First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Depends on your use case, in my case with a Sienna the gas savings are around $1500 which about covers four tires. So the gas savings are significantly (if not completely) eaten up by this tire wear. Others on the 21”s have had much better wear which is obviously good.
The Sienna needs tires too, so are you factoring in tires on that purchase as well? Even if the Rivian wears tires at a 2 to 1 rate compared to the Sienna you're still ahead. So let's just say for the sake of argument that the tires are roughly the same cost for both and the Rivian eats them at 2 to 1 over the Sienna.

If you're saving the 1500 each time in fuel then you'd still be ahead by 750 bucks each tire change over the Sienna.
Sponsored

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I am expecting this when I get my R1S. I have a Tesla Model S and have been replacing the tires every 25 to 30K on a car weighing 4600 lbs.

All that weight with lot of torque and low center of gravity with good cornering I expect is the cause.

Second set I did have partially covered by warrenty, the warrenty was for 55k so got 45% of the original price as a credit for the new ones. I expect at some point the tire manufacturers will start excluding EVs or have a separate mileage for them.
not kidding, this is why I bought Goodyear stock 3 months ago.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
wait 3 to 4 sets of tires? is that 6 to 8 tires or 12 to 16 tires... trying to figure out what you mean by set usually when I talk tires for vehicles a set is all 4
I consider them a set of four, so 12-16 total tires.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

The Sienna needs tires too, so are you factoring in tires on that purchase as well? Even if the Rivian wears tires at a 2 to 1 rate compared to the Sienna you're still ahead. So let's just say for the sake of argument that the tires are roughly the same cost for both and the Rivian eats them at 2 to 1 over the Sienna.

If you're saving the 1500 each time in fuel then you'd still be ahead by 750 bucks each tire change over the Sienna.
I agree the Sienna needs tires but certainly not every 16k. So it does eat up some of the saving, plus these EV tires are more expensive than most ICE tires (not high performance vehicles to be fair).
So I agree you are still ahead but increased tire costs does count against the oil change savings etc.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
In a perfect world, looks like the 20s should be capable of 50k miles.

Rivian R1T R1S Need new tires replacement on R1T after 16K miles 1670425217482

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I agree the Sienna needs tires but certainly not every 16k. So it does eat up some of the saving, plus these EV tires are more expensive than most ICE tires (not high performance vehicles to be fair).
So I agree you are still ahead but increased tire costs does count against the oil change savings etc.
You’re right no decision is made in a vacuum and you’re also right that EV tires are more expensive. If you’re trying to compare directly between a standard minivan and an 835HP truck you’re going to be missing some stuff.

For example to burn your tires out at 16k you’re probably driving the Rivian like an 835hp truck, something you can’t even do in the Sienna. You’re either racing around, off roading or towing heavy stuff all things the Sienna can’t even do.

If you drove the Rivian like a Sienna you could probably squeak out 25k out of the tires. That makes The comparison even more in the EV’s favor. Personally I don’t see much point in comparing a Rivian to a minivan. Compared to vehicles in its class it’s substantially cheaper to run.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

You’re right no decision is made in a vacuum and you’re also right that EV tires are more expensive. If you’re trying to compare directly between a standard minivan and an 835HP truck you’re going to be missing some stuff.

For example to burn your tires out at 16k you’re probably driving the Rivian like an 835hp truck, something you can’t even do in the Sienna. You’re either racing around, off roading or towing heavy stuff all things the Sienna can’t even do.

If you drove the Rivian like a Sienna you could probably squeak out 25k out of the tires. That makes The comparison even more in the EV’s favor. Personally I don’t see much point in comparing a Rivian to a minivan. Compared to vehicles in its class it’s substantially cheaper to run.
The point was not directly comparing a high performance EV to a minivan (although the S is a replacement for our minivan). It was more around that some of the savings from maintenance and fuel are taken up with additional costs - as you say nothing is in a vacuum.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Wow. Good post, definitely something to consider. My old beater work truck riding on 31" BFG AT KO2's can go >50,000 miles before a change. The tires'll dry rot before the tread wears out. Having to buy double or triple the tires sounds annoying. 😞

Reactions: Rad

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order

Sponsored

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

I'm very curious to see how this works out for myself and I follow all the posts on this topic carefully.

In the past I've always enjoyed hard driving now and then (when a good road presents itself); at other times I am probably driving miss Daisy, lifting and coasting. I keep regen on High and I am mindful of the load and stress the weight puts on the tires. So unless I'm in a hurry, I'll try to recreate lift and coast with my pedal usage. I try not to race to the next light since I'll have to wait anyway, not mention the extra wear caused by acceleration/deceleration.

All this could be for naught. If i squeeze another 1k miles out of the tires then I'll just stuff it and go for broke more :)

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Curious if your regen is set to standard or high? I test drove an R1S recently and the Rivian employee mentioned that he burned through his front tires super fast because he had his regen set to high. Also, which wheel/tire combo do you have? Either way that's disappointing to see.
Regen settings has nothing to do with tire wear. If you regen only by removing your foot entirely from the pedal and coming to an abrupt stop, then that will wear your tires faster. So, it's about the rate of stopping, and the rate of accelerating (among other things like surface).

I have only used High Regen, and I'm trending to probably 25k miles on a set of ATs. But YMMV, literally. The Continentals on my eTron were nearly spent after 20k miles. I know of Model 3 owners that have had to replace theirs every ~15k miles.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Depends on your use case, in my case with a Sienna the gas savings are around $1500 which about covers four tires. So the gas savings are significantly (if not completely) eaten up by this tire wear. Others on the 21”s have had much better wear which is obviously good.
Like has been said, depends on the comparison vehicle, but for the comparison to be fair, you have to at least try to control for the other variables. i.e. compare to a comparable vehicle (like TRX or Raptor), or reset the baseline in a Sienna by driving it like a bat out of hell (if even possible).

The best data on the question will come from F150L owners who came from ICE F150s. Presumably, they will have the same driving habits (after the initial joy riding). That will give the best results on what the added weight of an EV means with regard to tire wear.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
So is there any way to use the Pirelli treadwear warranty on the OEM tires?

Also, after extensive research this morning, I’m 99% sure I’ll be going with the Nokian Outpost AT in the factory 20” size at first replacement.

18/32 deep, E load rating, 60,000 mile warranty and only 4 lbs heavier than the Pirelli. I would guess these will last way longer.

https://www.prioritytire.com/nokian-outpost-at-lt-275-65r20-126-123s-e-10-ply-a-t-all-terrain-tire/
I have a set of the 275/60R20 (not the Load range E) Outpost AT I am installing as soon as my wheels get coated. I would say be very skeptical of published weights. Mine were listed at 33 lbs, but actually weigh 45, which is on par with other tires of the same load rating. I was just hoping that somehow I stumbled on a "lightweight" setup.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I have a set of the 275/60R20 (not the Load range E) Outpost AT I am installing as soon as my wheels get coated. I would say be very skeptical of published weights. Mine were listed at 33 lbs, but actually weigh 45, which is on par with other tires of the same load rating. I was just hoping that somehow I stumbled on a "lightweight" setup.
That’ll be an interesting setup in that size, will be curious on your efficiency impact.

It is odd the weight is so far off, published everywhere too.
Sponsored