First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
To be clear: You are saying a Rivian representative (Tony?) confirmed on Rivian stories that the Dual-Max etc. is 400v? I don't watch them if I can possibly avoid it.
Yes. A drive train engineer.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I believe he said it is a 450V nominal system, to be more precise.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
They did today in the RS podcast. It's 400v. I will probably cancel my max pack. I don't need to soende extra mileage for 70 miles of added range and continued subpar charging for the size of battery.
It’s absolutely ludicrous that they are choosing to use a third party blog/podcast as a channel to get information to customers. Not everybody watches/reads/listens to that site‘s output. And Rivian knows it, surely. It’s like they’re trying to tell as few customers as possible.

way back in October they said they’d have more max pack information in the coming weeks. They could have just said at that time the max pack as advertised isn’t happening, but instead hose to string people along for another couple months.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It’s absolutely ludicrous that they are choosing to use a third party blog/podcast as a channel to get information to customers. Not everybody watches/reads/listens to that site‘s output. And Rivian knows it, surely. It’s like they’re trying to tell as few customers as possible.

way back in October they said they’d have more max pack information in the coming weeks. They could have just said at that time the max pack as advertised isn’t happening, but instead hose to string people along for another couple months.
Yeah, I don't get why they didn't just say "TBD" for the max pack orders in October.

Rivian has never really directly addressed the voltage of the current system formally. It's a frustration of mine, but it's clearly their intent to be Apple-like and not share technical information about the vehicles.

They also do a "Rivian responds" on Reddit.

Each manufacturer gets information out in different ways. I'm just happy they shared the information at all. That's a significant improvement from the shit-show that was trying to figure out if the large pack had their 800v switch patent implemented at the start of the year because their website was so confusing.

I'll take the interaction they've been doing over the last few months over them only answering questions at these investor forums that basically nobody knows about unless they're very into the financial world.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I don't get why they didn't just say "TBD" for the max pack orders in October.

Rivian has never really directly addressed the voltage of the current system formally. It's a frustration of mine, but it's clearly their intent to be Apple-like and not share technical information about the vehicles.

They also do a "Rivian responds" on Reddit.

Each manufacturer gets information out in different ways. I'm just happy they shared the information at all. That's a significant improvement from the shit-show that was trying to figure out if the large pack had their 800v switch patent implemented at the start of the year because their website was so confusing.

I'll take the interaction they've been doing over the last few months over them only answering questions at these investor forums that basically nobody knows about unless they're very into the financial world.
They could send out a “hey customers here‘s the outreach stuff we’ve done recently!” Summary email aith the stuff they did with Rivian stories/Reddit/wherever

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I completely agree that it is inappropriate for Rivian to provide key information to their customers first via third party podcasts rather than using their own substantial company communication assets. I have no problem with Rivian releasing communications using a layered approach - high level announcement with embedded links to more details and then links to even more detailed Q and A (to ensure message consistency and relieve call center volume and chat activity.) I do not think ANY communication details should first become public because Tony and Mason appear as guests on Rivian Stories podcasts with softball questions tossed out by the obsequious hosts. Those interviews should only happen after all the information was communicated using company-owned media.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yeah, I get the complaints about the extra details coming out through a podcast, considering no company, sports team, celebrity, politician, etc. has EVER used such a strategy before of providing information to friendly media. And beyond that, Tesla's PR department certainly wouldn't do that.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I completely agree that it is inappropriate for Rivian to provide key information to their customers first via third party podcasts rather than using their own substantial company communication assets. I have no problem with Rivian releasing communications using a layered approach - high level announcement with embedded links to more details and then links to even more detailed Q and A (to ensure message consistency and relieve call center volume and chat activity.) I do not think ANY communication details should first become public because Tony and Mason appear as guests on Rivian Stories podcasts with softball questions tossed out by the obsequious hosts. Those interviews should only happen after all the information was communicated using company-owned media.
What about MotorTrend?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

What about MotorTrend?
In my view, if Rivian is communicating something that relates to or affects customer preorder configurations or delivered Rivian vehicle owners, that should come directly from Rivian first. If they also want to supplement their own communication by sharing the same information via third-party podcasts, magazines, websites, that is good - as a supplemental communication method.. We should not be relying on catching an article in Motor Trend or a Rivian Stories podcast to hear about these details.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hmmmmm is the ford lightning 400V? And what voltage is Tesla?
Cybertruck is supposed to be "MW charging compatible" but that says nothing for what their charging voltage or current actually will be.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

^ This.

The idea that I as an owner have to follow that site to get information on a timely basis is offensive to say the least. And lazy.

I understand viral marketing and buzz. But Rivian and Tony need to do this better. Tony has proven he is able to get newsletters to all reservation holders, owners, and/or just a subset of owners, etc.

So why not inform owners of any spec or process changes? Do the very best you can to cover all the information you are going to release in any given communication. Then schedule interviews with whoever your choice of talking heads are.

Don't fret......they'll still fight for the access for any Rivian employee authorized to breathe in front of them.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I get the complaints about the extra details coming out through a podcast, considering no company, sports team, celebrity, politician, etc. has EVER used such a strategy before of providing information to friendly media. And beyond that, Tesla's PR department certainly wouldn't do that.
It’s not a pr thing, it’s an “informing customers directly about changes to the product they’ve put money down to purchase“ thing.

putting out a press release to announce something new is one thing.

Telling one niche outlet about customer critical information rather than getting it customers directly is just dumb.

tesla doesn’t even have a PR department but maybe that’s the joke…

Reactions: Jac

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs