Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Rivian no longer allows you to transfer your own vehicle in their system to another individual. According to my guide, even if you are the current owner and explicitly ask them to transfer the ownership to a different Rivian account, this is inadequate. You must provide either a registration or title with the VIN and the new owner's name.

Apparently this was a recent change and an absurd one at that. It's a reasonable standard if the original owner is unknown or unwilling to manage the transfer, but this is the standard even if the "current" owner in Rivian's systems is requesting the transfer.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
What a pain. Wonder if there is some reason they can't set it up for the current owner to de-register their ownership and then allow the new owner to register their ownership. This would prevent someone from re-assigning the vehicle out from under you while also placing the burden of proof of ownership on the actual owner at the time (ie, the person in possession of the docs).

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Welp…this thread this is about to be popular.
Just another notch in the piss-poor customer experience with Rivian. I've honestly never had this much trouble from a single company, and it happens to be on the second largest single purchase I've ever made.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Just another notch in the piss-poor customer experience with Rivian. I've honestly never had this much trouble from a single company, and it happens to be on the second largest single purchase I've ever made.
I’ll be honest the thread about if people would pay post March pricing and the amount of people who said no pretty much sealed the deal for me to go dual over quad.

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I’ll be honest the thread about if people would pay post March pricing and the amount of people who said no pretty much sealed the deal for me to go dual over quad.
If you find a viable alternative to Rivian before your number's called I say go for it.

I tell everyone who asks about my truck: "love the product, hate the company." It really is that bad. I've genuinely had better customer service on products worth $20.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Security.

This prevents an impersonation attack from letting someone else take "ownership" of your vehicle.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Security.

This prevents an impersonation attack from letting someone else take "ownership" of your vehicle.
That's their excuse, however Tesla allows users to easily transfer ownership through their web portal. Even if I accept the "security" reasoning there are plenty of ways Rivian could verify the identity of the owner initiating the request.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Rivian no longer allows you to transfer your own vehicle in their system to another individual. According to my guide, even if you are the current owner and explicitly ask them to transfer the ownership to a different Rivian account, this is inadequate. You must provide either a registration or title with the VIN and the new owner's name.

Apparently this was a recent change and an absurd one at that. It's a reasonable standard if the original owner is unknown or unwilling to manage the transfer, but this is the standard even if the "current" owner in Rivian's systems is requesting the transfer.
When I read this, I merely hear that Rivian wants proof of new ownership before they transfer the vehicle.

IMO they just want legal/official evidence of the transaction instead of an email saying 'hey transfer my truck to this guy please'.

I dont plan on selling so it is a non-issue for me.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

That's their excuse, however Tesla allows users to easily transfer ownership through their web portal. Even if I accept the "security" reasoning there are plenty of ways Rivian could verify the identity of the owner initiating the request.
And "a copy of physical filed paperwork" is a foolproof way of verifying the identity.

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
And "a copy of physical filed paperwork" is a foolproof way of verifying the identity.
But it's not the only way, and it's also not reasonable while registration and titling is in-flight. Now the previous owner still has access to a truck they no longer have possession of. How is that not a security risk for the new owner?

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
If you find a viable alternative to Rivian before your number's called I say go for it.

I tell everyone who asks about my truck: "love the product, hate the company." It really is that bad. I've genuinely had better customer service on products worth $20.
I’m not a rivian fanboy by any means, but what do you expect? The company just started selling its vehicles with the absolute worst timing in history. They are backlogged like crazy. And you expect good customer service? Other auto companies that are well established still have their issues as well.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Wonder if there is some reason they can't set it up for the current owner to de-register their ownership and then allow the new owner to register their ownership. This would prevent someone from re-assigning the vehicle out from under you while also placing the burden of proof of ownership on the actual owner at the time (ie, the person in possession of the docs).
But it's not the only way, and it's also not reasonable while registration and titling is in-flight. Now the previous owner still has access to a truck they no longer have possession of. How is that not a security risk for the new owner?
Bingo. Current owner should be able to de-register or at least signal that they are legally transferring the vehicle. Then the new owner can deal with Rivian to register their ownership and if registration and/or title is needed go from there without involving the prior owner.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I’m not a rivian fanboy by any means, but what do you expect? The company just started selling its vehicles with the absolute worst timing in history. They are backlogged like crazy. And you expect good customer service? Other auto companies that are well established still have their issues as well.
This was a change Rivian made themselves to make the transfer process more complicated and convoluted, so I have zero sympathy for them.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not saying you're wrong but this wouldn't be the first time a guide shared incorrect information. Might be a bit premature to sound the alarm on this one.
Sponsored