Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

This isn't rocket science, yet Rivian makes it overly complicated. GM has been doing this since 1996 with OnStar. One simple phone call to OnStar and you can cancel the service which releases the ownership, and then the next owner can call and setup an account. They validate the account using the same methods every other corporation in the world does over the phone when you need to prove your identity. No paperwork needed, no hoops to jump through. If I can transfer millions of dollars in assets with the click of a button to others online, it should certainly be easier to release an $80k vehicle to anybody I want.

Claiming that the method Rivian is currently implementing is good for the consumer, for security purposes, and there's no other options, is a poor excuse made by those that don't understand how to properly handle data privacy and security.
Sponsored

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

Tesla sells cars in all 50 states. If I had a Tesla right now I could log into the website, click a few links, and enter the email address of a new owner. A few minutes later the vehicle would be transferred from my account to theirs.

The “ownership” in this context is purely from the manufacturer’s systems. It has nothing to do with legal ownership, and there’s no reason a rightful owner should not have the sole discretion to change that ownership from one Rivian account to another, even if a self-service mechanism like Tesla’s is not provided.
A change that if I recall right Tesla only made to it's vehicle transfer process in the 2H of 2020, before that, similar to what Rivian is now requiring, the new owner of the Tesla would have to email Tesla support, from the email associated with their Tesla account, and include either the title or the registration of the vehicle for proof of ownership. Then, and only then, would Tesla manually review and process the transfer, with no set timeline on completion.

It's certainly a poor experience for any buyer of a used connected vehicle to jump through these hurdles to get full access to their vehicle and apps associated with it. Tesla waited more than a decade to make their process easy, and really only did when they started selling cars at high volume, I am really hoping Rivian moves at a much quicker pace on that front.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Side question, did you sell your R1T? I remember you received yours around the same time I got mine. Wasn’t sure if you sold it and are moving on since I’ve also seen your for sale posts for some accessories.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Side question, did you sell your R1T? I remember you received yours around the same time I got mine. Wasn’t sure if you sold it and are moving on since I’ve also seen your for sale posts for some accessories.
I was thinking about starting a whole thread for this, but I guess this is as good a spot as any… Settle in for story time…

I had a ton of nits with my R1T on delivery. I expected there to be issues but accepted that possibility as long as Rivian would make it right, especially when paying $92k before taxes and fees. I documented and reported everything — some 70+ individual items. After three months they finally scheduled service, shipping my truck 3 hours away to Memphis. They provided a rental and a loaner, but they ultimately had my truck for over two months. I had to fight them on some of the issues that others had no issues getting addressed. I finally get the truck back. About half the issues are addressed, half aren’t remotely touched, and there’s a plethora of new issues including dents and scratches in the door sills. On top of this, there’s a notated print-out of the work order sitting in the truck. As I’m reviewing it to document the untouched issues I see one of my reported issues is crossed through and under “Cause” was one word: “IDIOT”.

I documented everything and sent it to my guide, the service center manager, and CC’d RJ. A few days later I get a call from a regional manager who apologizes for the comment as well as the problems. She offers to repurchase my VIN with the option to reorder. I review the details of the offers and decide I’m open to a reorder. Only one problem: you can only reorder with the current available options. This means no powered tonneau, which is a killer feature for me. I push back asking if I could possibly get a Shop truck with the tonneau, but they won’t even allow you to look at the shop until you agree to reorder. I ask if I could swap it to an R1S since I have an R1S on order anyway. I could swap my R1S order to an R1T and give time for the tonneau to be revised. Nope, has to be an R1T, and they won’t let me wait for the tonneau to become available again. I decided I’d go with the pure buyback instead.

I spent the next few weeks looking for something I wanted to own and drive instead, but there’s really not much out there. What is available is still generally overpriced and not as engaging to drive as the R1T. I came very close to pulling the trigger on a RAM, but ultimately I couldn’t spend $60k on a 2022 truck that had the exact same powertrain as my 2014 RAM and was not as much fun to drive.

Then I had a random thought: what if I bought a used R1T with the powered tonneau? The market on these trucks is trending down. I figured I could get one that had exactly what I wanted and pay less than a reorder to boot. Not 10 minutes later I’m browsing this very forum and find a truck that is almost exactly what I wanted in the first place: Rivian Blue with Ocean Coast interior and a powered tonneau. The only rub was the wheels, but I figured that was an easy fix. On top of that it had a few hundred miles on it (compared to my 5k+) and was recently put into service, in effect providing 6 months more warranty than my current truck. I spoke with the owner on the phone, and we were able to reach a deal that was very beneficial to both of us. He essentially broke even on his out-of-pocket, and I got a better built, nearly-new truck with the specs I wanted at a lower price than a brand new order — no thanks to Rivian, I thought I had come out ahead. I picked up the truck and drove it home. It’s not perfect, but it is better put-together than my original VIN.

Oh, but Rivian finds a way to continue to induce headaches. On 12/30, the previous owner told his guide his intentions. She said it was no problem, just send her the new owner’s information, she’ll get it all squared away. The next week she calls me and explains the recent change in policy. She says since it was so recent she’ll try to get an exception and let me know. Today I follow up with my original guide since I hadn’t heard from his guide, and she informs me of the info that kicked off this thread.

Lack of CarPlay aside, I love the product, but I hate this company.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
Rivian no longer allows you to transfer your own vehicle in their system to another individual. According to my guide, even if you are the current owner and explicitly ask them to transfer the ownership to a different Rivian account, this is inadequate. You must provide either a registration or title with the VIN and the new owner's name.

Apparently this was a recent change and an absurd one at that. It's a reasonable standard if the original owner is unknown or unwilling to manage the transfer, but this is the standard even if the "current" owner in Rivian's systems is requesting the transfer.
I don’t know why people needed you to repeat yourself for 3 pages to finally understand this. Ridiculous. Agree, makes zero sense.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
If you find a viable alternative to Rivian before your number's called I say go for it.

I tell everyone who asks about my truck: "love the product, hate the company." It really is that bad. I've genuinely had better customer service on products worth $20.
I haven't had a single problem with the company that hasn't been resolved quickly and with no issues...ymmv, of course.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I haven't had a single problem with the company that hasn't been resolved quickly and with no issues...ymmv, of course.
I keep hearing this from so many, including the original owner of my replacement truck. I really wish I could say the same, but in my personal experience Rivian has made everything difficult and frustrating at every turn.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I keep hearing this from so many, including the original owner of my replacement truck. I really wish I could say the same, but in my personal experience Rivian has made everything difficult and frustrating at every turn.
Total bummer, I'm sure...I once had a Consumer Reports top pick which the dealership just could not fix...lemon law time, it was. Hope better for you from here on out.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I don’t see what’s so absurd about this. A bill of sale is not required for an auto purchase in many states, and not required in Tennessee according to AutoTrader (although I acknowledge you’re more knowledgeable about this requirement in your state):

Some states require a bill of sale for a private vehicle transaction, but Tennessee is not one of them.

Proof of ownership is all about the vehicle title, although registration works, too, especially in case there is a lien. I hardly think it’s horrible to require proof of either before transferring vehicle ownership on the manufacturers end.

Even Tesla, whose process you praised, requires Title or Registration to claim ownership. See screenshot below I just took from my Tesla account when trying to add a vehicle.

This is truly much ado about nothing. The transfer of ownership will take place, although not as quickly as you’d like. However, I will agree that an option to remove a vehicle from one’s profile is needed to address your very valid concern of a former owner having access to vehicle location, charging, locks, HVAC, seat and steering wheel heaters, etc.

Rivian R1T R1S New policy: can no longer transfer your own vehicle in Rivian system to another individual without proof of new ownership (registration, title, name) 0ACEE022-B36D-4A03-9749-9F7929EEC289
Rivian R1T R1S New policy: can no longer transfer your own vehicle in Rivian system to another individual without proof of new ownership (registration, title, name) 0ACEE022-B36D-4A03-9749-9F7929EEC289

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Just a side note…if you’re still driving on the “factory temp tags”, they point back to the original owner, not the new owner. So anything that happens while sporting that plate will be pegged to the original owner. Or if you get stopped, it might get awkward explaining the situation to LE. Finally, if the temp tags expire before the original owner receives the title, you’ll have to rely on the original owner to help, assuming they can even do anything.
That to me is just as troubling as having the trucks Rivian account in someone else’s hands .

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

As I’m reviewing it to document the untouched issues I see one of my reported issues is crossed through and under “Cause” was one word: “IDIOT”.
In their defense, the ID-10-T rotary in-line girder is a known technical service bulletin issue and the service centers are all being briefed on how to deal with these problems...

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I don’t see what’s so absurd about this. A bill of sale is not required for an auto purchase in many states, and not required in Tennessee according to AutoTrader (although I acknowledge you’re more knowledgeable about this requirement in your state):

Some states require a bill of sale for a private vehicle transaction, but Tennessee is not one of them.

Proof of ownership is all about the vehicle title, although registration works, too, especially in case there is a lien. I hardly think it’s horrible to require proof of either before transferring vehicle ownership on the manufacturers end.

Even Tesla, whose process you praised, requires Title or Registration to claim ownership. See screenshot below I just took from my Tesla account when trying to add a vehicle.

This is truly much ado about nothing. The transfer of ownership will take place, although not as quickly as you’d like. However, I will agree that an option to remove a vehicle from one’s profile is needed to address your very valid concern of a former owner having access to vehicle location, charging, locks, HVAC, seat and steering wheel heaters, etc.

0ACEE022-B36D-4A03-9749-9F7929EEC289.jpeg
0ACEE022-B36D-4A03-9749-9F7929EEC289.jpeg
On the bill of sale, it’s not required in TN but is adequate to transfer ownership in lieu of a processing title.

Everyone seems to keep overlooking the one key element I pointed out in my very first post and the admin graciously put in the thread title: the current owner in Rivian’s systems is not allowed to authorize the transfer of his own truck. That is the big issue. According to them it’s his truck, yet they are not giving him the authority to move it. That Tesla form you’re pointing out is for orphaned used VINs or situations where ownership is contested. I specifically said in my initial post this is a reasonable standard in that case. Tesla allows the original owner to initiate a transfer and specify the new owner account without documentation. Even if Rivian doesn’t have a web interface for this process current owner consent is all that should be required (and all that was required up until recently).

Last edited:
OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Just a side note…if you’re still driving on the “factory temp tags”, they point back to the original owner, not the new owner. So anything that happens while sporting that plate will be pegged to the original owner. Or if you get stopped, it might get awkward explaining the situation to LE. Finally, if the temp tags expire before the original owner receives the title, you’ll have to rely on the original owner to help, assuming they can even do anything.
That to me is just as troubling as having the trucks Rivian account in someone else’s hands .
That’s what the bill of sale is for. You keep it in the truck until registration is complete. If you get pulled over, in an accident, etc the bill of sale shows legal ownership.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I think “Ownership” and “who its registered to” are two different things.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I think “Ownership” and “who its registered to” are two different things.
The point is the bill of sale is adequate to release the seller from liability.
Sponsored