First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
This was long over due. Glad Rivian listened to us & provided this feature. I've been using Dash Cameras in my vehicles for over 7 years & have been able to provide "on-the-spot" video proof to Troopers/Police and the other driver got the tickets & insurance repair bill in 5 or 6 different occasions. Thank You Rivian :cool:

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I like the live chat through the app kind of thing.

I tend to be really busy during the day so I vastly prefer texting or emailing over calling.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Hmmm, so you don't need anything added for Incidents? Nice

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Am I reading this correctly? Incidents only occur when you hard brake or do a few other alarming things? And then it only catches the previous 15 seconds?

i don’t want to be a Debbie downer, but this is a bit disappointing. Maybe I’m missing something, but when I had my Tesla I used the dash cam feature to capture when another diver cut me off (but I didn’t need to hard brake) or another time when an accident occurred that I witnessed, but wasn’t a part of. Both times the incident happened more then 15 seconds before I decided it would be good to capture + there was no hard breaking or anything else I needed to do. With Tesla, no issue, just press a button and it recorded the last 10 minutes, which was plenty far enough back to capture what I wanted to record.

I was really hoping for similar functionality. I guess I might need to invest in an aftermarket dash cam. 😞

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Am I reading this correctly? Incidents only occur when you hard brake or do a few other alarming things? And then it only catches the previous 15 seconds?

i don’t want to be a Debbie downer, but this is a bit disappointing. Maybe I’m missing something, but when I had my Tesla I used the dash cam feature to capture when another diver cut me off (but I didn’t need to hard brake) or another time when an accident occurred that I witnessed, but wasn’t a part of. Both times the incident happened more then 15 seconds before I decided it would be good to capture + there was no hard breaking or anything else I needed to do. With Tesla, no issue, just press a button and it recorded the last 10 minutes, which was plenty far enough back to capture what I wanted to record.

I was really hoping for similar functionality. I guess I might need to invest in an aftermarket dash cam. 😞
Just turn on full time recording if you think you’ll need it.

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just turn on full time recording if you think you’ll need it.
It’s hard because I don’t know when I’ll need it. And it sounds like full time recording will just stop when the drive is full. That could be a good solution if they would just delete the old footage when the drive was full to make room for the new footage. Essentially allowing for the last X hours of footage always being available. Maybe in a future update?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

15 seconds before and then 1:45 after the incident. The car keeps a rolling buffer that's only saved to the drive when an incident is detected. It's not meant for situations like recording someone else's accident.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I wonder what happened for them to create service mode. Did some owner start fiddling while the car was being worked on and cause an issue?

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

If someone cuts you off, honk your horn. That also flags it and will record.

15 seconds is quite a long time for road incidents.

If you are worried about it, just enable "drive cam" and it will record everything in addition to flagging incidents. Incidents won't get overwritten.

You are really complaining about a non-issue. Enable drive cam. Done.

Sponsored

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If someone cuts you off, honk your horn. That also flags it and will record.

15 seconds is quite a long time for road incidents.

If you are worried about it, just enable "drive cam" and it will record everything in addition to flagging incidents. Incidents won't get overwritten.

You are really complaining about a non-issue. Enable drive cam. Done.
Totally agree that drive cam can work for the situations I used to use the Tesla version for, but only if it recorded continuously. If I’m reading it correctly, it looks like it stops recording when the drive is full. I guess I just need to be on top of emptying it out.. 🤷‍♂️

I get it that not everyone is looking for it to cover the same cases I was thinking about, but I was hoping the system would do so seamlessly. It’s definitely a step in the right direction.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Totally agree that drive cam can work for the situations I used to use the Tesla version for, but only if it recorded continuously. If I’m reading it correctly, it looks like it stops recording when the drive is full. I guess I just need to be on top of emptying it out.. 🤷‍♂️

I get it that not everyone is looking for it to cover the same cases I was thinking about, but I was hoping the system would do so seamlessly. It’s definitely a step in the right direction.
Incidents are recorded to internal storage so external drive is not required. If you want to record entire drives with drive cam then add a 1TB SSD for $60. I'm sure it behaves like every single DVR/NVR I have ever worked with and overwrites oldest first. You don't have to manually delete it once full. That's bonkers.

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Incidents are recorded to internal storage so external drive is not required. If you want to record entire drives with drive cam then add a 1TB SSD for $60. I'm sure it behaves like every single DVR/NVR I have ever worked with and overwrites oldest first. You don't have to manually delete it once full. That's bonkers.
Got the update recently. Am happy to report that I misunderstood the release notes and that drive cam will totally work for the things I was hoping for. Thanks all for letting me know that I was misunderstanding it!

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

Mine hasn’t recorded while just drive. It is supposed to do that, correct? Everything turned on and the drive was properly formatted. Did a soft reset. 2 minute clips record though when I tap the icon to start.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Image quality, especially the important front, is quite a disappointment. Can’t really replace a real dash cam for evidence.
Sponsored