Sponsored

N.J. bill would assess fee on electric cars by the mile ......

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
There's the scumbag politician seeing how he can reach his hands deeper in your pockets.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I hope they don't expect to charge mileage for all of the toll roads NJ has (Parkway, Turnpike, AC Expressway). Tolls pay for road up keep. The plan looks like its double dipping EVs.

OP
OP
ESTRUCK

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
I think that as EV's outsell ICE vehicles all the states will follow to collect lost revenue from fuel taxes at the pump.
NJ seems to be a pilot program offering testers $100 to participate in the pilot program. I hope nobody bites.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
There will be some stupid ideas and some decent ideas as states try to eventually replace the gas tax. The revenue has to come from somewhere. It will be a bumpy road (pun intended) for some while this is ironed out.

Sponsored

Siva

First Name
Siva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2013 Leaf S and 2006 Pilot EX-L
I think we should pay our fair share of road tax, but they are demanding more than fair share. I pay $200 flat fee in Ohio and I don't even drive 4000 miles a year :angry:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I think we should pay our fair share of road tax, but they are demanding more than fair share. I pay $200 flat fee in Ohio and I don't even drive 4000 miles a year :angry:
Looks like you and I have the same situation. Leaf in Ohio with low mileage and annoyed with the current implementation.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I hope they don't expect to charge mileage for all of the toll roads NJ has (Parkway, Turnpike, AC Expressway). Tolls pay for road up keep. The plan looks like its double dipping EVs.
Gas taxes also pay for road upkeep yet you still pay tolls on the toll roads when driving an ICE vehicle. The double dipping, if you choose to view it that way, is not new to EVs. I view tolls as more of a supplemental tax with targeted application much like my property tax is composed of separate taxes supporting city, county, and school district.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Pennsylvania politicians have floated this idea, but I don't think it has gone anywhere yet.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Gas taxes also pay for road upkeep yet you still pay tolls on the toll roads when driving an ICE vehicle. The double dipping, if you choose to view it that way, is not new to EVs. I view tolls as more of a supplemental tax with targeted application much like my property tax is composed of separate taxes supporting city, county, and school district.
I can understand that, but how will they account for miles driven in other states? Or does the owner have to track those?

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Best tax incentive is not taking it. It sounds like Feds give the tax incentives to the manufacturers and states will take it from owners. I am thinking walk and bike more before they find a way to tax that too. The day of $0.002 cents per step tax is coming. Piggy back rides may be the new tax avoidance method.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I can understand that, but how will they account for miles driven in other states? Or does the owner have to track those?
Or maybe we just don't worry about that at all for passenger vehicles. There are technology solutions that could be implemented to solve for that if necessary but at additional cost, complexity, and with privacy concerns but which may still be necessary - especially for commercial/fleet vehicles (consider how many rental vehicles around the country are registered in FL). There really isn't a "perfect" system. Flat fees don't account for high/low mileage drivers. Even gas taxes don't differentiate between high/low efficiency combustion engines.

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
They'll use the iron fist of Gov't to force manufacturers to report since we can't be trusted. No way will they give up that easy revenue for their coffers.

mitchelmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Kia Telluride
Good luck with tracking mileage. A flat fee would be better. And how about putting that money into improving the charging infrastructure within the state?

OP
OP
ESTRUCK

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
From what was on the CBS news in NY this morning a plug-in device tracks all the mileage and and that device needs to be sent to your local DMV monthly or it might be integrated into the infotainment and be sent via wifi. BIG BROTHER STUFF :headbang:
Sponsored