First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
He showed me the ODO - 411 (?) miles? Range estimate...now that was interesting. He started in Conserve, was fully charged (presumably at Bellevue about 5 miles from me), and it showed something like 290 miles. We drove around locally a bit...jumped on the freeway (I floored it) for a few miles, got back on...floored it again...and...somewhere in there I'm seeing 260ish. Drove around for another 20 minutes (?) and we're down to 230ish. We got back to our steep - leafmulch strewn - street/driveway and he put it in...forget the name...performance?...got to our house, switched off (odd motion of pushing in stalk) and it showed 211 miles.

My first EV trip...we never got more than 10 miles from our house...and I already had range anxiety. :)
It uses a GOM, and seemingly updates frequently. So It's adjusting for you flooring it again. and against. The 290 was probably from them babying it initially, 260 is probably more realistic in conserve, and 230 is probably the 20 miles of driving + some aggressive driving.

Another way to think about it, is go grab your ICE and reset the trip odometer and drive it like a bat out of hell for 20 minutes. Check your MPG for that drive, it will also suck. :)
Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Another way to think about it, is go grab your ICE and reset the trip odometer and drive it like a bat out of hell for 20 minutes. Check your MPG for that drive, it will also suck. :)
And that was another interesting thing...there was no drama for acceleration. In comparison, when I accelerate on an onramp in my Boxster (a MUCH slower car) my wife immediately says something like "don't kill us"...and we're just getting up to the speed limit. Around 90 mph in the Rivian and not a peep. :)

Another random thought...her first comment after the car left was "nobody noticed the car". While I was driving all over Mercer Island (where at any given stop you're likely to see 2 or 3 Teslas and a Porsche etc) she was watching everyone to gauge their reactions. One man who was walking his dog turned and stared - and that was the only reaction she noticed. I'm more than fine with that...but for her...I can have the Rivian but she wants something more distinctive. We might be able to solve that with Yellow or Red <fingers crossed>.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I don't know what that means. What does that mean?
He has to initiate a process that takes...I forget...5 to 10 minutes...during which the car cannot be driven.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
He showed me the ODO - 411 (?) miles? Range estimate...now that was interesting. He started in Conserve, was fully charged (presumably at Bellevue about 5 miles from me), and it showed something like 290 miles. We drove around locally a bit...jumped on the freeway (I floored it) for a few miles, got back on...floored it again...and...somewhere in there I'm seeing 260ish. Drove around for another 20 minutes (?) and we're down to 230ish. We got back to our steep - leafmulch strewn - street/driveway and he put it in...forget the name...performance?...got to our house, switched off (odd motion of pushing in stalk) and it showed 211 miles.

My first EV trip...we never got more than 10 miles from our house...and I already had range anxiety. :)
Thanks so much for the summary! I stupidly thought you meant it was a 400 mile battery pack.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

And that was another interesting thing...there was no drama for acceleration. In comparison, when I accelerate on an onramp in my Boxster (a MUCH slower car) my wife immediately says something like "don't kill us"...and we're just getting up to the speed limit. Around 90 mph in the Rivian and not a peep. :)
This takes a while to get used to. My partner is used to driving either our Model 3 or our Model X with their quiet and effortless acceleration. Whenever we're in the GX and I'm trying simply accelerate to highway speeds it's always met with complaints of "are we in a rush?" and "don't kill us!" just because it's such a...loud affair in comparison. Usually my response is something along the lines of "we're only going 65...."

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
No need to worry. Range anxiety is a direct byproduct of uncertainty. It goes away after a week or so, regardless of your range capabilities, because it's not about what range you have, it's about the confidence in knowing what it is. A 500 mi possible range EV with inconsistency and poor range projection will give you more anxiety than a 200mi range EV with high consistency.
Another question to ponder is how many times (ever...since you obtained your license) have you personally been responsible for said vehicle running out of gas because you were too confident?!? If it's only 1-2 times or zero then you really have nothing to be concerned with... especially since you can always start the day with a given amount of miles, and learn how many days you can go on average without charging.

Though if you've run out of gas more than twice in your life, your new habit/routine will NEED to include making absolutely sure your R1 is plugged in when it's not in use.

✌❤⚡??

Last edited:
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Another question to ponder is how many times have you personally been responsible for your vehicle running out of gas because you were too confident?!? If it's only 1-2 times or zero then you really have nothing to be concerned with... especially since you can always start the day with a given amount of miles, and learn how many days you can go on average without charging.

Though if you've run out of gas more than twice in your life, your new habit/routine will NEED to include making absolutely sure your R1 is plugged in when it's not in use.

✌❤⚡??
Excellent point. It's as if the EV range discussion is being held to way different standard than ICE refueling discussion. Are any of us ICE drivers really trying to eek out an extra 5 miles on a tank of gas when there are gas stations every mile?! No of course not.

Same principle applies to EV's, but people need to get used to it. If you return home from a trip and your range says 50 miles or less, are you really going to drive it 45 more miles before recharging at home, overnight? Of course not.

The difference in the two scenarios is the ease of returning home vs the errand of stopping at a gas station.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The difference in the two scenarios is the ease of returning home vs the errand of stopping at a gas station.
This is the key, imo.

Most people are familiar with ICE refueling, so we're comfortable with it. And as much as I can't wait until I never again have to go get gas, we still know it's only a ~5-10 minute inconvenience. Gas stations are ubiquitous, and refueling is quick.

With EVs, for those of us who haven't lived it, yet, there's uncertainty -- and that can be uncomfortable. A "mistake" isn't just a 5-10 minute inconvenience. You have to find and get to a DCFC, hope it works, and if everything works well it still takes longer.

Over time, this will get better. Partially, from people getting more comfortable with what was previously unknown to them. And partially by EV charging infrastructure continuing to get built out.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Another random thought...her first comment after the car left was "nobody noticed the car". While I was driving all over Mercer Island (where at any given stop you're likely to see 2 or 3 Teslas and a Porsche etc) she was watching everyone to gauge their reactions. One man who was walking his dog turned and stared - and that was the only reaction she noticed. I'm more than fine with that...but for her...I can have the Rivian but she wants something more distinctive. We might be able to solve that with Yellow or Red <fingers crossed>.
That surprises me. MKBHD noted he received more attention in the R1T than he has in any other car. And I have talked to a few people that I work with who are most definitely not car people, but they recognize it. One of them happened to see the R1T when she was driving back from a jobsite from Renton for me and noticed it.

I wonder if your Merce Island folks were just not paying attention while out walking around.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I just can't suppress the evil thought that unresolved R1T tonneau cover issues holding up the production can be good for R1S if there are battery supply issues. Your love for your siblings is tested when there is only one cookie left on the table. I love R1T but I want that cookie dammit.
Chat with CS today said problem with tonneau covers was only in pre-production vehicles, and production vehicles are rolling off the line with powered tonneau covers, and if any issues arise, they will fix. Not holding up production.

He didn't specifically say if materials had been resourced and the cover reingineered. I asked, but he didn't answer that question specifically.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
This is the key, imo.

Most people are familiar with ICE refueling, so we're comfortable with it. And as much as I can't wait until I never again have to go get gas, we still know it's only a ~5-10 minute inconvenience. Gas stations are ubiquitous, and refueling is quick.

With EVs, for those of us who haven't lived it, yet, there's uncertainty -- and that can be uncomfortable. A "mistake" isn't just a 5-10 minute inconvenience. You have to find and get to a DCFC, hope it works, and if everything works well it still takes longer.

Over time, this will get better. Partially, from people getting more comfortable with what was previously unknown to them. And partially by EV charging infrastructure continuing to get built out.
I agree with this take, but it omits one very important angle:

With an ICE car, you have no choice but to visit the gas station every so often. So people get really good at doing that, because it's routine, and required.

WIth an EV, you technically never have to visit a charging station out in the wild.

Simply plugging in your car every night removes all uncertainty for a vast majority of EV drivers.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Chat with CS today said problem with tonneau covers was only in pre-production vehicles, and production vehicles are rolling off the line with powered tonneau covers, and if any issues arise, they will fix. Not holding up production.

He didn't specifically say if materials had been resourced and the cover reingineered. I asked, but he didn't answer that question specifically.
FWIW, the LE we test drove Sunday was presented to us as an actual production vehicle (VIN 7FCTGAAL8NN000047) but had the tonneau locked out.
Sponsored