Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I was told those who prove that they charge prudently and treat the battery properly might see an individual improvement via OTA, possibly with little or no notice. It could be that you follow the guidelines and charge to no more that 70% the vast majority of the time, and keep the battery from draining too far before charging again. Then, you get into your Rivian one day, and Bingo!, your range is greater than expected.

That privilege would likely be revocable if later the pattern of battery use/abuse changes, or should a new owner treat the battery differently. As Rivian is warranting the battery to at least 70% of its original capability for the earlier of 8 years or 175k miles, it would be a privilege to have more of the total capacity "unlocked". I think I also heard that a temporary unlocking might be possible, in a pinch, but that isn't as clear in my memory as is the first scenario.

I'd guess general improvements and overall results could make possible wholesale unlocking of most all batteries possible. Wouldn't that be nice?
Great Insigh

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant
Apologies if this is old news, but I noticed today that the configurator now shows range reduction (in miles) expected for the tire sizes other than the 21" standard size
  • 21" Wheel/Tire = 314 Mile Range
  • 20" Wheel/Tire = 274 Mile Range (40 mile reduction)
  • 22" Wheel/Tire = 293 Mile Range (21 mile reduction)

I believe this is more specific than the "10-15%" loss that was previously being given.
So, sorry if I have missed this somewhere. But I would assume that the range reduction on the 20" tire is due to the all terrain tread design. Typically, you should have higher mileage with the smaller tire. Any estimates of what the range would be with a 20" road tire? Unless I am misunderstanding something, it should be higher than 314 miles.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
Why is no one talking about the difference in diameter of the wheels. The 20" AT have a larger diameter. Do we even know if the truck makes and changes to its speed sensor/ odometer is this something we cab change if we had a set of both for winter and summer?

Also I know that EV is completely different but this still has to have some impact on "gearing" right?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Why is no one talking about the difference in diameter of the wheels. The 20" AT have a larger diameter. Do we even know if the truck makes and changes to its speed sensor/ odometer is this something we cab change if we had a set of both for winter and summer?

Also I know that EV is completely different but this still has to have some impact on "gearing" right?
The tire/wheel configuration is coded into the vehicle.

if you change wheel/tire sizes, Rivian has to reconfigure the vehicle from their end.

it is not user adjustable as on tesla etc(not yet anyway.)

this has been discussed on this forum in various threads.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
🤔 I see a lot of only to 70% on here. My Hyundai suggests only to 80% unless going on a road trip. I wonder which is better to go by. I usually allow it to get to 30-40% before recharging. So I only really charge mine about 1-2 times a week. Driving about 70kms (round trip) a day to work and back.

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Need to poke the aftermarket into making a nice aero cover to snap on to the 20" AT wheels (and the 22s for that matter) to get a bit better highway efficiency. Great example for Teslas: https://rimetrix.com/
Some of the The original unveilings at the auto shows had zero covers on the 20’s actually. Check around at the LA auto show I believe and shows 20’s with covers
Sponsored