Sponsored
OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I'm sure they just need to establish the original owners proof of possession and then know the name / address of the new owner in order to set up a Rivian account in the new owner name.
Nope. The original owner has already established proof of ownership by buying the truck from Rivian. Title or registration has to be in the new owner's name.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It can’t be registered until the title is available. It’s currently still under the factory temp tags.

If you’ve signed a bill of sale, paid for a vehicle, and taken possession it is legally yours. There’s no reason Rivian should not honor that.
Ok, thanks for the extra information.

Personally I would wait for the title so I could complete the transaction at the DMV and get my name off the vehicle before I sold and relinquished position. If anything happens while driving around on the old registration it could end up being a legal nightmare for the original owner. I would not put myself in that position.

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
Nope. The original owner has already established proof of ownership by buying the truck from Rivian. Title or registration has to be in the new owner's name.
You are not making any sense. Sorry for your hassle or whomever it is dealing with this. I hope it gets resolved sOOn

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
You are not making any sense. Sorry for your hassle or whomever it is dealing with this. I hope it gets resolved sOOn
I agree Rivian isn’t making any sense. I don’t know what’s confusing about my post. Rivian will not transfer ownership to a new owner without a title or registration under the new owner’s name even if the previously-established owner requests and authorizes the transfer directly. This leaves the original owner full access to a vehicle they no longer own.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Ok, thanks for the extra information.

Personally I would wait for the title so I could complete the transaction at the DMV and get my name off the vehicle before I sold and relinquished position. If anything happens while driving around on the old registration it could end up being a legal nightmare for the original owner. I would not put myself in that position.
A bill of sale is all that’s required in my state to legally transfer ownership. Also, as has been widely reported Rivian is not processing registrations and titles quickly.

Sponsored

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree Rivian isn’t making any sense. I don’t know what’s confusing about my post. Rivian will not transfer ownership to a new owner without a title or registration under the new owner’s name even if the previously-established owner requests and authorizes the transfer directly. This leaves the original owner full access to a vehicle they no longer own.
If the original owner didnt transfer the title ( write on the back all the new owner info ) OR go to DMV with the factory temp tags and process the sale via the DMV which you can do with missing documents and both parties haven't signed the documents they are legally still liable on that car regardless of monies that changed hands legally they are still the owner.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
A bill of sale is all that’s required in my state to legally transfer ownership. Also, as has been widely reported Rivian is not processing registrations and titles quickly.
I understand that but we are in such a litigious society these days a lawyer will follow the money. Until the vehicle is out of your name at the DMV/registry even if you eventually can prove the date on the bill of sale, it would just be a nightmare. I just would not put myself in that situation, way to risky for me.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

That’s another problem: it wasn’t. This was a change so recent the guide didn’t even know about it when we originally asked about the process. Between asking about what’s needed and requesting the transfer the rules changed, and they are currently refusing to honor the old standard even on an exception basis.
… which makes sense. Once the Legal Department changes a business process the implementation isn’t typically phased in or subject to exceptions.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
If the original owner didnt transfer the title ( write on the back all the new owner info ) OR go to DMV with the factory temp tags and process the sale via the DMV which you can do with missing documents and both parties haven't signed the documents they are legally still liable on that car regardless of monies that changed hands legally they are still the owner.
I’m guessing the “SF” in your name stands for San Francisco. That may be how you have to sell a car in California, but in Tennessee a buyer can purchase and take possession of a vehicle without a middleman. A bill of sale signed by both parties is all that’s required.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
… which makes sense. Once the Legal Department changes a business process the implementation isn’t typically phased in or subject to exceptions.
Legal standards often have grace periods, particularly self-imposed standards.

To clarify, it’s the Rivian legal team imposing this, not an actual law.

Sponsored

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m guessing the “SF” in your name stands for San Francisco. That may be how you have to sell a car in California, but in Tennessee a buyer can purchase and take possession of a vehicle without a middleman. A bill of sale signed by both parties is all that’s required.
Ok it must be different so, in CA you need to document it on the "Certificate of Title" for processing and legal possession to occur. If the title is missing you just need to go to the DMV and do it there with the other party. So its only complicated if the title or factory temp tags is missing or lost..

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
is someone trying to avoid paying state registration or just not willing to wait for the title?

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
is someone trying to avoid paying state registration or just not willing to wait for the title?
Not willing to let the original owner continue to have unfettered access to a vehicle they no longer own while the paperwork side of the transaction is in-flight. Money and property has already changed hands. No reason for the original owner to still have access to add drivers, lock/unlock doors, roll down windows, see location, etc.

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

Rivian (Rivian Legal) is likely choosing the option that is easiest/least complicated for them from a national standpoint, I.E. that which works in all states and is one blanket policy for everyone to learn instead of a different policy for each state. I've worked at companies where legal has taken this approach for certain company policies, they find the state which the strictest rules and force everyone, regardless of where they live, to hop over that hurdle.

For now, this will not be the least complex or easiest policy for everyone, but it may be the best option for Rivian, until they can get more experience and maturity in their processes.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Rivian (Rivian Legal) is likely choosing the option that is easiest/least complicated for them from a national standpoint, I.E. that which works in all states and is one blanket policy for everyone to learn instead of a different policy for each state. I've worked at companies where legal has taken this approach for certain company policies, they find the state which the strictest rules and force everyone, regardless of where they live, to hop over that hurdle.

For now, this will not be the least complex or easiest policy for everyone, but it may be the best option for Rivian, until they can get more experience and maturity in their processes.
Tesla sells cars in all 50 states. If I had a Tesla right now I could log into the website, click a few links, and enter the email address of a new owner. A few minutes later the vehicle would be transferred from my account to theirs.

The “ownership” in this context is purely from the manufacturer’s systems. It has nothing to do with legal ownership, and there’s no reason a rightful owner should not have the sole discretion to change that ownership from one Rivian account to another, even if a self-service mechanism like Tesla’s is not provided.
Sponsored