My Rivian R1S is not charging :(

go4deepak

First Name
R1S_Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, R1S
My Rivian r1s is not charging and giving error "Vehicle error". I am using my rivian wall changer.
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Reboot the car and if it still doesn’t work then reset the breaker on the charger too.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine did that a while back. Would keep failing. Turned out the charger end of the connector was melting from poor connection arcing and they sent me a new complete charging unit and paid to have it installed.

I don't recall what error it said...just the ring by charger port would go red.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

turn off main breaker and retorque the wires at the charger breaker, then again in the charger. the huge current causes the wires to expand a bit and loosen. this causes a bad connection.and breaker tripping. ask me how to know.... mine needed 3/4 of a turnn at the breaker. (yes it was installed by a licensed electrician and signed off for the permit by the County Inspection). If this doesn't work (after a hard reboot of the Rivian), then either the charger or something with the Rivian in bad. can you charge correctly at a fast harger or other level 2 charger?

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

Have you tried charging it elsewhere to see if it's the vehicle or the charger?
If it does charge elsewhere, have you tried to troubleshoot the charger to see if it's the unit or the installation?

This is basic step by step stuff to figure out the issue.

Sponsored

Calisoulla

First Name
jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Restaurant owner
Clubs

Had the same issue
Do not use the white pig tail breaker (GFCI)
It causes a problem since the rivian charger already has that built it
I swapped it out for a regular one
No more issues after that

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
First take it to L3 charging station like Electrify America and try charge there. If it works there then there must be issue with your home charging installation. If L3 charging doesn't work either then it probably R1S onbard charger is defect. The same thing happened to my R1T so the Rivian had to replace the onboard charger since then it works like a charm.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Try using another L2 charger or test with L1 to see if it charges, if you have access to another EV test charging it on your charger.

Not a lot of value going to an L3 charger to trouble shoot, they use direct current and do not go through the onboard charger. You should be able to charge at L3 though, when the onboard charger died on my Tesla I used the Superchargers while I waited for an appointment to get the onboard charger fixed.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Does DC charging work? Just had another owner who's onboard AC charger needed replaced. Their DC charging did work.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
My Rivian r1s is not charging and giving error "Vehicle error". I am using my rivian wall changer.
same after latest update. although L1 works. sucks as The Count is going on a road trip this week and now he'll have to take the subie or F150 lest he get the 911 out of storage.

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
same after latest update. although L1 works. sucks as The Count is going on a road trip this week and now he'll have to take the subie or F150 lest he get the 911 out of storage.
🥺
Sponsored