Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I love my truck, but the noises that come from any bump on the road are so loud. Its by far the noisiest vehicle I’ve ever had as far as suspension… it sounds like a heat shield (were it an ICE vehicle) super loose among the other bumps and clunks…very metallic sounding. Ive had it in for service a couple times and they’ve said its all normal and OK, even had the engineers look at it and sign off, as well as a full re-torque of everything under the truck… sounds no different. I would LOVE to try another R1T out to see if it sounds the same on my roads since Rivian says it’s all good and normal. Almost every passenger asks me what the noises are from if I dont have the stereo on.

I LOVE this truck and Im trying to get over it, but if I heard any of these noises on my old GX470 or my previous trucks I would probably not be driving it till it was resolved or else risk a wheel falling off!
What’s your vin range?
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Make an appointment with videos of your noises. When you drop off don't leave without pointing noises out to a tech. If they says that sounds normal tell them ok, let's drive one of your loaners and see.
Compare Apples to apples as well. I have only ever driven one with 22s, but I'd assume one with 20s would be smoother over bumps than mine.
I drove it with them and they heard and noted the sounds. While I agree with the approach it was not of value. Also, loaners from Rivian have never been a Rivian… they’re rentals as they never have any loaners to drive and say its normal to hear sounds. Also, I have 21’s

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I have a mild metal rattling sound that I hear over certain bumps at 30-40 mph speeds. I'm taking it in for service to see if they can determine what it is. Vin 20xxx.

Otherwise, the car is solid and doesn't make noise.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
I have a mild metal rattling sound that I hear over certain bumps at 30-40 mph speeds. I'm taking it in for service to see if they can determine what it is. Vin 20xxx.

Stutter bumps in particular are the worst, but otherwise this thing is amazing

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development

I hope you get it sorted… and if so, please report back!

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I did have the low speed tick/tock but they fixed that a couple weeks back when they completely rebuilt my rear end. I haven't noticed anything else, definitely not eager to take it in for service again so soon...
I think I have what you described as a low speed tick tock also. I described it to the Rivian advisor as sounding like someone spinning the wheel on the wheel of fortune or the price is right and it would vary with speed but seemed to be related to the accelerator pedal position and not so much how fast I was going. Does that sound familiar and what did they have to do? How long did it take to fix?

carcrazydoc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
I had the low speed roulette/game wheel sound on my R1S and it seemed to come from the passenger side rear wheel area. SC replaced one of the rear drive assemblies and it is gone. Unfortunately now replaced with a rattle over bumps which was not present before the repair. Mobile service appointment next week to hopefully find and fix it. Otherwise, I have loved it:)

Deleted member 7086

My R1T was completely silent until around 3,000 miles. Then the various noises began. While the R1T was in the shop I was provided loaners but they always had more miles than mine and for the most part suffered from the same noises. Some worse. Not sure you can use a loaner to compare for noise purposes. My front end noises have been of two types, the widely reported gear lash noise involving the half shaft spline connections and rattling shocks. Rivian has come out with a new and hopefully improved repair this week for the half shaft problem. I am in the process of getting an appointment for this repair. It will be a third attempt to solve this problem. Some have received emails notifying them of the new repair. I did not. The rattling shocks is still a work in progress. Turns out my vehicle was manufactured without the damper reinforcement plates. Only time will tell if installing the plates solves the noise problem.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have what I believe to be the "lock speed tock" and booked an appointment today for service on the 27th (10 days out, Denver location) for them to look at my suspension issues as well as my steering wheel shaking anytime I drive over 80 mph.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

@OutofSpecKyle you mentioned missing center caps in a recent video. It's possible you're covered by this campaign and your axle nuts were loose. Hard to judge, but almost looked like the driver-rear might have been missing.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I never received notice of this campaign, but during an unrelated service appointment the Bellevue Service Center performed this work for my truck. I had notified them that I would soon be moving extremely far from any existing service center, and that this was their last chance for some time to address any campaigns, check device firmware, etc.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
I had the low speed roulette/game wheel sound on my R1S and it seemed to come from the passenger side rear wheel area. SC replaced one of the rear drive assemblies and it is gone. Unfortunately now replaced with a rattle over bumps which was not present before the repair. Mobile service appointment next week to hopefully find and fix it. Otherwise, I have loved it:)
Please let us know if they fixed it. Mine has developed a horrible rattle over the past few months and each time I get it to the SC they say its normal…

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

My truck is in for unrelated service and the tech said they would be performing this same half shaft work. I've had the low speed front axle irritating sound since I got the truck. During previous service visits they brushed it off. I have 20k on the truck now and am a 65xx VIN.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I have not received that notification but just scheduled my truck in for service again yesterday. One of the service items to be addressed was the continued tocking and other noises from the rear of my truck. I noticed on the work order that they added what is described in the notification. Really hope to see some improvement here.

Concern:
- Perform FSAM-1091
Cause:
-
Correction/Remedy:
- Install washers on 4 halfshafts
Labor: Time (Hours): Labor Time Cost:
0 $0.00
Pay Type:
Field Service Action
Sublet:
No
Discounts:
$0.00
Tax:
$0.00
Total
Amount:
$0.00
this is concerning that folks who didn't get the "customer satisfaction campaign" email about the halfshafts are having work done that's similar to the work to those folks who did get the email. that means they may not really know which vehicles have this potential issue.
Sponsored