First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think the Ram paired with relange extender is going to be the real "for the masses" show stopper, it should combine the best of both worlds and allow the lamen to be gentley introduced to EV's without having to think about charging curves, etc.

Things the CT has that I'd like to see on the Rivian are
- Nema 14-50 plug
- USB - C power delivery (100 watts would be ideal)
- Stiffer body panels
- A dual motor diff lock
- 800V Architecture
And power output from outlets that is similar to the other trucks (e.g. 5kw+).

Aaaand along with 800v, a larger HVAC system (with a heat pump) to cool the battery better as well as warm the cabin more efficiently.

I think Kyle is hedging his bets, and is trying to avoid alienating a big part of his audience, ie the Cybertruck fanboy crowd.
In his previous and very recent comparison video, he clearly stated he preferred the R1T. This is why I think he’s hedging his bets.
Eh, I think he's genuinely torn. The CT will bring him clicks, he likes the look of it, likes the charging a bit better. You gotta realize, he also likes quirky, weird cars. The CT plays right into what he likes. Couple that with clearly being annoyed by the charging performance of the R1T while he's been towing and it's probably a tough decision for him.

Improve the R1T charging and I think he consistently chooses the R1T. Just slightly.
Sponsored

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
I have both R1T and R1S, and love them. I am also an early reservation holder for CT like many of you guys. CT has some incredible techs and features that Rivian lack; stiff exoskeleton body, 800V, 48V with Ethernet, steer by wire, rear wheel steering, charging vehicles and homes from its battery etc…These are game changers, and soon will be adopted by other competitors. CT is far more than just “ cool”. Elon pushes engineering boundaries, and disrupts the market. My only wish is for CT to have a bigger battery pack. Towing a boat to a lake 50 miles away and back will be a challenge. Love the Rams’s idea of on board generator.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I watched the interview and Kyle loves the CT for the uniqueness of it but as a "truck," he doesn't like it.

He was asked what his favorite EV truck is (he owns a R1T and loves it), but he loves the Hummer EV.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Couple that with clearly being annoyed by the charging performance of the R1T while he's been towing and it's probably a tough decision for him.
It does not appear that the current charging performance of the CT is any better, & you currently need to disconnect the trailer at most charge stations due to charge port location.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's the <50% response (e.g. 250kw+ <25%) and >80% response and the apparent lack of overheating that he seems attached to. Which I can't blame him. The comparison really depends on what SOC you're charging from and to.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Eh, I think he's genuinely torn. The CT will bring him clicks, he likes the look of it, likes the charging a bit better. You gotta realize, he also likes quirky, weird cars. The CT plays right into what he likes. Couple that with clearly being annoyed by the charging performance of the R1T while he's been towing and it's probably a tough decision for him.
"I like it, but I don't know if I like it enough to be seen driving one"

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

"I like it, but I don't know if I like it enough to be seen driving one"
So driving the CT is the vehicular equivalent of LARPing? It looks like it would actually be kind of fun, but most people don't want to be seen doing it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I have both R1T and R1S, and love them. I am also an early reservation holder for CT like many of you guys. CT has some incredible techs and features that Rivian lack; stiff exoskeleton body, 800V, 48V with Ethernet, steer by wire, rear wheel steering, charging vehicles and homes from its battery etc…These are game changers, and soon will be adopted by other competitors. CT is far more than just “ cool”. Elon pushes engineering boundaries, and disrupts the market. My only wish is for CT to have a bigger battery pack. Towing a boat to a lake 50 miles away and back will be a challenge. Love the Rams’s idea of on board generator.
Tesla was first to market with many of the things you mention, but they didn’t invent any of them, other than the pressed frame. And Elon did invent the redefinition of “exoskeleton”, lol.

Game changers? Other manufacturers are already in the process of designing vehicles with 800 volt, 48 volt. This has been in industry standards development since 2018. Steer by wire, Ethernet, rear wheel steering has already been done by others - for years. Tesla deserve credit for putting it all in one package, but if you think Elon is driving the industry by creating these innovations, you’re mistaken. The ones that are inventing and driving this are companies like NXP, Bosch, etc.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
Tesla was first to market with many of the things you mention, but they didn’t invent any of them, other than the pressed frame. And Elon did invent the redefinition of “exoskeleton”, lol.

Game changers? Other manufacturers are already in the process of designing vehicles with 800 volt, 48 volt. This has been in industry standards development since 2018. Steer by wire, Ethernet, rear wheel steering has already been done by others - for years. Tesla deserve credit for putting it all in one package, but if you think Elon is driving the industry by creating these innovations, you’re mistaken. The ones that are inventing and driving this are companies like NXP, Bosch, etc.
I agree Elon didn’t invent none of them, but he is not afraid to push the boundaries by packaging all these things in a vehicle. My brother is an executive engineer at Ford, and said Tesla stuffs will never happen at OEMs. Tesla’s spirit of pushing the boundaries of engineering and manufacturing will benefit us greatly. Now many OEMs are moving toward giga casting, drive by wire, rear steering, 800v, 48 v with Ethernet etc. This is a beautiful trend, and will spur more innovations while driving down the cost.
I am hoping next Rivian will have many of CT’s features while keeping cost down.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I'm disappointed Kyle didn't launch it... no not gun it, I mean launch it as a boat.. like in a lake!

I'd pay a dollar to see that 🚢

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I think the Ram paired with relange extender is going to be the real "for the masses" show stopper, it should combine the best of both worlds and allow the lamen to be gentley introduced to EV's without having to think about charging curves, etc.

Things the CT has that I'd like to see on the Rivian are
- Nema 14-50 plug
- USB - C power delivery (100 watts would be ideal)
- Stiffer body panels
- A dual motor diff lock
- 800V Architecture
I agree with what you stated regarding the Ram. The allure of driving electric but able to tow will be induce those on the fence.
Sponsored