Sponsored

one door is pretty horribly formed among other issues (still love the truck overall, though)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Ah man…you got me all worried now…😬
Just find a body shop you trust and ask Rivian to send the truck there. Or at least qualify the skill level of the person actually working on your truck. Make them walk you through what they will do and how they will do it. Don’t just drop the truck and hope for the best. Set your expectations with them up front and be clear in writing (just a quick note or list) what you want corrected and how you expect it to be. With the App you fill out what The issue is and then the service team translates what you reported to a work order. That’s where a lot of things get lost

Any body shop that has Porsche/Audi certification is usually a safe bet. They have all the grey beard guys who know body work and how to paint.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just find a body shop you trust and ask Rivian to send the truck there. Or at least qualify the skill level of the person actually working on your truck. Make them walk you through what they will do and how they will do it. Don’t just drop the truck and hope for the best. Set your expectations with them up front and be clear in writing (just a quick note or list) what you want corrected and how you expect it to be. With the App you fill out what The issue is and then the service team translates what you reported to a work order. That’s where a lot of things get lost

Any body shop that has Porsche/Audi certification is usually a safe bet. They have all the grey beard guys who know body work and how to paint.
Oh, they’ve had mine for 3 weeks now. They fixed panels at service center and now it’s at a body shop being fully resprayed…apparently certified to do the brands you mentioned.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Oh, they’ve had mine for 3 weeks now. They fixed panels at service center and now it’s at a body shop being fully resprayed…apparently certified to do the brands you mentioned.
That’s good news, it’s being done by body work pros vs Rivian service. Can you Ask what shop it is and swing by to check up on it?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hopefully they are hooking you up with a bunch of accessories or something else to make up for the repair.

you will probably end up with a better paint job than factory. Most of the trucks have pretty bad orange peel in the clear coat. Not a huge deal but I bet the body shop will paint by hand and wet sand for a great finish.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That’s good news, it’s being done by body work pros vs Rivian service. Can you Ask what shop it is and swing by to check up on it?
It’s an Autonation shop…4.5 hours away from me.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Hopefully they are hooking you up with a bunch of accessories or something else to make up for the repair.

you will probably end up with a better paint job than factory. Most of the trucks have pretty bad orange peel in the clear coat. Not a huge deal but I bet the body shop will paint by hand and wet sand for a great finish.
Yeah, that’s the hope. Supposed to be ready next week.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
they worked on my trucks fenders, hood and passenger door. They improved the fit on the hood and fenders, had to shim up the passenger fender using washers…but they broke a bunch of the trim clips for the plastic covers that flak the frunk and just left them flopping in there. They messed with the door and made it worse. I ended up fixing the door myself since I have some body work experience. The passenger door had to be tapped about 1/8” clockwise at the hinges and I had to adjust the door catch.

The techs also scratched and chipped my fender when they were reattaching a missed fender trim clip. Instead of taking the trim off, adding the clip and puttingit back on, they used a pick tool to force the clip on and didn’t bother to put a few pieces of tape down on the body to avoid scratches. Lack of experience, rushing work and no one verified the work when done.
The service manager Tried to play it off as minor. I have no issue with accidents but damage that can be easily avoided is pretty disappointing.

my alignment is still not right after two attempts. The guide and service team have gone dark on me now for a week…probably hoping I go away.

Last thing I will say is the service manager was super focused on my experience…instead of focusing on the results. He told me “we did our best” which has nothing to do with anything. Either you fix it or you don't. It’s like he wanted me to acknowledge the effort vs. the results. Kept asking me whatare you up to this weekend and have you take the truck off road yet? That’s car salesman BS, trying to change the subject and get a positive/yes out of you. Nonsense
Hopefully Rivian gets the feedback on these mistakes.

It's disconcerting that there's no feedback system, no feature request system and calling (or answering a call from) RIVIAN5 is a groundhog day restart, blank page.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I’m glad I’m getting a 2023 Explore next year instead of now. It will give Rivian time to to work out the first year kinks.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
they worked on my trucks fenders, hood and passenger door. They improved the fit on the hood and fenders, had to shim up the passenger fender using washers…but they broke a bunch of the trim clips for the plastic covers that flak the frunk and just left them flopping in there. They messed with the door and made it worse. I ended up fixing the door myself since I have some body work experience. The passenger door had to be tapped about 1/8” clockwise at the hinges and I had to adjust the door catch.

The techs also scratched and chipped my fender when they were reattaching a missed fender trim clip. Instead of taking the trim off, adding the clip and puttingit back on, they used a pick tool to force the clip on and didn’t bother to put a few pieces of tape down on the body to avoid scratches. Lack of experience, rushing work and no one verified the work when done.
The service manager Tried to play it off as minor. I have no issue with accidents but damage that can be easily avoided is pretty disappointing.

my alignment is still not right after two attempts. The guide and service team have gone dark on me now for a week…probably hoping I go away.

Last thing I will say is the service manager was super focused on my experience…instead of focusing on the results. He told me “we did our best” which has nothing to do with anything. Either you fix it or you don't. It’s like he wanted me to acknowledge the effort vs. the results. Kept asking me whatare you up to this weekend and have you take the truck off road yet? That’s car salesman BS, trying to change the subject and get a positive/yes out of you. Nonsense

Thanks for the feedback. This was pretty similar to the feeling I got from my Tesla service center. "We can try to address it" really means please don't let us touch your vehicle unless its a major issue, anything we do fix will be at the cost of something else and you'll never be completely satisfied.

I'm most confused about your alignment, larger panel gaps and issues from the factory are harder to address after the fact but vehicles have needed to be aligned after production for years. How hard could it be unless its just a complete lack of experience. It's early so these issues will pop up, I'm hoping they don't go the Tesla route and actually reduce issues from the factory in addition to improve the service center experience beyond shoulder shrugging when it's not something simple.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rydb

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

the tech looked at the door and came to the same conclusion everyone has, you can't fix this by adjusting the door. it's even at the top and bottom and way out in the middle. the two doors just don't match each other, so one or both of them are wrong.

hopefully I hear something back soon about this because it's pretty bad and anyone I point it out to is pretty shocked it's like that.

the tech also looked at my driver window that runs into the trim when I put it up and it looks like that door is bent or something, too. the glass is headed for way closer to the window frame on that one than the passenger side.

Attachments

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Wonder how that scratch happened?

Rivian R1T R1S one door is pretty horribly formed among other issues (still love the truck overall, though) 1650568327405

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
the tech looked at the door and came to the same conclusion everyone has, you can't fix this by adjusting the door. it's even at the top and bottom and way out in the middle. the two doors just don't match each other, so one or both of them are wrong.

hopefully I hear something back soon about this because it's pretty bad and anyone I point it out to is pretty shocked it's like that.

the tech also looked at my driver window that runs into the trim when I put it up and it looks like that door is bent or something, too. the glass is headed for way closer to the window frame on that one than the passenger side.
I fixed mine. It was pretty easy. I just loosened the bold on the hinge of the back door and adjusted it in a little bit. Pretty easy…. You can see where the bolt that goes to the door moved closer to the car. Essentially moving that middle section of the door inwards. Took about a minute.

Rivian R1T R1S one door is pretty horribly formed among other issues (still love the truck overall, though) EED71F69-D8E2-4CA9-870C-AA1F3229BBCF

Rivian R1T R1S one door is pretty horribly formed among other issues (still love the truck overall, though) 21C36749-181F-48CC-8463-1B3A95F82BA3

Rivian R1T R1S one door is pretty horribly formed among other issues (still love the truck overall, though) 92F88106-0201-4914-B3A0-592EDF6234BA

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
Don’t get me wrong. It’s not 100% perfect. But i would say it’s 90% better.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Tesla allows buyers to refuse delivery because of issues. Is that possible with Rivian?
Sponsored