Sponsored

Poll: How many service center visits did your R1 require in the first year of ownership?

In the first year of ownership, how many Service Center Visits has your Rivian needed?

• Total voters

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Things that were (or could have been) addressed by Mobile Service do not count
What if mobile service didn't exist yet? Or SC visit was more convenient to you? Seems like a loaded poll to me.

I’m 8 months in, 5 so far, 4 times for air suspension. Have another coming up. Always the same damper blowing out.
... Is it the front driver? I know it's bulking season, but might be time to lay off the treats!
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I've owned for 13 months, 14k miles. One service center visit, other than the initial pick up. 12v batteries died. Mobile service replaced them 2.5 weeks later (earliest appointment available to me). In the following week I received 3 motor errors. Rivian towed it into Brooklyn that week, motor errors were due to new batteries incorrectly installed, I think they said the ground wasn't properly fastened. They did tow it in and diagnose within a couple days of getting the errors, and I had it back a day or two later. I thought Rivian was slow to replace my batteries, but when I called with the 3rd motor error in 3 days they had appointments right away for me. (All my motor errors cleared, and truck would drive fine).

Had the batteries been properly installed, it would be zero service center visits. I forgot to ask to get my steering wheel centered at the time, its ever so slightly off, but reading posts here, that fix can be hit or miss. Nearest service center is Brooklyn, about 2.5 hours each way, with no traffic.

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
I responded zero because I don't really consider the recalls SC visits. I didn't need an appointment and I don't think I even had to get out of the truck for either of them and they took less than 15 minutes combined.

The only issue I went in for (> 1 year) was to have the casing on the passenger side mirror replaced because I hit it on the side of my garage. They replaced it while I had it in for a tire rotation. That was an expensive mistake (me cracking the mirror casing) I will not be making again.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I voted - 2 visits. Visit #1 was for a suspension fix (and a few misc things that could wait). Visit #2 was to get my AT wheel and tire combo installed, and at the same time, they did a recall and "fixed" the wind noise... in other words, the noise is still there.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Needed? Zero. But has been in for service 3 times and 1 mobile service visit for a suspension calibration and alignment, steering wheel shakes etc. none was mandatory however.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I have had the T for 7 months and the S for about six months.

The T was in back in July for an alignment and to fix loose wheel arch trim. Mobile came out and replaced the steering wheel (with the heavier model) and replaced a missing screw. It goes back in on the 12tj for several customer campaign, alignment off again, check torque on suspension, and I have a shake above 75 (possibly wheel balance). That's been there from shortly after delivery. With all that said I have been very happy overall with Rivian.

The S is going in on the 29th for various fit/finish issues from delivery (our first service appt in September was rescheduled due to a conflict in wife's schedule).

The S actually has more mileage on it at 11k and the T has 10k.

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

What if mobile service didn't exist yet? Or SC visit was more convenient to you? Seems like a loaded poll to me.
The purpose of the poll is just to get an idea of what % of R1's have needed to go in to a service center - so if mobile service did not exist, or did not exist in your area, and you needed to get something fixed that required a visit to a service center, that would count.

I'm genuinely interested in the results and do not want to skew them one way or the other. For those of us who live hours from a service center, it matters more than if it's an easy 20 minute drive away.

Thanks again for all the input!

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

I responded zero because I don't really consider the recalls SC visits. I didn't need an appointment and I don't think I even had to get out of the truck for either of them and they took less than 15 minutes combined.
makes sense, especially if these were recalls that could have been done by mobile service. Thanks

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
*NEEDED*? None.

I had one “minor inconvenience items” visit, one recall visit that was performed at a pop-up, not the service center (and they offered mobile service of it for those far from service centers.) Plus one crash-repair that was minor enough and I didn’t want to deal with a body shop.
We may want to define "needed" for this.

Did I need to take it in to get some trim adjusted? No. Did I take it in because it wasn't a big deal and it was kind of annoying me? Yes.

Sponsored

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
makes sense, especially if these were recalls that could have been done by mobile service. Thanks
I live <5 miles from the Denver SC and I really like the beer at the brewery in the same industrial park the SC is in. I don't mind going down for the small things. ;)

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

With 63 responses, NONE is now leading with 30% of respondents reporting no service visits needed in the first year. Better than I expected, will be interesting to see if this holds or improves with more responses...

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

We may want to define "needed" for this.

Did I need to take it in to get some trim adjusted? No. Did I take it in because it wasn't a big deal and it was kind of annoying me? Yes.
Good point, "needed" will likely always be a bit subjective. Feel free to propose a definition if you have a good one...

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Good point, "needed" will likely always be a bit subjective. Feel free to propose a definition if you have a good one...
I'd just say "for a repair that could not have otherwise been delayed without a loss of functionality" since I suspect you're after how often have people had an R1T breakdown or HVAC not work or Screens not work, etc.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
3 visits. 2 for recalls - in and out in less than 15 minutes (truck didn't have either issue) and one for a suspension problem. It was in about a week that time.
Sponsored