CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Update on my vehicle leaning situation.

Yesterday, I returned the vehicle to the service center for a third time. Now I'm dealing directly with the service manager. Very nice guy, he reviewed the service history on my vehicle prior to my arrival. He had prepared a service plan for my vehicle.

He said just by looking at it he could see there is definitely something wrong and he wanted to deep dive into it. I dropped the vehicle off at 9am and by 3pm he gave me a call. He said there was a leak in the Air System Unit. He said that unit is what distributes the air to the air ride suspension (individual air bags among other things). He didn't believe there was an issue with any of the 4 airbags or ride height sensors. He wanted to keep the vehicle over night to see how it looked the next morning.

This morning he called me at 8am. Said they swapped the air unit last night and the vehicle ride height on all four corners didn't change this morning. Now they need to recalibrate the system before its ready for pick up. He told me it should be ready around noon.

I won't be able to pick up the vehicle until after work. He said that will give them more time to confirm there isn't a small air leak as the vehicle sits and waits for my arrival.

I am overly grateful they were able to fix my vehicle. Drake has been more than accommodating and made sure they took the extra setup to fix my vehicle. I'm hoping this experience is a learning tool for the service center. Having to take a vehicle into service three times before they will actually investigate is ridicules. It's not only wasting my time but also their time and money.

My suggestion is if you own a Rivian and the suspension is leaning, create another support ticket. Don't let them give you the excuse it's in spec. Yes, my vehicle was in spec when the compressor kicks in and its fully pressurized but 20 minutes later it would be leaning again.
Please report back once you've had the truck for a few days and can confirm that the issue is indeed fixed. After going through this same thing on my truck multiple times without a fix, I'm sort of in the believe-it-when-I-see-it camp, but I'm hopeful they resolved it for you. That means there's hope for the rest of us too.
Sponsored

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Another update..

I refused to pick my vehicle up yesterday. I told them to leave it parked inside and check the ride height throughout the day and into the next morning. I don't want to be the one to discover the fix didn't work.

The service manager called me this morning and said everything is still good. Said that overnight all 4 airbags lowered 1/4" but that is normal. As soon as the vehicle was powered on, they all lifted evenly.

They are going to call me again at lunch and if it's still the same height I will pick it up on my lunch break. I will send everyone an update tomorrow.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

I refused to pick my vehicle up yesterday. I told them to leave it parked inside and check the ride height throughout the day and into the next morning. I don't want to be the one to discover the fix didn't work.
Great execution here and something they should have offered to do, IMO.

I wanted to bring in some information as well with my recent ongoing service visit. My truck is in for a handful of items - most notable for this discussion are: suspension sagging front right, alignment issues, noisy/creaking suspension, wheel balance issues, and defective center display being replaced.

The SC has spent 3 days going over the suspension system, thoroughly. I've been getting photo updates along the way which is nice. The SC manager has also been very informative. To start, they've pulled the front axles, regreased, and installed new axle bolts, nuts and torqued over spec. They mentioned this has been their procedure for the past 3 weeks with service tickets for noisy suspension.

The center display is getting replaced, and because of this, most of the modules are getting firmware updates to match the newer firmware versions embedded to the display replacement - some updates that aren't covered in OTAs. The SC manager and field engineers are believing there are software discrepancies between control modules in the air suspension system and stepping up the firmware versions will solve this issue. I'm optimistic, but not holding my breath.

More to follow in a few days...

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I followed the procedure this morning:

1 - tap the upper black bar on the screen 5 times​
2 - go back to the three dots and you’ll have a new “Ride” option. Select and tap quote screen 5 times​
3 - pin 7433​

However, the pin is 5 digits. I'm guessing the software update "fixed" this.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I followed the procedure this morning:

1 - tap the upper black bar on the screen 5 times​
2 - go back to the three dots and you’ll have a new “Ride” option. Select and tap quote screen 5 times​
3 - pin 7433​

However, the pin is 5 digits. I'm guessing the software update "fixed" this.
Several months ago...

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
So if anyone is so inclined, you can observe the measured height of the suspension at each wheel in the service menu. The code you want is VDM_EcasHeight and there is one for FL, FR, RL, and RR. These are values measured in relation to the prescribed values for the chosen ride height - negative means compression and positive the opposite, relative to baseline.

It's kind of interesting to monitor them while driving and see how it changes. Steady state appears to be set for up to about 3mm of tolerance from one side to the other, but it can vary widely while driving, particularly while under acceleration (compression in the rear) and deceleration (compression in the front).

On a potentially related note, it seems anecdotally that my FR measures at a consistently lower value than my FL, by up to 10mm. This may or may not have anything to do with my rightward drifting alignment issue. The rear seems to stay more in balance. There is a graph function, but I can't ever get it to show any data, as it seems to only show the previous two hours on the X axis.
How do you access the service menu?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the code got out and people were going into that menu. I think I read Rivian changed the code…anyone?
Menu unlock is there, but now a 5 digit code that we don't know yet.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

watching this thread. I just noticed the driver side is 1" lower than the other corners of the vehicle. I was in lowest ride height setting attempting to check tire tread depth. I noticed I couldn't even get my hand in on the driver front. Steering wheel is off a bit to the left since I got the truck and have had a service appointment since the first week. Not until July 19th unfortunately unless I want the truck towed to a non-customer facing site.

Service asked me to do a hard reset on the truck and then report back. I can't help but think the steering issue and the lower suspension are related. I haven't really noticed the issue up to this point though....its not leaning like some of the trucks I see on here.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
watching this thread. I just noticed the driver side is 1" lower than the other corners of the vehicle. I was in lowest ride height setting attempting to check tire tread depth. I noticed I couldn't even get my hand in on the driver front. Steering wheel is off a bit to the left since I got the truck and have had a service appointment since the first week. Not until July 19th unfortunately unless I want the truck towed to a non-customer facing site.

Service asked me to do a hard reset on the truck and then report back. I can't help but think the steering issue and the lower suspension are related. I haven't really noticed the issue up to this point though....its not leaning like some of the trucks I see on here.
From my experience they are related. My passenger front was lower. This caused the vehicle to pull to the right. It took 4 separate attempts to fix the issue. They replaced a lot of parts trying to figure out where the leak was coming from. The last fix was a pin hole leak in the airbag and a torn gasket.
I think they finally have it resolved. Knock on wood.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

From my experience they are related. My passenger front was lower. This caused the vehicle to pull to the right. It took 4 separate attempts to fix the issue. They replaced a lot of parts trying to figure out where the leak was coming from. The last fix was a pin hole leak in the airbag and a torn gasket.
I think they finally have it resolved. Knock on wood.
Thanks for that. Glad to hear they were able to fix it for you. I am going to add it to my July service for the alignment issue. Like you said its very likely they are related....though mine doesn't seem to be pulling its more like it will drift off to the right if I hold the wheel straight. It seems to vary a bit while driving too. Sometimes I have to hold it at say 10 and other times its okay at 11 or 11:30. The tires don't seem to be wearing abnormally.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Ok, mine appears to have resolved itself. I checked immediately following a drive this evening and its all within 1/4" when I measure from the wheel center line. I think mine just needs to have the the alignment adjusted. Man I love this truck more and more each time I drive it.

danen1973

First Name
Nenad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yea…i agree. I want my level bubble to look like yours…and not the level bubble picture I posted.
On my truck the driver side (both wheels) is about 1.5 inches lower. See attached pictures. The garage floor is level. If I park the truck in the same spot but just facing the opposite direction, the driver side sags the same way.

Rivian R1T R1S Passenger side lower than driver side. IMG_1566

Rivian R1T R1S Passenger side lower than driver side. IMG_1565

Rivian R1T R1S Passenger side lower than driver side. IMG_1564

Rivian R1T R1S Passenger side lower than driver side. IMG_1563

Rivian R1T R1S Passenger side lower than driver side. IMG_1562

Rivian R1T R1S Passenger side lower than driver side. IMG_1561

Rivian R1T R1S Passenger side lower than driver side. IMG_1560

Rivian R1T R1S Passenger side lower than driver side. IMG_1559
Sponsored