Sponsored

paddle shifters yes or no?

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I totally expect tank turn to be a gimmick “feature.” My Mustang allows you to select a “burn out” mode from the UI. I expect nearly the same thing. You come to a stop. You select “tank turn.” You push the accelerator. You spin in a circle. You probably will damage the truck and tires unless you are on loose mud like in the video.

While “tank turn” may be a gimmick, it really exists to demonstrate technology that is not a gimmick, namely the ability to control torque and horsepower at each wheel.
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
It’s absolutely ludicrous to think they’re going to add in joysticks, levers, special scrollers under protective covers, or turn the whole steering column into a flight yoke. Those are all 100% dumb takes.

If the paddles don’t make a comeback, my money is on just using the steering wheel. You press “Tank Mode” on the touchscreen, and you turn the wheel in the direction you wanna rotate. If they wanna get fancy, you could even have the speed of the rotation be linked to how much you turn the wheel.

If you wanna get REALLY fancy, you could even require the accelerator be depressed as like a safety switch.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Also fortunately, those engineers aren’t you! So I’m nearly 100% confident we won’t be getting any overly and unnecessarily complicated nonsense.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
If the paddles don’t make a comeback, my money is on just using the steering wheel. You press “Tank Mode” on the touchscreen, and you turn the wheel in the direction you wanna rotate. If they wanna get fancy, you could even have the speed of the rotation be linked to how much you turn the wheel.
This makes even more sense than my accelerator/turn signal idea. Now I feel stupid. I hope you're happy.

Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Aha, I apologise sincerely for that. Your idea makes sense too though! I’d imagine the truck is gonna indicate which way it’s rotating via the blinkers anyways.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
One advantage to tying it to turn signals is that, at least in Texas, it would eliminate the risk of anyone ever entering into a tank turn unintentionally.
Makes sense! I’m sure there’s gonna be some sort of safety system to make sure that doesn’t happen. Maybe having to go through like 7 menus to activate it on the touch screen.

Or having to hold down the break and accelerator peddles together the whole time.

Or maybe the turn signal thing!

Just another thing that Rivian has yet to enlighten us about

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Guys, I've solved it. I've taken AJ's plan and simplified it for those of us without forklift/sherman tank operating experience.

Actually, it had been solved for us long ago. Please see below demonstration taken by hidden cam at Rivian factory, and actual design specs.

You're all welcome.

Rivian R1T R1S paddle shifters yes or no? InfiniteIdolizedGreyhounddog-small

Rivian R1T R1S paddle shifters yes or no? 1611694406602
Rivian R1T R1S paddle shifters yes or no? 1611694740342
Rivian R1T R1S paddle shifters yes or no? 1611694755968
All in good fun. This place was getting too serious for my liking.​

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
While the thumb wheel idea is probably the best one we would want to make sure that they are spring loaded so that as soon as one lifts his thumbs the torque is removed from all 4 wheels and the brakes are applied. So we have convenient control over 2 degrees of freedom without much impact to the layout of the controls. Now there are, obviously, 4 degrees of freedom. Would we ever want access to the other two? Interesting question too. With 2 we can only pivot about the centre of mass. Would we ever want to pivot about another point?

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Guys, I've solved it. I've taken AJ's plan and simplified it for those of us without forklift/sherman tank operating experience.

Actually, it had been solved for us long ago. Please see below demonstration taken by hidden cam at Rivian factory, and actual design specs.

You're all welcome.

InfiniteIdolizedGreyhounddog-small.gif

1611694406602.png
1611694740342.png
1611694755968.png
All in good fun. This place was getting too serious for my liking.​
Cohall,

Thanks for the laugh and for binging us back. I have the regenerative braking paddle levers in the Cadillac ELR, which is essentially their version of the Chevy Volt.

On both of those cars, if you put the shift lever into Low, you have one-pedal driving. You push down, and you accelerate until you hit your desired speed. At that point, you let up and maintain the pedal position at that speed. If you take your foot off the pedal, the regen kicks in at a .2g speed reduction and the brake lights come on. With the car in Drive, the paddles act in the same manner as lifting your foot when in Low. There seems to be a multiplier effect in Low when you lift your foot off of the accelerator and apply the paddle lever(s).

One downside is that the GM regen acts like a toggle switch. It's all or nothing. I love it and use it all the time, but it would be nice if the regen was progressive, like the mechanical brakes.

It would be great to have the same paddle feature in the Rivian, only with the progressiveness.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The original question was as to whether there would be "paddle shifters". It has already been pointed out that as there is no shifting there will be no paddle shifters so I guess the question simplifies to "wlll there be paddles?" and it makes sense in that context to ask "What else are paddles used for". The most common answer seems to be that they are used to control regen level. I think the OEMs have, now that millions of miles have been driven with it, come to understand that the amount of regen is best controlled by feathering the "throttle" and at the same time realized that some people just don't like regen so regen control has degenerated to On or Off via a setting in a configuration touch screen. Tesla used to have a level option but it is gone in more recent cars.

Taking "paddle" to mean a horizontally mounted joystick (Tesla call them "stalks") here is what the "paddles" do on the Model X
1) High beam/lowbeam
2)Position steering wheel
3)Set autopilot mode
4)"Gear" (PRND) selector

Some of them have buttons or rotating rings on the end for functions like engaging Park, setting autopilot speed and adjusting windshield wiper mode.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Cohall,

Thanks for the laugh and for binging us back. I have the regenerative braking paddle levers in the Cadillac ELR, which is essentially their version of the Chevy Volt.

On both of those cars, if you put the shift lever into Low, you have one-pedal driving. You push down, and you accelerate until you hit your desired speed. At that point, you let up and maintain the pedal position at that speed. If you take your foot off the pedal, the regen kicks in at a .2g speed reduction and the brake lights come on. With the car in Drive, the paddles act in the same manner as lifting your foot when in Low. There seems to be a multiplier effect in Low when you lift your foot off of the accelerator and apply the paddle lever(s).

One downside is that the GM regen acts like a toggle switch. It's all or nothing. I love it and use it all the time, but it would be nice if the regen was progressive, like the mechanical brakes.

It would be great to have the same paddle feature in the Rivian, only with the progressiveness.
The Bolt works this way also, but even in Drive you get mild regen. If you want no regen, you have to go into neutral. Personally I like the GM setup and it took me only a couple of drives to learn how to use the one pedal driving accurately.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Taking "paddle" to mean a horizontally mounted joystick (Tesla call them "stalks") here is what the "paddles" do on the Model X
1) High beam/lowbeam
2)Position steering wheel
3)Set autopilot mode
4)"Gear" (PRND) selector

Some of them have buttons or rotating rings on the end for functions like engaging Park, setting autopilot speed and adjusting windshield wiper mode.
I think it confuses the discussion to talk of “stalks” as “paddles.” The OP’s pictures shows that the vehicle had and still has stalks. I think the OP is clearly asking about whether or not the very distinct paddles will be present in production and what they might do.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think it confuses the discussion to talk of “stalks” as “paddles.” The OP’s pictures shows that the vehicle had and still has stalks. I think the OP is clearly asking about whether or not the very distinct paddles will be present in production and what they might do.
ajdelange is a troll.

Rivian R1T R1S paddle shifters yes or no? tQA2KKr
Sponsored

Last edited: