Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Consistently works for me.
Occasionally a little slow to unlock but otherwise good.
Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
For me, so far (just a couple days), locking works well, though it is slower (or you have to get further?) than I’d like.

Unlocking isn’t a great experience though. If I’ve just been in the truck (like say I just quickly ran into a store), PaaK works great when I approach my truck. But if the truck hasn’t recently been driven, PaaK is way too slow. Every time, I get impatient, pull my phone out of my pocket, and then it unlocks.

I am curious if it’s alway just a coincidence on timing, or if waking my phone is actually what’s triggering it to work. It sure seems like the instant my phone screen turns on, the truck unlocks.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

For me, so far (just a couple days), locking works well, though it is slower (or you have to get further?) than I’d like.

Unlocking isn’t a great experience though. If I’ve just been in the truck (like say I just quickly ran into a store), PaaK works great when I approach my truck. But if the truck hasn’t recently been driven, PaaK is way too slow. Every time, I get impatient, pull my phone out of my pocket, and then it unlocks.

I am curious if it’s alway just a coincidence on timing, or if waking my phone is actually what’s triggering it to work. It sure seems like the instant my phone screen turns on, the truck unlocks.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro
It’s possible that it’s you waking your phone, but that comes from my experience with a Model 3, not a R1T. Our Model 3 would frequently, but not each time, require us to wake our phone before it actually unlocked the car. It’s performance was far less reliable than the proximity key on our X.

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Try handing someone sitting in the truck your phone through an open window after the truck has locked and see how the truck reacts. I do this sometimes when putting my boat in the water or taking it out. I hand my phone to the driver and the mirrors don't unfold as it hasn't reacted to me getting close to the truck and then takes at least two sometimes more cycles of locking unlocking to get back to the correct state. It lets your drive with the mirrors folded and no way to unfold them.

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Works well for me too, 100% of the time. The proximity decreases when at your saved home and work addresses, so it's a little slower in those locations. This change was made to stop the vehicle from locking / unlocking when people were near the truck but in their homes or workplace.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Make sure in your iPhone, you change location access to always allow for the rivian app. After setting up my iPhone as a key, it was hit or miss like many of you are stating. But then I realized location was only able to access while open. After changing to always allow, it’s more than 90% reliable now.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
It lets your drive with the mirrors folded and no way to unfold them.
You can go the access and security screen and fold/unfold the mirrors from there. Even while driving.

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
It's raining. Still raining. Take phone out of pocket and unlock. Still raining. Open app. Can't connect to truck. Raining. Date getting rained on. Getting embarrassed. Can't wake truck. Force close app. Raining. Open app, and finally.... It connects. Still doesn't unlock tho. Finally, take card out of wallet as it wakes up and unlocks on it's own.

R1Thrilled

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T El Cap, 20" AT
This is probably in my head but every time I get a scenario where the truck is slow to unlock I take my phone and tap the door handle and it unlocks immediately. Not sure if this is just a byproduct of getting closer to the sensor or if i'm triggering some sort of waking event.... but i'll keep doing it until it stops working.

Sponsored

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have noticed if I force my phone awake it works. So I have to take phone out of pocket as I approach and it works. Otherwise apparently my phone is sleeping or something everytime I put in pocket.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I have noticed if I force my phone awake it works. So I have to take phone out of pocket as I approach and it works. Otherwise apparently my phone is sleeping or something everytime I put in pocket.
Make sure Location services is set to "Always" in your phone/app settings.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Make sure Location services is set to "Always" in your phone/app settings.
On Android (Pixel 4a), I am only able to set to "While using the app"

Rivian R1T R1S Phone As A Key Performance Screenshot_20220628-102432

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
On Android (Pixel 4a), I am only able to set to "While using the app"

Screenshot_20220628-102432.png
Interesting. Yeah I'm almost certain that was the case on iOS until a couple weeks ago during the snafu with vehicles dropping from accounts and people losing PAAK functionality. A few hours later I got a screen within the app itself asking me to change to "Always" to optimize PAAK function. I swear that the highest level when setting it up in early June was only "While using" as you describe. The screen said that it would mean that the app didn't need to be open/running to function, but now with the 1.4.1 update, it now gives me a banner notification if I close the app telling me that it will prevent PAAK from working if I do so.

So, I don't know what to believe. I'm pretty sure that it was working as a key even if I had force closed the app before. I'm also not sure what constitutes "using" the app. Does it mean actively open on your screen, or just running in background and not "closed out"?

My guess is that the 1.4.1 update for Android, when it is released, will unlock that higher level permission.

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Interesting. Yeah I'm almost certain that was the case on iOS until a couple weeks ago during the snafu with vehicles dropping from accounts and people losing PAAK functionality. A few hours later I got a screen within the app itself asking me to change to "Always" to optimize PAAK function. I swear that the highest level when setting it up in early June was only "While using" as you describe. The screen said that it would mean that the app didn't need to be open/running to function, but now with the 1.4.1 update, it now gives me a banner notification if I close the app telling me that it will prevent PAAK from working if I do so.

So, I don't know what to believe. I'm pretty sure that it was working as a key even if I had force closed the app before. I'm also not sure what constitutes "using" the app. Does it mean actively open on your screen, or just running in background and not "closed out"?

My guess is that the 1.4.1 update for Android, when it is released, will unlock that higher level permission.
I hope they do fix this. Mine Galaxy S20 has only same level permissions...highest is "when using app"...
Sponsored