Sponsored

No Service Center in state, no vehicle

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley
Got my Rivian email today on updated delivery. Apparently not going to happen. Well, that is unless I petition my state to allow Rivian to have a service center. Rivian says they don't deliver out of state. Strange since in 2021 Rivian stated to TechCrunch that they were now authorized by National Highway Transportation Safety Board and EPA to deliver in all 50 states. The existing vehicles in New Mexico, with NM plates, came from the service center in Denver. Now they won't deliver or let me pick up in Colorado? Say that they can't register the vehicle unless there is a service center in my state. Really? If they want us to petition for service centers then just tell us. Don't give me some BS about no deliveries possible unless your state has a service center. Tesla has a similar business/sales model and there is a service center in New Mexico. I have had my order in for over 2 years. Rivian just realized I live in New Mexico? Now, after all this time and many delivery updates from Rivian, they realized I live in a state with no service center? Ultimately does this mean they want me to cancel my order because Rivian won't deliver? Rivian not delivering is becoming a theme.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Bummer but this is well known, having gotten my truck before Rivian had a SC in Oregon I can tell you that Rivian is doing the right thing here, just sucks for folks like you.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Tesla sneaked in many states before these states created laws that actively prohibited manufacturers’ setting up direct service centers or sales centers in states.

The fact that Tesla somehow exists is because of bad laws in place, not because of Tesla’s “magical” abilities.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Tesla sneaked in many states before these states created laws that actively prohibited manufacturers’ setting up direct service centers or sales centers in states.

The fact that Tesla somehow exists is because of bad laws in place, not because of Tesla’s “magical” abilities.
And Tesla's magical lawyers

OP
OP

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley

Tesla actually got into New Mexico because the service center is on a reservation.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley
Bummer but this is well known, having gotten my truck before Rivian had a SC in Oregon I can tell you that Rivian is doing the right thing here, just sucks for folks like you.
Well my address has been New Mexico since the beginning. So for 2 years they have just led me on about delivery? Why accept orders if you don't plan on making delivery? How did the existing Rivians get licensed in New Mexico?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Got my Rivian email today on updated delivery. Apparently not going to happen. Well, that is unless I petition my state to allow Rivian to have a service center. Rivian says they don't deliver out of state. Strange since in 2021 Rivian stated to TechCrunch that they were now authorized by National Highway Transportation Safety Board and EPA to deliver in all 50 states. The existing vehicles in New Mexico, with NM plates, came from the service center in Denver. Now they won't deliver or let me pick up in Colorado? Say that they can't register the vehicle unless there is a service center in my state. Really? If they want us to petition for service centers then just tell us. Don't give me some BS about no deliveries possible unless your state has a service center. Tesla has a similar business/sales model and there is a service center in New Mexico. I have had my order in for over 2 years. Rivian just realized I live in New Mexico? Now, after all this time and many delivery updates from Rivian, they realized I live in a state with no service center? Ultimately does this mean they want me to cancel my order because Rivian won't deliver? Rivian not delivering is becoming a theme.
Do you have a guide yet? If so I would press them (nicely) for access to the shop and you can pick it up in Denver. If you don’t have a guide I would do the same with customer service. That is really your only shot until the situation in NM changes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley
Do you have a guide yet? If so I would press them (nicely) for access to the shop and you can pick it up in Denver. If you don’t have a guide I would do the same with customer service. That is really your only shot until the situation in NM changes.
No guide. Haven't ranked that high up on the food chain yet. I mean I have only been waiting for 2 years and 3 months.
I think I take more offense in Rivian's email statement that I should be the one to contact representatives in NM. It's not like car dealerships being opposed to EV sales is unknown. Tesla had to go through it already right? Other EV manufacturers as well. There's a group of Wyoming state lawmakers that want to end electric vehicle sales there by 2035, saying the move will help safeguard the oil and gas companies.
So what has Rivian been doing? They have known car dealers have states in their pockets. Would think this should be an ongoing job of Rivian to find the workarounds. They had to know when they started years ago in order to sell and deliver vehicles. Now they are telling me and it seems others (for instance those in NC) that WE have to get service centers. If WE want the vehicle WE have to make this happen. I am down to interior/exterior color, 21" wheels and Max pck as the only things left from my original configuration. They took everything else off my R1T and want me to do the work for them on this issue of sales/delivery? Tesla got around it in NM by putting their service center on Reservation land. Looking at the states without service centers I'd say that's the way to go Rivian.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You don't want one until there is service nearby...towing to Denver from New Mex can't be cheap if something happens.

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure: LA Silver/Dark Mountain
Clubs

Blame New Mexico, not Rivian. Sheesh.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/2021/chapter-57/article-16/section-57-16-5/

"V. be licensed as a dealer or perform warranty or other service or own an interest, directly or indirectly, in a person licensed as a dealer or performing warranty or other service; provided that a manufacturer or distributor may own a person licensed as a dealer for a reasonable time in order to dispose of an interest acquired as a secured party or as part of a dealer development program;"

Last edited:

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Wow--we live just outside of Santa Fe , here in ElDorado. I have had several chats with service people and no-one has said they couldn't deliver out of state. I think I will contact them again. This is really skankie--since they haven't said they would have torefund my deposit.
Sponsored