kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm starting to think hard about flying there and driving the car back. It would be a good way to see what it can do, there are a few offroad areas between Normal IL and FL :D
I'm starting to think hard about flying there and driving the car back. It would be a good way to see what it can do, there are a few offroad areas between Normal IL and FL :D

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/what-will-you-do-when-you-take-delivery.536/

My Plan!
Sponsored

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Get enough of a critical mass to do this with you and maybe Rivian will fund a "Long Way Down" video, complete with the requisite charging network along the way :D

I'm in Knoxville but I'd be game for flying up and driving home!

OP
OP
RforRivian

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Another observation is about the 21" all season low rolling resistance tire option. I've never heard of a 21" wheel or tire...
I wonder if that’s an R1S option only, or both? I’m still strongly all-terrain just from the added versatility it allows off-pavement versus trying to wring out every mile of range. But I may change my mind if I could hear in person how much highway noise is coming off the Pirelli ATs at cruising speed.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
At this point, there's only a pilot line being set up and that's in keeping with Rivian's philosophy of doing it right, step by step. No rushing into production, no using customers as beta testers.

Rivian's announced when full production will begin, and that's ten months away. Plenty of time to set up a full assembly line, do it right, and put thoroughly tested vehicles into production.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Well, if they had a fully kitted factory, I'd be asking why the heck I'm not getting my vehicle for another year. Why were you expecting to see more at this point?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It is possible that Tesla will ship a few CT before Rivian. Tesla doesn't do many of the steps that traditional automakers do (and Rivian is). Building a few prototypes and long term testing. Pre-production units off of the actual line that are extensively tested before actual production begins. So far customers have been pretty much OK with the issues associated with this methodology, and the first CyberTruck buyers almost certainly will as well.

The level of testing traditionally done finds issues like bumpers torn off by driving thru a puddle.

The Long Way Up testing and long time frame with production spec units on the road go a long way towards assuring that Rivian will face fewer QC/design issues than Tesla has.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I'll take that bet. All Tesla has at this point is a pile of dirt.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
So maybe the R1T will only have a 20" and 21" wheel option (no 22"s like the SUV).

I personally liked the look of the 22" wheel best, but my discovery has 21's and looks fine.

It's always interesting to see what little easter egg bonus's they drop into the video updates.

Rivian R1T R1S New Official Video: Normal, August 2020 | Progress Report | Rivian 1013191402

Rivian R1T R1S New Official Video: Normal, August 2020 | Progress Report | Rivian 04-rivian-r1s-suv-LA

Rivian R1T R1S New Official Video: Normal, August 2020 | Progress Report | Rivian 0412191914_HDR

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
So maybe the R1T will only have a 20" and 21" wheel option (no 22"s like the SUV).

I personally liked the look of the 22" wheel best, but my discovery has 21's and looks fine.
I do like the 22" wheel the best also... but there's just not enough sidewall on that All Season tire. It makes the R1S look like a Mall Crawler... I doubt they will offer an All Terrain Tire on the 22 due to wheel well clearances... It would have to be bigger to not look a little silly with an AT tire and almost no sidewall. I kind of wonder if that's where the difference in range is between the R1T @ 400 miles and the R1S @ 410. For a 10 mile loss I'll take the AT's on 19s or 20s.
But the more likely scenario for me assuming I can find a wheel that works is to accept the delivery with the 22s and buy aftermarket off-road wheels and tires. That way I can switch them out based on my intended activity.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I do like the 22" wheel the best also... but there's just not enough sidewall on that All Season tire. It makes the R1S look like a Mall Crawler... I doubt they will offer an All Terrain Tire on the 22 due to wheel well clearances... It would have to be bigger to not look a little silly with an AT tire and almost no sidewall. I kind of wonder if that's where the difference in range is between the R1T @ 400 miles and the R1S @ 410. For a 10 mile loss I'll take the AT's on 19s or 20s.
But the more likely scenario for me assuming I can find a wheel that works is to accept the delivery with the 22s and buy aftermarket off-road wheels and tires. That way I can switch them out based on my intended activity.
I think the all terrain are only for the 20s. Maybe it can fit 19s, but ill be really close...

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I think the all terrain are only for the 20s. Maybe it can fit 19s, but ill be really close...
My bad.... From the pictures @ja_kub_sz posted it's clear the All Season tires are on the 22s... I misread thinking the other 2 were 19"s and 20"s..... The top one is clearly a 20 I assumed the third picture was a 19".... but looking closer it just a different style 20..

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The tires on the 20" wheels are about an inch larger that the tires on the 22", 34" vs 33".

I won't get on my soapbox, but ATs will not help you offroad. Get them if it's their look that you want.

I will be getting 20" wheels with 34" tire (for additional sidewall), but actually hope for a factory M/S option instead of AT.
Sponsored