Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What's with the busses?

Also, I just looked at screenshots of the lots. Lots of RB, El Cap, silver, and white R1's with a sprinkling of red or couple yellows, but not a lot of greens, blacks, LGs. Just cranking out the popular ones?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What's with the busses?

Also, I just looked at screenshots of the lots. Lots of RB, El Cap, silver, and white R1's with a sprinkling of red or couple yellows, but not a lot of greens, blacks, LGs. Just cranking out the popular ones?
Probably employee shuttles.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
What's with the busses?

Employee shuttles. Don’t forget they’ve got lots of employees/contractors based out of other locations staying in local hotels outfitting the factory expansion. Also their lot is massive and frigid RN.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I had the pleasure of being there yesterday to pick up our R1T!

I was absolutely flabbergasted at how many R1Ts, R1Ss, and EDVs are around. Both lines (tour guide said they are completely independent) were pumping out vehicles. Seemed like every 5 or so minutes a new one was coming off each line.

I am no longer surprised they expect to hit the 25k production target.

Also, apparently Amazon wants the EDVs delivered by truck, not train, and they can only fit 2 on a truck, so that might be part of the bottleneck.
We were at the factory Wednesday. Rivian told us they don’t deliver them to Amazon. Amazon comes and gets them when they’re ready, so for now, Rivian parks them. But as soon as Rivian puts them on the lot they are “delivered”.

For the person who asked where the service center is located, it’s actually a delivery center. It’s behind the plant next to the test track. It’s behind a security gate and only Rivian employees can drive back there. In fact, after delivery they drive you, in your vehicle, back to the front of the factory.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Probably employee shuttles.
This is correct. The staff told us Rivian bought a fleet of electric buses to transport employees. The factory facility is massive and some employees park in distant lots.

The factory also has office space for engineers, guides etc, so it’s more than just manufacturing. When we toured we saw some of the open office area and there are a lot of engineers on site.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
At about the 1' mark on the left side is a series of rail cars and train tracks. You think they use that as the "entry point" to the rail shipments? Certainly seems like it - otherwise why would the rail cars be there?

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
At about the 1' mark on the left side is a series of rail cars and train tracks. You think they use that as the "entry point" to the rail shipments? Certainly seems like it - otherwise why would the rail cars be there?
Yes. The rail cars pull right behind the factory. They were actively loading vehicles when we were there Wednesday.

Also, we saw both the 700 and 500 series vans. They aren’t making the 900 yet.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Holy s... a lot of tangible production (and probably necessary given who one of the principle investors is)

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
I wonder which of GW R1T’s is mine? Factory pick-up on 12/27 :)
Sponsored