Sponsored

Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?)

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
If that is flexible, then it is seam sealer. Seam sealer in roof to side joints is common in most trucks. Unfortunately, seam sealer is more flexible than paint, so it does crack in those places. Some companies remedy this by having a cap or vanity chrome trim piece to cover that type of joint.

I've had two F150s, with my latest being a 2018 with an exposed and painted seam sealer in the water gutter along the sides. Both have cracks in the paint in that area.

Personally, I would be okay with a clean up of the loose paint, primer, base and clear touch up. Both can be done by a the body shop or someone at home.

People also go to the McClaren forums and complain about panel gaps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Haulin Oats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Adventure
I had some issues with mine. I was not satisfied with how it looked, so I had Rivian send it out to a body shop for repairs (under warranty). They are still working on it, but progress is being made!

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6447.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6448

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6449.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6450.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6451.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6793.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6794.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6795.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6797.JPG

OP
OP

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Update on my end. I brought my truck into the service center to address my issue. The plan is similar to yours where they will be brining it to a body shop to address the paint issue(s) I didn't realize how involved the repair is! They quoted me 4 weeks for the repair.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Make sure you check your gear tunnel for leaks when they finish. When I had my rear window replaced, it took them forever to figure out where my leak was coming from. They had not properly sealed the rear window. They replaced it three times before they figured it out.

Haulin Oats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Adventure
Just got some updated pics of the repair. Hoping to have the truck back at the end of the week!

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) Resized_20230605_151334

Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) Resized_20230605_151345

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
This is one area of the truck where the R1T disappoints from a QA standpoint.

Rinzler017

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue I just identified. I just took delivery of our R1T a couple of weeks ago and after getting it back from the shop for some factory repair issues, I decided to go over the truck more thoroughly. (While I’m not nit picking every paint flaw, I think this is a pretty big enough of an issue to bring to Rivian’s attention.

On the rear corner of the roof along the back of the cab, it appears that the factory painted over a rubber seal. In my instance the paint had already failed on the driver’s side! I felt along the passenger side and it feels very pliable along that that edge as well.

I was wondering if mine is an isolated issue.
IMG_5729.jpeg
IMG_5728.jpeg
IMG_5726.jpeg
IMG_5720.jpeg
IMG_5724.jpeg
IMG_5724.jpeg
Same on mine.. wondering if I should just return
Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6371
Rivian R1T R1S Paint issue on rear roof. (Painted rubber seal?) IMG_6388

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

they all basically look like that. not saying its not a thing but your truck is no different than others. i had the same that i noticed day one. opened a ticket and they painted over it. unfortunately, it looks like thats how its designed. of course i will keep my eye on it over time as i do think it could crop up again as the truck goes through warm/hot to cold weather.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Wow, I usually can be more forgiving about first model woes (although I still expect them to fix it), but this is bad…I’m starting to think they laid off their QC folks at the factory and pushed that to the service centers instead.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This isn’t a QA issue, it’s a design oversight. Somebody signed off on it though.

OP
OP

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This isn’t a QA issue, it’s a design oversight. Somebody signed off on it though.
I agree. I think someone else pointed out how other manufacturers deal with this area of the car. Most place a drip rail moulding trim to cover up this area. I think they just failed to 'cover up this seam as other manufacturers do.

Update on my issue, the truck has been in the shop for 1 month as they quoted. They brought it to a body shop and are painting the areas of concern similar to @Haulin Oats experience. I'm schedule to get the truck back at the end of the week. They had issues getting gaskets from the factory to the body shop. I'll share the 'after photos' once I get the truck back.
Sponsored