First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Allroad and Q5
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
I've noticed some photos show paddle shifters and not?

Rivian R1T R1S paddle shifters yes or no? Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.22.18 PM

Rivian R1T R1S paddle shifters yes or no? 5614CB52-D05C-455D-B68E-D36AF36FD134
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I believe those were only present on the very early prototype models. Something to do with the tank turn(?) or adjusting the regen breaking. I don’t think we ever found out officially

Haven’t seen them on any of the more recent models

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
What is their function?
It was set the amount of regen for braking, at least that’s what I originally read. I think they decided to just put on the screen

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

What is their function?
For the Hyundai the regen level as mentioned above.

On flat roads i put it off to coast. On down hills, max Regen etc.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It’s not a deal breaker, for me, but I do hope the higher trim models come with paddle shifters. I like them!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
No disrespect to anyone, but it makes me chuckle to think of a car with no gears having “shifters” at all. But I can see that if they are used to control regen braking, they would sort of act like downshift/up shifting to control your speed going done hills or rolling to a stop. Learning to feather your foot off of the accelerator can have a similar effect, but everyone will have their personal preferences on regen and how to control it. I always have my car on max regen and use the accelerate to control how much regen is being invoked.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

My Honda Clarity PHEV has "paddle shifters" for regen brake level control and I love using them in "Sport" mode. The "upshift" is mostly useless but can help if you want to dial-back the instantaneous response on throttle-lift. The "downshift" action that elevates the regen braking level is a hoot! On downhill approaches to corners or even stops it really does slow the car noticeable in a nice progressive way as you do more "downshifting."

In fact when the braking regen is highest, I've been wondering if the rear brake lights are illuminated even though not touching the brake pedal. The action easily replicates applying "mid-level" foot pressure for braking; definitely more than just tapping the brakes. So does anyone know if higher-level regen braking on EVs is required to activate the brake light? I've tried to see in sideview or rearview mirrors at night but can't convince myself of yes or no. I would say if they are not applying the brake lights then you better consider close-following traffic because they won't be anticipating your vehicle's braking reaction.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
In fact when the braking regen is highest, I've been wondering if the rear brake lights are illuminated even though not touching the brake pedal
On some vehicles yes, on others no (Honda is in the "no" camp).
The "high" setting on the Clarity is about a "medium" when compared to vehicles that allow for true one pedal driving.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
On some vehicles yes, on others no (Honda is in the "no" camp).
The "high" setting on the Clarity is about a "medium" when compared to vehicles that allow for true one pedal driving.
Tesla’s do, but it’s based on the amount of regen being used. You can see on the image of the car on the screen when the brake lights are activated, so much easier than trying to see the lights themselves in the mirrors.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Tesla’s do, but it’s based on the amount of regen being used. You can see on the image of the car on the screen when the brake lights are activated, so much easier than trying to see the lights themselves in the mirrors.
Speaking of, I really hope rivian has a comparable vehicle visualization screen, that shows the vehicles condition and what the vehicle detects around it. If rivian falls really short of what tesla offers it may be the final straw for me.

I've tried not claim "deal breaker" in response to many of the features rivian has removed or stated they will not offer. Some have been disappointing but for the most part I understand these things happen. In this case it would be the result of a cumulative effect of smaller disappointments.

I can accept rivian not frogleaping the technology that tesla has. I cannot accept rivian not matching the technology of tesla.

OP
OP

Huh

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Allroad and Q5
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
I like the idea of paddles used for regen, tank turn, height adjustment, and/or ?? You could switch between their functions in the software.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Speaking of, I really hope rivian has a comparable vehicle visualization screen, that shows the vehicles condition and what the vehicle detects around it. If rivian falls really short of what tesla offers it may be the final straw for me.

I've tried not claim "deal breaker" in response to many of the features rivian has removed or stated they will not offer. Some have been disappointing but for the most part I understand these things happen. In this case it would be the result of a cumulative effect of smaller disappointments.

I can accept rivian not frogleaping the technology that tesla has. I cannot accept rivian not matching the technology of tesla.
This expresses my feelings exactly, although I might be inclined to give Rivian the benefit of the doubt if it was possible update via OTA in a reasonable time frame.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I like the idea of paddles used for ..., tank turn, ...
I wonder how they will do tank turn. Ideal, IMO, would be like the joysticks used to control drones: move it forward or aft to move the truck back and forth and rotate it to rotate the truck.
Sponsored