Sponsored

Deleted member 9927

Is there an EV on the market that wouldn’t drain from 40% to 0 after sitting stationary for 4 weeks straight? Serious question.
Jaguar I-Pace - I can leave it for a month lose 1%
Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
The big benefit of the ice vehicle is if you get a dead battery at say an airport, a jump isn't difficult. At worst you're calling aaa.

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Something is wrong. I have a new X, and that level of drain is not normal at all.

I'm also surprised that it was in service for 15 days.

EDIT: I suppose if you had Sentry Mode on the entire time and there are people walking around your vehicle a lot you could lose 60% in 15 days...
It has been in service for something like 75 days out of the 110 days I've owned it...hence why I am lemoning the X and ordered a Rivian.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

It has been in service for something like 75 days out of the 110 days I've owned it...hence why I am lemoning the X and ordered a Rivian.
That is awful. I am very sorry to hear to that. You should absolutely lemon that vehicle after 75 days in service. My family has been very happy with our X, but I wouldn't put up with that either. I'm wishing you luck with your Rivian. You have certainly earned some good vehicle fortune after your current ordeal.

Reactions: rpo

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Question...to anyone that knows? I have a cigarette trickle charger; is it safe to be used on my R1S?

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I don't have my R1S yet, but an interesting experiment would be to put small solar chargers (or Battery Tenders for that matter) on the two 12 volt batteries and see if that reduces the HV battery losses. I don't think it's documented, but the assumption is that the main battery is used to keep a charge on the 12 volt batteries. If you maintain the 12 volt batteries externally, will that reduce HV battery losses? 🤔
Yeah.....,my earlier comment probably wouldn't be very meaningful if you consider just how much of a drain is happening on these batteries. I'd think a solar panel built into the roof may be enough to keep a 12V battery trickle charged, but it's probably not going to do much at all to help the main traction batteries.

Hyro

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
tech
Is there an EV on the market that wouldn’t drain from 40% to 0 after sitting stationary for 4 weeks straight? Serious question.
Yes, my Polestar 2 seems to have close to 0 vampire drain. I've left it for 2 weeks in a freezing airport parking lot (Seatac) and had 0 loss. Nearly all P2 owners have the same experience. Amazing car. If only it had better range :-(

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
This whole phantom/vampire battery drain thing just doesn't make any sense to me at all. And to compare it to ICE 12V systems also doesn't make any sense.

Think about it---I have multiple ICE vehicles that sit for extended periods of time without being driven. If a month goes by, I might see the small 12V battery drop from 12.6 to maybe 12.2, so really nothing terribly significant. The battery will still start the vehicles without any issues. I've done this many, many times.

Now think about the type of drain people are talking about from EV batteries. What in the world could possibly be causing that kind of drain to be able to run down an EV battery (not the 12V battery, the main battery pack) to the point that it's essentially dead? How does that even make any sense at all. Think about how long someone could sit in a parked EV with stuff running before they'd even make a dent in the battery percentage. The energy is an EV battery is enormous, so what kind of computing power are these vehicles needing when parked? I can't make any sense of it at all.....

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

This whole phantom/vampire battery drain thing just doesn't make any sense to me at all. And to compare it to ICE 12V systems also doesn't make any sense.

Think about it---I have multiple ICE vehicles that sit for extended periods of time without being driven. If a month goes by, I might see the small 12V battery drop from 12.6 to maybe 12.2, so really nothing terribly significant. The battery will still start the vehicles without any issues. I've done this many, many times.

Now think about the type of drain people are talking about from EV batteries. What in the world could possibly be causing that kind of drain to be able to run down an EV battery (not the 12V battery, the main battery pack) to the point that it's essentially dead? How does that even make any sense at all. Think about how long someone could sit in a parked EV with stuff running before they'd even make a dent in the battery percentage. The energy is an EV battery is enormous, so what kind of computing power are these vehicles needing when parked? I can't make any sense of it at all.....
Right?! I've been wondering this as well. I mean okay, sure, the computers are running and what not. But with that size of battery, I feel like you could power 5 laptops for months and still barely make a dent in the enormous Rivian battery.
I bet it has something to do with the battery heating/cooling and needing to keep it at a desired temperature.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

There is ~100W load all the time so it adds up. If you are at 70% charge (95 kWh) it would take 40 days to drain to zero with a 100W load on all the time.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Right?! I've been wondering this as well. I mean okay, sure, the computers are running and what not. But with that size of battery, I feel like you could power 5 laptops for months and still barely make a dent in the enormous Rivian battery.
I bet it has something to do with the battery heating/cooling and needing to keep it at a desired temperature.
You might think it’s a big battery but no way it could power 5 laptops 24/7 for months. Only takes 56ish days of a 100W load 24/7 to drain it from 100% to 0. 100W isn’t a ton of power.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

There is ~100W load all the time so it adds up. If you are at 70% charge (95 kWh) it would take 40 days to drain to zero with a 100W load on all the time.
Any idea why there is 100w load all the time? What is this from/for?

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Where is a 100 watt load coming from? And all the time? Why?

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
You might think it’s a big battery but no way it could power 5 laptops 24/7 for months. Only takes 56ish days of a 100W load 24/7 to drain it from 100% to 0. 100W isn’t a ton of power.
Let's put this in perspective----Ford says that the Lightning can power an average house for 3 full days during a power outage. I don't know if that's true, but that's the claim and other people seems to believe it. But a vehicle can sit parked for a month and completely consume it's batteries?

Last edited: