Sponsored

Off Roading Question:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Highly recommend checking out the Backcountry Discovery Routes. They're a great organization and have lots of routes in WA, OR, and ID. Typically they're more ADV bike focused but it's mostly forest service roads and (barring washouts) are a good mix of passable but occasionally challenging in most full sized rigs as well - I've driven most of the WABDR in my old Jeep without issue (erm, besides the mechanical variety). I do recommend making sure you have a buddy and recovery gear just in case. Fortunately they have moderate traffic (bikes and jeeps) in the summer so odds are someone well equipped will stumble along in a couple hours if you get in trouble.

Side benefit to the BDRs is that there is truly gorgeous country and plenty of dispersed camping. Just be cautious in fire season (around here, basically late June through October...) - I've had to divert multiple times due to fires and air quality can be an issue.

If you're going from Seattle, you can pick up halfway and follow the BDR northbound from Ellensburg, up and over Table Mountain, past Wenatchee, through Winthrop and up to Hart's Pass and there are some amazing highlights every day. Then drive west over Highway 20 and enjoy some of the most scenic highway in the country.

The southern stretch is also good but a bit more technical and could be a bit of a charging desert, whereas northbound you can charge in Cle Elum, Chelan, Mazama (L2), Newhalem (L2) etc. - though the stretch from Chelan to Newhalem could be a challenge if you are in a hurry.
This is such a great resource, thanks for sharing! I've visited Wenatchee, Cle Elum, Leavenworth etc. through paved roads so the opportunity to get to them a different way is so appealing. Heck, I get excited when I find a street on my walk that I never use, and then discover that it leads to somewhere familiar.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
This is such a great resource, thanks for sharing! I've visited Wenatchee, Cle Elum, Leavenworth etc. through paved roads so the opportunity to get to them a different way is so appealing. Heck, I get excited when I find a street on my walk that I never use, and then discover that it leads to somewhere familiar.
Happy to! It's really amazing how much back roads both shrink and expand your perspective of the North Cascades. It's awesome to see how everything connects off-highway (and there are some fun historical gems like the Old Blewett Hwy) and it makes everything feel smaller and closer together... until you get somewhere like the overlook on top of Hart's Pass and the vista comes right up and slaps you across the face.

(p.s. - Hart's Pass isn't technically on the BDR but is well worth the drive and a Rivian should have no problem. Take Hwy 20 to Mazama, then head north to the Slate Peak lookout. There's a great campground at Meadows right by the top. Bring a telescope if you have one. If you keep adventuring north past the ranger station, don't try to ford Slate Creek... trust me. RIP my friend's Dakota ?)

One of my favorite boondocking sites along Table Mountain:
Rivian R1T R1S Off Roading Question: 1621020540530

View from Slate Peak at sunset:
Rivian R1T R1S Off Roading Question: 20200728_033921000_iOS

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Happy to! It's really amazing how much back roads both shrink and expand your perspective of the North Cascades. It's awesome to see how everything connects off-highway (and there are some fun historical gems like the Old Blewett Hwy) and it makes everything feel smaller and closer together... until you get somewhere like the overlook on top of Hart's Pass and the vista comes right up and slaps you across the face.

(p.s. - Hart's Pass isn't technically on the BDR but is well worth the drive and a Rivian should have no problem. Take Hwy 20 to Mazama, then head north to the Slate Peak lookout. There's a great campground at Meadows right by the top. Bring a telescope if you have one. If you keep adventuring north past the ranger station, don't try to ford Slate Creek... trust me. RIP my friend's Dakota ?)

One of my favorite boondocking sites along Table Mountain:
1621020540530.png

View from Slate Peak at sunset:
20200728_033921000_iOS.jpg
Beautiful pics! Gah I wish my Rivian were arriving sooner now - still, lots of good info in here for me to dwell on for next year :).

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Thanks! We use AllTrails for hiking and didn't realize they had an off road section. Super cool.
Sevengroove,

Here's a U.S. Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for the Willamette National Forest in Oregon. If you poke around the link, you'll find similar maps for every National Forest throughout the U.S. While they may not be the off-roading you were thinking of, they'll get you to places where you can find that kind of fun. If nothing else, the F.S. roads can get you off the pavement and to some scenery few may ever experince.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...000000000000&ttype=detail&cid=stelprdb5166883

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Highly recommend checking out the Backcountry Discovery Routes. They're a great organization and have lots of routes in WA, OR, and ID. Typically they're more ADV bike focused but it's mostly forest service roads and (barring washouts) are a good mix of passable but occasionally challenging in most full sized rigs as well - I've driven most of the WABDR in my old Jeep without issue (erm, besides the mechanical variety). I do recommend making sure you have a buddy and recovery gear just in case. Fortunately they have moderate traffic (bikes and jeeps) in the summer so odds are someone well equipped will stumble along in a couple hours if you get in trouble.

Side benefit to the BDRs is that there is truly gorgeous country and plenty of dispersed camping. Just be cautious in fire season (around here, basically late June through October...) - I've had to divert multiple times due to fires and air quality can be an issue. (And, naturally, be attentive to burn bans and extremely careful with your own fires, sparks, cigarette butts, overheating macbooks, gender reveals, or whatever, regardless of burn bans.)

If you're going from Seattle, you can pick up halfway and follow the BDR northbound from Ellensburg, up and over Table Mountain, past Wenatchee, through Winthrop and up to Hart's Pass and there are some amazing highlights every day. Then drive west over Highway 20 and enjoy some of the most scenic highway in the country.

The southern stretch is also good but a bit more technical and could be a bit of a charging desert, whereas northbound you can charge in Cle Elum, Chelan, Mazama (L2), Newhalem (L2) etc. - though the stretch from Chelan to Newhalem could be a challenge if you are in a hurry.
Kyle,

This is outstanding info. What a great way for the Rivian family to get together for a group adventure. It's nice that with the various highway and Forest Service road crossings, you could make anything from a short journey, up to one that may induce major Range Anxiety. I don't believe I've heard about this route before. Maybe that's because it doesn't take in Oregon. Bummer, but it's only a short jaunt from Portland, and Hood River has an E.A. station to allow a full charge before starting North from the Southern terminus.

Thank you!

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Maybe that's because it doesn't take in Oregon. Bummer, but it's only a short jaunt from Portland, and Hood River has an E.A. station to allow a full charge before starting North from the Southern terminus.
I think there’s an unofficial OR route, fwiw - I can’t vouch for it but it’s worth a shot! https://ridebdr.com/oohva/

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think there’s an unofficial OR route, fwiw - I can’t vouch for it but it’s worth a shot! https://ridebdr.com/oohva/
Kyle,

Thank you for opening my eyes to this group and their system of trails throughout Oregon. I'll likely be in touch with them soon. While their focus appears centered on motorcycles, I'm guessing much of this system would be doable in a Rivian. Charging will certainly limit much of these routes. All the more reason I hope to see either Rivian or E.A. build something in Burns. At some point, we'll see EVSE stations in lots of places.....just not "very, very soon".

Thanks again!
Sponsored