DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It will definitely be available almost exclusively electronically, and I’m sure someone will upload it here.
I'd be surprised if the manual didn't also come in a hardcopy, but I'd sure love to receive the electronic version at least a week in advance of taking ownership, in order to study it beforehand. I've done that with my last few cars, and it was a huge help. Once the vehicle shows up, my ADHD keeps me from doing that deep dive into the manual. I just end up driving the car and figuring most of it out on the fly. Two years, fifteen thousand miles, and four camping trips later, and it's, "Oh! So that's where they put that Camp Kitchen. Cool!"
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'd be surprised if the manual didn't also come in a hardcopy, but I'd sure love to receive the electronic version at least a week in advance of taking ownership, in order to study it beforehand. I've done that with my last few cars, and it was a huge help. Once the vehicle shows up, my ADHD keeps me from doing that deep dive into the manual. I just end up driving the car and figuring most of it out on the fly. Two years, fifteen thousand miles, and four camping trips later, and it's, "Oh! So that's where they put that Camp Kitchen. Cool!"
I'll personally be surprised if it is available anywhere other than on the touchscreen on the dash in the vehicle or possibly through their app or on the web through your account portal. This way they can keep it up to date whenever they add or change vehicle features with OTA updates.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'll personally be surprised if it is available anywhere other than on the touchscreen on the dash in the vehicle or possibly through their app or on the web through your account portal. This way they can keep it up to date whenever they add or change vehicle features with OTA updates.
[/QUOTE/]
I had the same thought. Probably has nothing to do with what our current cars are... ?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I usually don’t look at the owners manual until I need to program home link. And then never look at it again.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I usually don’t look at the owners manual until I need to program home link. And then never look at it again.
I'll still be surprised if there's not some form of hardcopy to augment an online manual available to anyone who has internet access. Maybe I'm old-school, but I've never seen a vehicle without one. And no, I've never been in a Tesla.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'll still be surprised if there's not some form of hardcopy to augment an online manual available to anyone who has internet access. Maybe I'm old-school, but I've never seen a vehicle without one. And no, I've never been in a Tesla.
Tesla does have a PDF owners manual you can download from your account.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Tesla does have a PDF owners manual you can download from your account.
I love that my last several cars have had a pdf version of their owner's manual available. Funny, but in going through my phone the other day, I found the manuals for four vehicles still in my documents folder. Maybe it's time for a Spring cleaning.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
it will have one in the vehicle, via the infotainment screen ?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
it will have one in the vehicle, via the infotainment screen ?
Chapter 1 is how to turn on the infotainment screen and access the owners manual ?

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Volvo no longer provides a printed manual with the vehicle. You can still order one but that's an extra $28.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9683/~/obtain-a-printed-owners-manuals
I just test drove an XC40 Recharge and checked out the hard copy before leaving the parking lot. Dealer must have ordered it up. That change by Volvo must have happened in the years between making my 2015 XC60 and your 2018 model, or perhaps since then..

From what all of you are telling me here, and with all of mine already downloaded to my phone and tablet, I can proudly say this old dog has learned a new trick. Thanks for the education!

Now, where’s my damn treat! This salivation is getting nasty! ?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I also wouldn't be surprised if Rivian went the route of interactive tutorials for common features. Sort of like a tour that you can refer back to. on your phone, in the vehicle, or through other devices.

Back to off roading ... :D

I am fairly new to off-roading (i.e. never done it in my life) and from what I can read here it sounds like the RIvian is more than capable of some beginner/intermediate stuff. Any suggestions for spots to hit up in the PNW that are forgiving for beginners?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rivian went the route of interactive tutorials for common features. Sort of like a tour that you can refer back to. on your phone, in the vehicle, or through other devices.

I am fairly new to off-roading (i.e. never done it in my life) and from what I can read here it sounds like the RIvian is more than capable of some beginner/intermediate stuff. Any suggestions for spots to hit up in the PNW that are forgiving for beginners?
While working in Seattle I unfortunately didn't get the time I wanted to explore the back country. That being said, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Vancouver Island have vast networks of logging roads that are fun to explore, some more treacherous than others, but great for getting access to the bush but also not so hair raising that you can't get out. There has to be something similar in the PNW.

Maybe check this out as a starting point as I just stumbled across it myself and looks great
https://www.alltrails.com/us/washington/off-road-driving

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
While working in Seattle I unfortunately didn't get the time I wanted to explore the back country. That being said, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Vancouver Island have vast networks of logging roads that are fun to explore, some more treacherous than others, but great for getting access to the bush but also not so hair raising that you can't get out. There has to be something similar in the PNW.

Maybe check this out as a starting point as I just stumbled across it myself and looks great
https://www.alltrails.com/us/washington/off-road-driving
Thanks! We use AllTrails for hiking and didn't realize they had an off road section. Super cool.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

Highly recommend checking out the Backcountry Discovery Routes. They're a great organization and have lots of routes in WA, OR, and ID. Typically they're more ADV bike focused but it's mostly forest service roads and (barring washouts) are a good mix of passable but occasionally challenging in most full sized rigs as well - I've driven most of the WABDR in my old Jeep without issue (erm, besides the mechanical variety). I do recommend making sure you have a buddy and recovery gear just in case. Fortunately they have moderate traffic (bikes and jeeps) in the summer so odds are someone well equipped will stumble along in a couple hours if you get in trouble.

Side benefit to the BDRs is that there is truly gorgeous country and plenty of dispersed camping. Just be cautious in fire season (around here, basically late June through October...) - I've had to divert multiple times due to fires and air quality can be an issue. (And, naturally, be attentive to burn bans and extremely careful with your own fires, sparks, cigarette butts, overheating macbooks, gender reveals, or whatever, regardless of burn bans.)

If you're going from Seattle, you can pick up halfway and follow the BDR northbound from Ellensburg, up and over Table Mountain, past Wenatchee, through Winthrop and up to Hart's Pass and there are some amazing highlights every day. Then drive west over Highway 20 and enjoy some of the most scenic highway in the country.

The southern stretch is also good but a bit more technical and could be a bit of a charging desert, whereas northbound you can charge in Cle Elum, Chelan, Mazama (L2), Newhalem (L2) etc. - though the stretch from Chelan to Newhalem could be a challenge if you are in a hurry.
Sponsored

Last edited: