premium - perhaps as much as $20,000 as that's the OEMs' usual strategy for getting cash to expand production capability i.e. push the premium models early on. So up to $20K I'd guess but as the previous post says this will all be mooted tomorrow.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Agreed. Totally moot come tomorrow but I'll remind the group anyways that RJ stated back at the end of '19, beginning of '20 that a nicely equipped 180kWh R1T could be had for under $90K. Things can changeas we are aware but... Fingers crossed!!!

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
RJ stated back at the end of '19, beginning of '20 that a nicely equipped 180kWh R1T could be had for under $90K.
At the time I interpreted that to mean that I'd be getting a 400+ mile truck with a nice set of bells and whistles (e.g. photochromic roof) for just under $100K. Thus I'll happily pay $20K more for the extra 100 miles as it would meet my original expectations and since that time I've come to appreciate the value of even 50 miles more than 300. Is that a rational thing to do? I'll let you form your own opinion but I will point out that buying an electric pickup in any form is not really a rational thing for me to do. It is definitely on the bucket list under "Toys".

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Does anyone think the 180kWh pack is coming later because it’ll have that switch to get the voltage up to 800V for charging? That might convince me to pay more vs the 135kWh. Longer range AND faster charge rate.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The early release ones will charge at 300 kW (if only briefly). Thus they incorporate the switching scheme.

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
To add one more point about battery prices, I have found these retail battery replacement prices online. This assumes an entire battery is replaced, which is normally not the case, individual modules can be replaced, but that does not mean individual cells.

Nissan Leaf 24KWH battery - $5500
Chevy Bolt 60 KW battery - $13000 to $15000

Both of those are priced in excess of $200/KWH.

I expect the extra 100 mile range to come in at about $9K, but hopefully it will be less. Will find out for sure on Monday when I order it.
How often will you need it?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
It's rather like a pistol. One buys it in the hope he will never need it.

Maybe a thermal imaging camera is a better analogue. Pay a lot for it in the expectation that you will never use it except for the job you bought it for and find that you wind up using it all the time.
Sponsored

Last edited: