Sponsored

paddle shifters yes or no?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wonder how they will do tank turn. Ideal, IMO, would be like the joysticks used to control drones: move it forward or aft to move the truck back and forth and rotate it to rotate the truck.
Why would they create physical controls just for tank turn?

Just have it be a button in the UI to enable, then you turn the steering wheel and software does the rest.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Probably mostly because of my (limited) experience with drones and because a tank turn isn't a normal maneuver. I see doing it in a tight spot in the woods in which small forward and reverse motions will be combined with the rotation in place. Seems to me this would be awkward with steering wheel, accelerator, brake pedal and shifter all involved. Move the joy stick forward and the vehicle goes forward. Move it to center and it stops. Move it to the rear and it goes backward. Rotate it and the vehicle rotates in place. Push it forward while rotating it and the vehicle moves forward while turning on its axis. Can't picture doing that whilst having to deal with brake, accelerator and shifter.

Now I agree that having to have an extra joy stick for this function would complicate things but perhaps that is a good thing. Makes it clear to the driver that this is not normal driving in any way.

Now perhaps they could modify the steering column instead so that it is sort of like the yoke of an airplane. In tank mode turning the wheel would yaw the vehicle, pushing it forward would apply forward thrust and pulling it back reverse thrust. Somebody is going to jump in and say that's not how an airplanes yoke works and that's true so I'll say it here. It wouldn't even be necessary to have the column yield to the pressure - just sense it.

In any case, an interesting challenge for the human factors guys. Hence my curiosity.

In tanks, front loaders and things like that I think two levers are more or less traditional. Push a lever forward or back and thrust in the corresponding direction is applied on that side of the vehicle.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I can't tell if you're being serious or trolling.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

If it comes down to it, the chances are better that Rivian would scrap the tank turn idea rather than develop a unique system to control it.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
In tanks, front loaders and things like that I think two levers are more or less traditional. Push a lever forward or back and thrust in the corresponding direction is applied on that side of the vehicle.
Most skid steers are now joystick controlled. They use to have two hand controls for movement of each side & foot controls for loader control, but now most of them are joysticks for both.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
If it comes down to it, the chances are better that Rivian would scrap the tank turn idea rather than develop a unique system to control it.
I rather thought that they would do that rather than allow inexperienced operators to put the stresses on the vehicle that a tank turn would involve. I then thought that perhaps they would require drivers to waive some portion of the drive train warranty.

But they are advertising it enough that I think it is going to be available which means they have to control it. The joystick is the obvious way to go but as has been pointed out there are reasons they may well not want to do that. I don't think they will have a pair of levers and I don't see how it could be done with the regular controls without being extremely awkward. So I'm pretty excited about seeing what they come up with.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Most skid steers are now joystick controlled. They use to have two hand controls for movement of each side & foot controls for loader control, but now most of them are joysticks for both.
True. It's been a while since I drove a BobCat and I can't honestly remember how it was done but the modern ones definitely use a joystick. But I can't see a full sized joystick jutting up out of the console. Maybe a scroll wheel for thrust and a rotating ring around it for yaw set into the console under a protective door? Two scroll wheels on the steering wheel emulating the traditonal levers perhaps?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Maybe I'm under-thinking this, but why would they ever have to make tank turn so complicated to do? It's all controlled via the computer, and only allowed in areas that GPS says you can do it.

It should be as easy as coming to a stop in an approved location. Pressing the 'tank turn button' on the console. And mashing the accelerator pedal. Everything else is controlled by the computer.

If you want to get fancy, you could use the turn signal to identify which way you want to tank turn.

Boom, done, easy.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Which tells me that you have never operated a frontloader, a drone or an airplane.
Ran a fork lift while I was in college.

Never confused a fork lift for a road-legal passenger vehicle, however.

But hey, we can't all be rocket surgeons; you do you.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Maybe I'm under-thinking this, but why would they ever have to make tank turn so complicated to do?
It really isn't complicated at all. I think that limiting the control to one degree of freedom would render the maneuver pretty useless but as its mostly a marketing gimmick perhaps that's there intention. You want at least two degrees of freedom (yaw and forward/reverse) to make it useful. Think about what a BobCat does.

[/QUOTE]

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Seems like Rvivan could provide another video here, inside the vehicle view of how to initiate the tank turn. They have done it, it works, now show us how it works. I think of it as a "virtual" test drive.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Ran a fork lift while I was in college.
Then there should be no question in your mind as to whether I was serious or not.

Never confused a fork lift for a road-legal passenger vehicle, however.
Me either. But here we have a street legal vehicle that can do something that isn't street legal when off the roads. It follows that it should be convenient to control that something. A fork lift can do a tank turn. It has two degrees of freedom and controls which permit controlling those two. The truck is going to need the same.

But hey, we can't all be rocket surgeons; you do you.
I'm afraid I don't know what a "rocket surgeon" is. Rockets have 4 degrees of freedom. And I have no clue what "you do you" means?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I still can’t tell whether you’re an intelligent troll, or a dimwitted one, but either way I’m not going to continue this. I’ve watched you pick fights with others on this forum, and I don’t think your posts contribute enough value to be worth the trouble of dealing with you. Congrats, you’re the first and only user on my ignore list.

Have a good life.

Now the forum can return to it’s regularly scheduled, productive and collaborative discussions.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired