Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I'm VIN 17xx and have had zero issues with my truck (25,000 miles), but I now have a pretty strong ticking sound with strong acceleration from the right front.....no notice sent to me as of yet.
Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
This is interesting. My truck had the low speed tock issue and they replaced my front half-shafts, but that was back in November or December, IIRC. Either way, I've not received a notice for this now, so perhaps whatever they did back then was enough (the noise did go away and I haven't experienced it yet again)

Deleted member 7086

Received my R1T in May of last year. Around 3,000 miles started developing “gear lash”, slack where the half shafts and the splines meet in the front. Service Center did the usual repair - clean and repack lube, new bolts and re torque. Drove two hours home. Worse than before. A couple of months later second attempt to fix but this time both front and rear. Seems quieter but only time will tell as the temperature is still rather cold. Once Summer temperatures arrive the lube will probably thin and metal expand changing the tolerances. I have not received an email yet. I will need to check the repair invoices and see if the second repair was the new and improved one which added some spacers.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
My truck makes what I describe as a high-frequency bubbling or percolating sound that seems tied to my speed. It also has has some occasional knocking sound. Is this maybe the same issue?

I brought this up to my service center when other items were being fixed and was told it was within spec. I suspect my truck may have early symptoms of an issue. :/

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if this is the tok noise I get on any kind of moderate acceleration or declaration.

So far I've had 2.5 service appointments for it (the .5 is mobile), and I have another one scheduled.

I'm so tired of the tok.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Service mentioned this campaign would impact my vehicle (sub 2k vin) and will schedule me soon, said it would be 4 hours but adding in a couple others will end up as two days with a rental.
I haven't gotten an email yet. @jjswan33 did your email come from "hello @ e.rivian.com"? I had one recall email from that but apparently they have three recall/campaigns to work on.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Service mentioned this campaign would impact my vehicle (sub 2k vin) and will schedule me soon, said it would be 4 hours but adding in a couple others will end up as two days with a rental.
I haven't gotten an email yet. @jjswan33 did your email come from "hello @ e.rivian.com"? I had one recall email from that but apparently they have three recall/campaigns to work on.
Yep that was the sender.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

What is the problem?
If there is inadequate interference between the halfshaft splines and the wheel hubs, this may result in a loss of torque of the halfshaft bolt and subsequent noise and/or separation of the bolt and wheel center cap. Without this bolt there may be additional movement of the components and/or noise but will not result in any changes in the performance of the vehicle.
I randomly noticed I was missing a center cap on one wheel last month (Replacing it was an overly complicated process but that’s another story).Wonder if this is related? I’m a sub-2500 VIN.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
I haven't heard any noises from mine but when I did my tire rotation last week this bolt they are talking about was loose. I'm a low 2,000 Vin and mine already had washers I just tightened it and checked all the others. Only egregiously loose one was left front.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I haven't heard any noises from mine but when I did my tire rotation last week this bolt they are talking about was loose. I'm a low 2,000 Vin and mine already had washers I just tightened it and checked all the others. Only egregiously loose one was left front.
So you don't have a clink/clunk noise getting on/off throttle? They did the "repair" on mine and I still have it.

Sponsored

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
So you don't have a clink/clunk noise getting on/off throttle? They did the "repair" on mine and I still have it.
No sir, i had a weird noise that they took care at the SC some time back. Only abnormal noise I have at the moment is a loud ticking noise from the right rear on certain bumps. I haven't investigated yet. Need to have the wife drive me around while I sit in the back. Even before I noticed that LF bolt was loose I never heard anything

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Truck was at the ATL SC for some door alignments last week and they added the following to the visit when they had it in the shop. Assuming this is the same, although they refer to suspension noise but then perform half shaft labor....and consume (1) bolt :-?

Rivian R1T R1S New Rivian customer satisfaction campaign -- halfshaft issue (on 2022 R1S and R1T) 1681484306992

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
I love my truck, but the noises that come from any bump on the road are so loud. Its by far the noisiest vehicle I’ve ever had as far as suspension… it sounds like a heat shield (were it an ICE vehicle) super loose among the other bumps and clunks…very metallic sounding. Ive had it in for service a couple times and they’ve said its all normal and OK, even had the engineers look at it and sign off, as well as a full re-torque of everything under the truck… sounds no different. I would LOVE to try another R1T out to see if it sounds the same on my roads since Rivian says it’s all good and normal. Almost every passenger asks me what the noises are from if I dont have the stereo on.

I LOVE this truck and Im trying to get over it, but if I heard any of these noises on my old GX470 or my previous trucks I would probably not be driving it till it was resolved or else risk a wheel falling off!

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
I love my truck, but the noises that come from any bump on the road are so loud. Its by far the noisiest vehicle I’ve ever had as far as suspension… it sounds like a heat shield (were it an ICE vehicle) super loose among the other bumps and clunks…very metallic sounding. Ive had it in for service a couple times and they’ve said its all normal and OK, even had the engineers look at it and sign off, as well as a full re-torque of everything under the truck… sounds no different. I would LOVE to try another R1T out to see if it sounds the same on my roads since Rivian says it’s all good and normal. Almost every passenger asks me what the noises are from if I dont have the stereo on.

I LOVE this truck and Im trying to get over it, but if I heard any of these noises on my old GX470 or my previous trucks I would probably not be driving it till it was resolved or else risk a wheel falling off!
Make an appointment with videos of your noises. When you drop off don't leave without pointing noises out to a tech. If they says that sounds normal tell them ok, let's drive one of your loaners and see.
Compare Apples to apples as well. I have only ever driven one with 22s, but I'd assume one with 20s would be smoother over bumps than mine.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
I feel some general looseness from the front end of mine on 22s that I assume is normal. I think that lts due to how much the suspension can actriculate from the factory so the bushings have to have a huge range. The only abnormal noise I've heard on mine was fixed and easy to duplicate. They said it was one of the kinetic roll lines was out of its holder and tapping the body/frame. When I made the appointment they tried to say well its a truck. I said I definitely get that but trust me this isn't normal.
Sponsored