Sponsored

Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?)

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue I just identified. I just took delivery of our R1T a couple of weeks ago and after getting it back from the shop for some factory repair issues, I decided to go over the truck more thoroughly. (While I’m not nit picking every paint flaw, I think this is a pretty big enough of an issue to bring to Rivian’s attention.

On the rear corner of the roof along the back of the cab, it appears that the factory painted over a rubber seal. In my instance the paint had already failed on the driver’s side! I felt along the passenger side and it feels very pliable along that that edge as well.

I was wondering if mine is an isolated issue.
Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_5729
Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_5728
Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_5726
Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_5720
Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_5724
Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_5724
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Yikes!!! Where is a Rivian’s quality control?

Reactions: Guy

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Inbetween my rear spoiler on either side it looks pretty similar to your photos. Gnarled up.. seen this on a few trucks think it’s standard (unfortunately).

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Countdown to all the "early adopter tax"..."Tesla has issues too"..."you knew Rivian was new at building trucks...should have known better"..."submit a service ticket"... in 5....4.....3.....2....

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I’m usually one of the guys who will call an issue minor with the panel gap/ body problems. This is no good, I would file a ticket and get this taken care of. I have no idea what that is but that looks like a hole they caulked in or something.

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Haven’t looked from the top but from the two sides this is what mine looks like.. it’s not blatantly apparent, but when you see it you question the build.

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_2483

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_2482

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue I just identified. I just took delivery of our R1T a couple of weeks ago and after getting it back from the shop for some factory repair issues, I decided to go over the truck more thoroughly. (While I’m not nit picking every paint flaw, I think this is a pretty big enough of an issue to bring to Rivian’s attention.

On the rear corner of the roof along the back of the cab, it appears that the factory painted over a rubber seal. In my instance the paint had already failed on the driver’s side! I felt along the passenger side and it feels very pliable along that that edge as well.

I was wondering if mine is an isolated issue.
IMG_5729.jpeg
IMG_5728.jpeg
IMG_5726.jpeg
IMG_5720.jpeg
IMG_5724.jpeg
IMG_5724.jpeg
I think it's what you've described: the seal was not properly prepared for paint and appears to be incorrectly seated or positioned. Most paint problems are a result of failure in preparation. This could also be an external factor (the paint impacted in any number of ways) but that doesn't excuse the apparently poor quality of the assembly.
Now I'll have to check my R1T. I'll post similar close-ups for comparison.

OP
OP

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So I put in a ticket for service and they passed me along to a certified Rivian body shop as the service center was unable to schedule me until July.

I was scheduled to get my PPF installed next week but am unable to with this issue.

I'll make a call into Rivian again to see what the resolution is for this matter.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sealer isn't pretty some times. I'd still try to get Rivian to fix it if it's cracked or broken.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I had to have my rear R1T widow replaced by Rivian, and when I got it back it had scratches in similar spots from them cramming the rear spoiler back on - which has to be completely removed to replace the window. Not saying this is the case, but any chance they removed that spoiler for something?

OP
OP

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had to have my rear R1T widow replaced by Rivian, and when I got it back it had scratches in similar spots from them cramming the rear spoiler back on - which has to be completely removed to replace the window. Not saying this is the case, but any chance they removed that spoiler for something?

Unless it was removed prior to delivery, I haven't had any service that would have required the spoiler to be removed.

Hindsight 20-20, I should have looked at the roof upon taking delivery.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
This is one of those things that makes me wonder if the fix would cause more issues. That said, curious if anyone goes through getting it done.

ye3hawp0ny

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
So this thread had me looking at my recently delivered R1T. I just picked this up four weeks ago and did not take notice until seeing this post. Looks to be some uniformity issues with my rear back roof as well. See images. Would this warrant a service ticket for a repaint on the interior panel of the truck? Seems a small minor area, however I don't want rust or any other new problems to develop either. Wonder if this seal would be a issue as well. I have had no prior service done so this is strictly QA/QC from Rivian.

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) PXL_20230502_003056199_2

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) PXL_20230502_003025084_2
Sponsored