First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Hope your seller did this:
Rivian R1T R1S New policy: can no longer transfer your own vehicle in Rivian system to another individual without proof of new ownership (registration, title, name) 1673618786679

And it still seems like you need to register it yourself within 10 days…
Rivian R1T R1S New policy: can no longer transfer your own vehicle in Rivian system to another individual without proof of new ownership (registration, title, name) 1673618870854

Not saying you’re wrong, and none of this matters unless something untoward happens.
Rivian R1T R1S New policy: can no longer transfer your own vehicle in Rivian system to another individual without proof of new ownership (registration, title, name) 1673619136017
Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Hope your seller did this:
1673618786679.png

And it still seems like you need to register it yourself within 10 days…
1673618870854.png

Not saying you’re wrong, and none of this matters unless something untoward happens.
1673619136017.png
I'm not in California. We did our due diligence beforehand.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Rivian no longer allows you to transfer your own vehicle in their system to another individual. According to my guide, even if you are the current owner and explicitly ask them to transfer the ownership to a different Rivian account, this is inadequate. You must provide either a registration or title with the VIN and the new owner's name.

Apparently this was a recent change and an absurd one at that. It's a reasonable standard if the original owner is unknown or unwilling to manage the transfer, but this is the standard even if the "current" owner in Rivian's systems is requesting the transfer.
Hey @astonius

While I understand this is frustrating and not the most efficient way to transfer a vehicle ownership, and I am all for criticizing Rivians every move lately, what Rivian is doing here is the right way to transfer a vehicle.

They are ensuring the person 'who claims' they are the owner (through an app, from the website or just calling to say they are the owner) is the rightful owner by asking for the original registration/title with the VIN.

At a time where hijacking a phone, website hacks or even inside jobs are all too common, Rivian is ensuring that during a vehicle transfer the 'rightful' owner is indeed transferring the vehicle.

Yes you can secure the app and web with some kind of 2FA, property ownership rights still follow the 'Paper ownership is key' motto.

Where I live, by law we are required to carry the original MTO registration in our car. But I refuse to do this as any one who manages to steal my car can take ownership of my vehicle. so I only carry a copy of my registration in the car and keep my original registration in my safe.

The so called easy way Tesla does it, is also what leads to instances similar to the below,
Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission | Tesla Motors Club

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
They are ensuring the person 'who claims' they are the owner (through an app, from the website or just calling to say they are the owner) is the rightful owner by asking for the original registration/title with the VIN.
I think you're misunderstanding. They are asking for the new owner to provide a title or registration showing the new owner's name. Registration for the new owner is not an option, because that requires a title, which Rivian has yet to provide even to the original owner.

Again, the original owner has already established ownership in Rivian's systems. He has called/emailed and specifically requested and authorized the transfer to the new owner. This is not allowed.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I think you're misunderstanding. They are asking for the new owner to provide a title or registration showing the new owner's name. Registration for the new owner is not an option, because that requires a title, which Rivian has yet to provide even to the original owner.

Again, the original owner has already established ownership in Rivian's systems. He has called/emailed and specifically requested and authorized the transfer to the new owner. This is not allowed.
Does a Bill of Sale not work?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

As I’m reviewing it to document the untouched issues I see one of my reported issues is crossed through and under “Cause” was one word: “IDIOT”.
Any reason you didn't tell us what the issue you reported was? Gonna agree with the service tech for now.

It's standard operating procedure to not be able to transfer "ownership" of a vehicle without proof of the new owner in some fashion. I'd be pretty upset if someone called Rivian up after finding publicly available information or leaked private information of my own and transferred it into their own account to get physical access to the vehicle. After getting physical access and the account they could set up the phone-as-key and drive away with it.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Any reason you didn't tell us what the issue you reported was? Gonna agree with the service tech for now.

It's standard operating procedure to not be able to transfer "ownership" of a vehicle without proof of the new owner in some fashion. I'd be pretty upset if someone called Rivian up after finding publicly available information or leaked private information of my own and transferred it into their own account to get physical access to the vehicle. After getting physical access and the account they could set up the phone-as-key and drive away with it.
Not that you deserve it with that kind of comment, but I reported the issue with the aero covers scratching the wheels. Others have successfully had this addressed.

No one is asking for Rivian to take my word for it. If you had some reading comprehension you'd see where I have frequently stated the original owner initiated the request for ownership transfer. Again, the guy who no longer owns the truck has PAAK access to my truck right now. That is a security issue for me as the new owner.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No one is asking for Rivian to take my word for it. If you had some reading comprehension you'd see where I have frequently stated the original owner initiated the request for ownership transfer. Again, the guy who no longer owns the truck has PAAK access to my truck right now. That is a security issue for me as the new owner.
Buying a vehicle from someone else without having the title or getting the titled transfer was like, really really dumb. I bet you regret doing that.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Buying a vehicle from someone else without having the title or getting the titled transfer was like, really really dumb. I bet you regret doing that.
Actually no, I don't, because I have a bill of sale which is legally binding. I've bought plenty of vehicles this way. Why are you the way that you are?

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Update: the new policy went into effect on 1/6/23. The previous owner requested the info for transfer on 12/30. He requested execution of the transfer on 1/5. His guide requested and I submitted the bill of sale on 1/6.

It appears there was zero transition period or communication ahead of time to the guides that this change was coming and no official grace period for transactions in-flight. Par for the course for Rivian and their god-awful communication.

Silver-lining, I went a bit nuclear and was able to get an exception since there was clear record of the transfer request being submitted by the original owner on 1/5. I am now the owner in Rivian’s systems, and the original owner does not have access to the truck. I don’t enjoy doing that, but clearly it worked. No one should have to do that for them to do the right thing.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I think you clearly demonstrated what the issue was in this case. Glad for you that you were able to go nuclear and get what you wanted.

Edit: /s

Last edited:

Kheires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X3M Comp, Travato 59K
i just emailed the previous owner's guide with pictures of the documents they requested, and the transfer went through the next day (had my email and the car screen showed the ability to set up my access then next morning when i went to drive to work). the guide said it could take up to 5 business days thought. thankfully for me it was pretty painless.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
As the vehicles age, former owners are around less and less for the transfers. Dealers won't even have access. I understand why. Most of the time it's "Hey I own this car how do I get access".
Sponsored