Sponsored

Odd Email from Rivian??

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
Are shop vehicles all lemons now? I got mine from the shop back in June - had to wait two weeks for it to arrive from the factory and it had something like 12 miles on it. When we went to get it, it was the best fit and finish of any (30+) at the SC.
Sponsored

Dhevey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
If this was the case shouldnā€™t my order just update in my account? Iā€™m just failing to see if this was the case that my guide wouldnā€™t reach out or the confirmation order in my account wouldnā€™t just update to proceed with the normal process of getting my order completed? If the order was truly unfulfilled from the production why wouldnā€™t they fulfill the orders for people that have those orders? Haha sorry Iā€™m not quite sure Iā€™m following that concept. Thatā€™s like saying I have an order for a new blue cell phone.ā€¦.that blue cell phone that I order gets created and instead of fulfilling my order they call and ask if I want to accept an order for the same blue phone I originally ordered? It just doesnā€™t quite make sense.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

The behavior (trying to pair you with what is available, which may or not be your original configuration) is entirely in keeping with Rivian's historic actions. As far as it not showing in your account, that's also legit. I got paired with something that was available and my account didn't show anything until about five minutes after I told my guide that I was down for what they offered. Then, poof, my config and estimated delivery date updated along with a VIN and an invite to start the purchase process. I took delivery two weeks later. I agree, call your guide. They may not be on the same team as the person that called you, they should be able to coordinate with them, see what they're referencing when they're offering you vehicles, and tell you the background of those vehicles (QC, fresh off the line, customer reject, etc.). Keep in mind, people are weird and some just cancel their orders once Rivian reaches out to say they've built their car and ask for the money...

Dhevey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
This happened to me as well. There are sales folks who work to pair order holders with unfulfilled or unclaimed vehicles coming off the production line. They're not shop vehicles, they're new vehicles that match your config that they can put you in much sooner than your current delivery estimate.

While the email looks sloppy, give them a call back tomorrow and chat with them. I'm positive it's a new vehicle (probably not even through final QC yet) and they can just assign it to you if you want it . That's how I got my R1S earlier than expected.
I canā€™t explain it, but all manufacturers do this. I had orders in for a Ford and a Lincoln, and it took six months to get them while they produced vehicles for the lot. I finally bought my Ford (Mach e) off the lot.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
The behavior (trying to pair you with what is available, which may or not be your original configuration) is entirely in keeping with Rivian's historic actions. As far as it not showing in your account, that's also legit. I got paired with something that was available and my account didn't show anything until about five minutes after I told my guide that I was down for what they offered. Then, poof, my config and estimated delivery date updated along with a VIN and an invite to start the purchase process. I took delivery two weeks later. I agree, call your guide. They may not be on the same team as the person that called you, they should be able to coordinate with them, see what they're referencing when they're offering you vehicles, and tell you the background of those vehicles (QC, fresh off the line, customer reject, etc.). Keep in mind, people are weird and some just cancel their orders once Rivian reaches out to say they've built their car and ask for the money...
I'm close to Normal so maybe a different scenario, but all vehicles have the same warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a shop or demo vehicle. As a matter of fact I just did buy a demo vehicle. Just waiting for it to get to Normal.

Sponsored

Twitter Fingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Are shop vehicles all lemons now? I got mine from the shop back in June - had to wait two weeks for it to arrive from the factory and it had something like 12 miles on it. When we went to get it, it was the best fit and finish of any (30+) at the SC.
No, they aren't. The OP's opinion of shop vehicles is totally incorrect

TucsonDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS-1
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Same thing happened to me. I received a call from a sales agent offering me the same vehicle I ordered except with different wheels and a performance upgrade. Long story short, they agreed to swap out the wheels and discount the upgrade if I wanted to get in sooner. As soon as I agreed, the vehicle information changed and a vin# was assigned. I was told that I would hear from my guide over the next week.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So Iā€™m really hopeful itā€™s ready by this summer as I really donā€™t want to risk an R1 shop vehicle.
You mean the same vehicle that comes off the same production line built by the same people? Thatā€™s all the Shop vehicles are - batch built vehicles not already designated for a specific order.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I donā€™t want an R1 shop vehicle and want a brand new one off the line.

Iā€˜m in no rush to risk getting a vehicle from the R1 shop, when I took my test drive a few months back I was told that those vehicles are either from people who cancelled their order after it was produced, didnā€™t pass QC, or more importantly declined by the owner on delivery day for various reasons (cosmetic issue, etc.) and put back in the shop. Which I donā€™t want to take even the smallest risk of it having any issue and still paying full price.
Let's clear up some FUD.

First off, "Lemons" are specifically vehicles that were delivered to customers, driven and unable to be repaired in a timely manner, based on various state laws. Lemons cannot be resold as new, and must explicility state it is a lemon on the title. Not a SINGLE VEHICLE coming out of the factory is a lemon.

From what many people have been told and experienced, shop vehicles appear to be:
1) Overproduction of a particular batch configuration run
2) Last minute cancellations
3) Vehicles that failed QC for any one of many possible reasons and need rework. Failed headlight? Scratched console lid? Hood didn't close properly in automatic mode? Missing screw holding wheel well plastic in place? Motor failed drive tests?

Here's the thing - some people won't take a shop vehicle because it might have been held for QC rework. Guess what? That vehicle is probably BETTER than a vehicle straight off the line because it was reworked and retested more thoroughly - by people specifically trained in doing this QC rework, as opposed to a guy working on the line who was hired 3 weeks ago and caused the rework problem in the first place!

Your existing Honda, Chevy or Subaru, etc. that you ordered new off the line could have failed QC and been reworked. You just never had a chance to even suspect it. These types of concerns about shop vehicles are FUD.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
Yes the OP does have an interesting view of the available inventory. We took one and, as mentioned earlier, it was the best delivery quality Iā€™ve seen in years. Whatā€™s even more interesting is that the OP doesnā€™t seem to be waiting on a specific configuration, just waiting for a ā€œgreenā€ oneā€¦ as in green banana.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Respond back with your ss# and credit card info so they can confirm they have the right person.

OP
OP
FormulaR1T

FormulaR1T

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, GLE 350, CBR 600RR
Occupation
Marketing Director
Clubs

Yes the OP does have an interesting view of the available inventory. We took one and, as mentioned earlier, it was the best delivery quality Iā€™ve seen in years. Whatā€™s even more interesting is that the OP doesnā€™t seem to be waiting on a specific configuration, just waiting for a ā€œgreenā€ oneā€¦ as in green banana.
If the shop stated why the vehicle was in the shop it would be a different story. But a lot of people reject them upon delivery for paint defects and body issues. Iā€™m not willing to pay full price 98k+ for a vehicle that while Iā€™m sure the issues was fixed but just the principal that it has already had a fix to it is not something Iā€˜m willing to risk.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
What do the email headers look like? is the reply-to email actually a rivian one? Did it come from a rivian email? Is the IP address in some weird country? etc.

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
I received an odd email and a phone call that I was not able to answer so he left a voicemail. The email seemed a little unprofessional with a random question mark in it as well as the voicemail. It was clear on the voicemail that he was reading off a script. I received this email from Tony (who is NOT my guide and I have never interacted with before) with the subject line Rivian Accelerated Delivery see screenshot attached. On the voicemail he said there was (after he took a really long pause) 5 orders that match my configuration ready to go and was wondering when I was ā€œready to pull the triggerā€. I donā€™t want an R1 shop vehicle and want a brand new one off the line. Is this in regard to them trying to match people with vehicles in the R1 shop? It just seems odd that he reached out and not my guide and my order in my account still says Configuration Confirmed. Iā€˜m in no rush to risk getting a vehicle from the R1 shop, when I took my test drive a few months back I was told that those vehicles are either from people who cancelled their order after it was produced, didnā€™t pass QC, or more importantly declined by the owner on delivery day for various reasons (cosmetic issue, etc.) and put back in the shop. Which I donā€™t want to take even the smallest risk of it having any issue and still paying full price.

IMG_0758.jpeg
As with all potential spam you should check the senderā€™s email address. Sometimes that can be spoofed but most of the time you can tell itā€™s not legit just from that. Also the link they sent you may look suspicious. Mouse over it and see where it takes you without clicking it.
Sponsored