Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I bet tax credit stuff. 50% of the pack needs to be made in North America. So what if half the cells are made in North America, and half made somewhere else?

I saw a video somewhere, and they said the LFP pack on the EDV is made in China. I think their plan was to buy fully built LFP packs from BYD or someone in China. The new IRA kinda screwed up those plans as that would completly disqualify their low end vehicles for the tax credit.
Rivian plans to buy LFP cells from a new Gotion factory that opens in IL this year
Sponsored

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I'd love to meet the person who has a direct line to RJ.. it's Rivian customer service I spoke to. Pretty sure 99.99% of all contact would be through them.
Rivian CS has been known to be all over the place with their information. They are not a reliable source that should be taken seriously.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Do we know the chemistry of the Large / Max pack at this point? Isn't it NMC, and I assume NMC 811? Unless I'm mistaken, mention of NCA chemistry is actually new. Apparently when Tesla was using NCA they were recommending 90% for the daily charge rate vs 80% for NMC, so again more daily range available for the pack size. That would put Standard+ and Large daily usable range pretty similar assuming NCA for Standard+ (121 kWh) and NMC for Large (131 kWh)...or 108.9 kWh vs 104.8 kWh, so the Standard+ might have more daily capacity.
I had the same reaction yesterday. From what I can find, the Samsung 50G cells are NCA, but that's pretty spotty.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
There's a company that does a split chemistry for a longer range pack, but trying to mix LFP and NMC or NCA feels like a hell of a hurdle given the voltage profile differences.
Is this the company? https://one.ai/ I listened to a podcast with the founder last year and it was pretty interesting. Seemed like it would make sense in things like long haul trucks that do a ton of highway cruising, but for cars more of a stop gap until we get better overall battery tech.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
I had the same reaction yesterday. From what I can find, the Samsung 50G cells are NCA, but that's pretty spotty.
Surprisingly, the datasheet from Samsung SDI doesn't mention the chemistry for the 50G or the 53G.

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, R1S QM, MY DM, Zero SZF, Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Will the battery packs be made in USA or offshore, I wonder?🧐

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I'd love to meet the person who has a direct line to RJ.. it's Rivian customer service I spoke to. Pretty sure 99.99% of all contact would be through them.
Would these be the same customer service folks who had no idea about anything when it came to my manual tonneau cover.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Surprisingly, the datasheet from Samsung SDI doesn't mention the chemistry for the 50G or the 53G.
yeah, it was harder to find than you'd think, and even then I'm not 100% confident about it.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
If I were in the market for a Rivian I would hold out for the new battery pack chemistry and the new electrical architecture revision.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Haha. I like how you say, “Was just talking to Rivian…” Were you speaking with RJ, or a customer service rep? There’s a massive difference in the credibility of the source.
My very first internship in college was as an assistant to a wealth manager. I used to answer calls and make outbound calls. It was a mid size firm and no one paid much attention to what I did. My second week on the job I decided I would make up crap. It was all downhill from that point. I still regret the needless bs I sent out into the world for my own amusement. There's still some poor sod out there that thinks you can get a guaranteed 30% return.

It's all fun and games until your words end up on a message board and cause issues.

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Dual chemistry that yields the results of something like the one Gemini would be great

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Do we know the chemistry of the Large / Max pack at this point? Isn't it NMC, and I assume NMC 811? Unless I'm mistaken, mention of NCA chemistry is actually new. Apparently when Tesla was using NCA they were recommending 90% for the daily charge rate vs 80% for NMC, so again more daily range available for the pack size. That would put Standard+ and Large daily usable range pretty similar assuming NCA for Standard+ (121 kWh) and NMC for Large (131 kWh)...or 108.9 kWh vs 104.8 kWh, so the Standard+ might have more daily capacity.
yeah, same. from what i recall Rivian has always stated their chemistry is NMC. it would be a surprise if its NCA and the recommended charge to 70% only wouldnt line up with NCA. unless theres something else different about Rivians NCA design.

wish Rivian wouldnt be so non-transparent about certain details of their design/tech.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 24 R1S (El Cap)
Occupation
Content Creation & Real Estate
Clubs

Speculation here ... But Standard and Standard + are most likely LFP. Rivian is trying to bring costs down.... I can't imagine some kind of split pack that would have different BMS and different thermal control requirements.

AND if Rivian took a page from Tesla the standard pack would be a Standard + pack that is nerfed by software. This would allow them to simply production and also give them an upgrade they could sell the customer after delivery

Complete speculation on my part.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
Mixed chemistry in the same pack? Color me intrigued. Maybe an attempt to avoid the poor characteristicts of each?
Or else bring forward the poor characteristics of both.
LFP poor capacity
NMC/NCA can't fully charge or discharge without damage
Sponsored