Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
My very first internship in college was as an assistant to a wealth manager. I used to answer calls and make outbound calls. It was a mid size firm and no one paid much attention to what I did. My second week on the job I decided I would make up crap. It was all downhill from that point. I still regret the needless bs I sent out into the world for my own amusement. There's still some poor sod out there that thinks you can get a guaranteed 30% return.

It's all fun and games until your words end up on a message board and cause issues.
They still make up crap in the wealth management field even today so they themselves can get a guaranteed 30% return:CWL:
Sponsored

Last edited:

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
This is where vertical integration of battery production has clear advantages. You are not at the mercy of battery suppliers. You control your chemistry and cost, the most expensive part of a vehicle.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Offering 4 different battery packs in their R1 pickup/SUV is complicating the manufacturing waters. I can understand the move if they are software limited however.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Offering 4 different battery packs in their R1 pickup/SUV is complicating the manufacturing waters. I can understand the move if they are software limited however.
Well....I talked to a Rivian employee (in training) this morning. Sounds like the battery options are all the same, but software limited which you can buy up later. Gets new vehicle comfortably under the $80,000 tax credit limit. The pricing looks weird as you get further upstream, but that is because of battery warranty exposure being less (essentially zero) on the smaller packs. The free cash flow per vehicle (which eliminates the current capital/depreciation cost issue) is essentially zero. They can't raise prices so need to build a cheaper vehicle. Shut down for "peregrine" is the first two weeks of April and those changes are about building a cheaper, less complicated vehicle (fewer harnesses and electrical connections). Quality Control (warranty issues) is the number one issue restricting profitability not counting the excessive depreciation charge from all the CAPEX and they hope peregrine addresses those issues. She thought the March 7 reveal was only one vehicle, but wasn't sure.

Take it for its worth. Said new orders are "ok, but not great".

Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Sounds like the battery options are all the same, but software limited which you can buy up later.
Interesting. This would be very surprising. I suspect this is a misunderstanding. If it's true that would make the smaller packs have a higher value due to always being in the best range of the battery.

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 GMC Sierra 2500, 2012 Chevy Volt.
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

LFP is a long lasting chemistry that would be great for daily use, and NCA is good for long range travel.

If they can set-up LFP to be used between 80% and 50% state of charge, they got a winning combination. That'll make their NCAs (or NMC, NMCA) last longer.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If they are externally identical, it's hardly a complication. You need X number of batteries to produce X number of vehicles. It's not like having additional options that might only be ordered rarely.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs