First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I think what you meant to write was, “It makes for a terrible driving experience FOR ME…” because at least some of us do not share your experience.

I’m neither an OPD disciple nor a Rivian fanboy. I expected to HATE the OPD and before getting my Rivian I anticipated all kinds of problems with driving smoothly and parking.

My reality and experience is that I can drive our R1S at least as smoothly, and more easily, than any other car I’ve owned. I’m not an especially coordinated person so I don’t think I have any superior physical skill when it comes to driving. I can drive a manual transmission car so maybe slightly above today’s average driver? All I know is that my mom thinks the way the vehicle comes to a smooth, graceful stop consistently is amazing.

When we took delivery of our R1S I put it in high regen to try the worst case scenario (worst because I expected to hate it) and adapted after a couple stops. To me, the OPD is all about planning ahead, so the only time I need to touch the brake is when something unanticipated happens and I know that OPD regen will not do the trick.
My experience is similar - I love the OPD on high regen. I've never owned an EV before, and when I went on the First Mile Drive, the guide warned me that I would need to get used to OPD. It took about 2 minutes to adjust to the pedal travel and he commented how smooth I was driving.

I think manual transmission experience helps. I also have a lot of experience driving hydrostatic transmission equipment, starting way back at 15 on a Case backhoe and currently on my Case farm tractor. IMO, OPD is all but identical feel/technique.
Sponsored

Seano

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, Porsche Box, BMW Wagon, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I tend to argue for more customization, not less. Some comparisons to manual trans/clutch leaning is similar in so far as getting used to it, but I don't see any good reason not to let this be user-selectable.

Having drivers "get used to" regen vs making it possible to turn off or turn way down is a bit like building an entire infotainment system around streaming and only offering ATT. Works fine on the flats and in the city, but not so much in the mountains.

I hope for the future that there will be an optional coast mode or a very low regen setting - just like I'm hoping for some other infotainment solution. I envision it much like adding gears back on to the ev: appropriate regen for the conditions. I don't feel the riv is nearly as comfortable to drive as our other vehicles where we live having to stay on the accelerator on every single incline/downhill vs dropping into a gear on the manual trans or tapping the paddle shifters to set the right gear for the moment / conditions.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I tend to argue for more customization, not less. Some comparisons to manual trans/clutch leaning is similar in so far as getting used to it, but I don't see any good reason not to let this be user-selectable.

Having drivers "get used to" regen vs making it possible to turn off or turn way down is a bit like building an entire infotainment system around streaming and only offering ATT. Works fine on the flats and in the city, but not so much in the mountains.

I hope for the future that there will be an optional coast mode or a very low regen setting - just like I'm hoping for some other infotainment solution. I envision it much like adding gears back on to the ev: appropriate regen for the conditions. I don't feel the riv is nearly as comfortable to drive as our other vehicles where we live having to stay on the accelerator on every single incline/downhill vs dropping into a gear on the manual trans or tapping the paddle shifters to set the right gear for the moment / conditions.
I’m all for giving drivers choice in configuring their vehicles.

The only practical (not philosophical) objection I could see Rivian having to reducing or eliminating regen is if it would mean having to report lower numbers for efficiency and range. I would hope that testing is done in the default mode so they could allow a driver to reduce or eliminate regen with a warning that it will reduce efficiency and range. If it does require reporting lower numbers then I don’t see them conceding range so that people can coast or come closer to coasting.

If the hardware is there for blended braking (Thanks, @Zoidz !) then it could be that Rivian will introduce a mode that permits coasting with no accelerator pedal, and regen blended with friction braking when the brake pedal is pressed.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I really enjoy OPD on curvy mountain highways where I can let off on the accelerator heading into a corner and then accelerate through the turn. Much more fluid (IMO, of course) than having to brake into the corner and then switching to the accelerator to power through the turn.

Don't have problem with it around town, either.

Seano

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, Porsche Box, BMW Wagon, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I bet that's got a lot to do with it SoCalRob - was thinking tonight (while coasting around in my gas guzzler, not the Rivian): what is the net/net of Regen nrg - power put back into the system due to no coasting. I noticed so many times tonight in traffic just coasting along at 25mph on flat city streets and it occurred to me there must be some (?) loss of generated power having to stay a little on the accel all the time?

I guess the other point is many like it the way it is, too - so there's that. I live at the top of a 3mi 9% hill... every other car we have I just coast down in 2nd and rarely touch the brakes. Seems strange to be "accelerating" down the hill to drive 20-25mph.

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Surprisingly, OPD is one of the things I absolutely love most about my R1T! I have never owned an EV, but I instantly felt right at home with OPD and feel very comfortable with it. For me, it just makes driving so much more smooth, relaxing, and rewarding. Driving in traffic is so easy. Even aggressive driving on winding mountain roads is a blast. I think I like the high regen best, as it seems more predictable. High Regen will stop me reliably in almost all situations. With subtle accelerator pressure changes, it’s magic. Whereas, the Standard setting may not do the trick all the time and I don’t have quite the same level of confidence in it. Anyway, count me as a big OPD fan👍

_R1S_

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Too cheap, or is it strictly a design/operational philosophy to maximize regen as part of their "ethos"? The Bosch system can do blended braking and Rivian has documented they do it at low speed. I'm not sure that there is any added hardware cost, just software, to do blended braking with the Bosch system. There was an article I read a while back that said Rivian uses the exact same hardware as Tesla. I'll see if I can find it.
That's interesting to hear. I assumed they would need a different brake pedal assembly similar to a drive by wire accelerator. Audi for example uses braking by wire to manage regen and mechanical braking on their brake pedal. Let me know what you find!

Surprisingly, OPD is one of the things I absolutely love most about my R1T! I have never owned an EV, but I instantly felt right at home with OPD and feel very comfortable with it. Whereas, the Standard setting may not do the trick all the time and I don’t have quite the same level of confidence in it. Anyway, count me as a big OPD fan👍
I'm on my fourth EV so I am a nerd about it. My friends who have started with a Tesla or Rivian don't have the same complaints. If the change is a simple software, they should give us the choice for the guys like you who love it, and the guys like me who can't stand it. Seems a simple fix for a $100k truck.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

What happens when you step on the brake to disengage cruise control? Is it really abrupt?? After all it goes to zero throttle and some braking.
Why are you using the brakes to disengage cruise control? Tap UP on the stalk and it will turn off cruise control - the opposite of how you enable it.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Because that's the natural reaction for most drivers when something occurs in front of them and the driver wants the car to stop accelerating. That's the scenario I was asking about although the lever should exhibit the same reaction if the brake pedal is lightly depressed.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Too cheap, or is it strictly a design/operational philosophy to maximize regen as part of their "ethos"? The Bosch system can do blended braking and Rivian has documented they do it at low speed. I'm not sure that there is any added hardware cost, just software, to do blended braking with the Bosch system. There was an article I read a while back that said Rivian uses the exact same hardware as Tesla. I'll see if I can find it.
Tesla wasn't even doing OPD blending until sometime last year. Rivian might decide to add it down the line in the same manner. I think they should do it as long as they are indicating it's happening so could be avoided if desired.
Sponsored