Sponsored

My R1S Purchase, Delivery and 1K ownership

nanobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8, Maxima
Overall I am very satisfied with the R1S. This experience was an adventure by itself so, definitely suits the Rivian tagline.

- Pre-order date - 11/21 (QM, OC, 21s)

- In late summer (2023), I was given the option to switch to P-DM but I decided to keep the QM as it didn't make sense from the EPA numbers that P-DM was really providing the additional efficiency that I couldn't get by switching to Conserve on QM. I also haven't seen a lot of Dual Motor reviews on range and efficiency, except for the initial reviews that came out in Fall 2023.

- I was given access to the R1-Shop late September. In late October I saw that the exact config., I was looking for was available in the shop. My original plan was to do a factory delivery and take the tour but I thought it could be done through shop order as well. However, it so happens that the config. was available at the NY service center and that basically didn't work as I expected. I was expecting a bit more time in the 1-6 week interval to have things lined up. For folks who want to do the factory delivery, getting the vehicle from the shop seems to automatically get you off the factory delivery option or maybe it was just my case that the vehicle was available in my service area range. I am curious about other folks' experiences here.

I also felt like if you are getting something from the shop, have your finances ready and the insurance company lined up ahead of time. The VIN assignment seems to be instantaneous.

I spoke to my guide about the factory tour and she mentioned that it could be setup whenever I can travel to the factory at a later date. My OSD experience with Volvo was great and I was trying to see if I could have this for the family with Rivian.

Schedule, Finances, Communication -
If the shop purchase needs vehicles to be picked up between 1-6 weeks, the customers should have some flexibility to pick it up and ensure everything is aligned within that time frame and not just go by the limit that is given by the Guide/SC. ( Detail - The SC reached out and offered pickup on the weekend that was within 3 days or the following weekend. I asked them if we could move it a couple weeks so I could get the family along and they said that was not possible and if I am not able to pick it up within 7 days my order could be cancelled. I told him my assigned vehicle could go back to the shop as I was hoping to pick it up at the factory and he mentioned that it couldn't be done. The thought was if they have a 7-day limit and if the vehicle was still available in the shop I could still select it at a later date to honor the shop pick-up terms, but that wasn't an option. This was all before the guide reached out to me. The guide pretty much said the same thing, but I told them I can only pick up a couple weeks later due to availability. Next day they came back and offered the date I requested provided I make the payment in the next couple days and they will come back with Plaid instructions, which was OK. A few days passed and no one came back, then I saw an email saying I passed my deadline for payment and my order would be cancelled. At this point I replied back to my guide about the communication that needed to happen between SC and Guide and they agreed to extend the deadline. Once I went to pay, then I saw that Plaid wouldn't work with Brokerage or Savings which is the sort of information I needed a few days ago so I could have funds setup in the right spot. I spoke to the guide and said I could pay part of it now and the rest would have to wait until funds move.)

Insurance - I use Statefarm and somehow Rivian was very particular about spaces after the commas between my names on my temp. card. They didn't accept it and kept kicking it back and at last the only way this was resolved was by me using the actual ID card that came in the mail and uploading it. I showed them proof that my existing cars don't have my middle name on the insurance and it still worked but Rivian didn't budge. After a few iterations, I was able to have the insurance company add my middle name but the temp. card still had spaces which was not acceptable. I had to wait until I got my actual cards in the mail and then scan them which was the only way this worked.

Beyond these, everything in the buying process went through fine.

Delivery day experience -
..and then it was delivery day. BTW, I still didn't upload the insurance copy with my middle name and no spaces between all names. The guide's backup said that this should be fine for delivery which didn't make sense.

We checked in at the service center and the delivery person met us at the appointed time. We signed some papers for registration, delivery etc., and went to the car. I asked for it to be charged 100% and they did it. We went through the s/w etc. and everything was going fine. The delivery guy went to check on my registration while I fixed the car seat and interestingly the latch system doesn't work for the center 2nd row, only works left and right (unless someone knows the difference). As I was going around checking the exterior, the delivery person came back and said, we couldn't process your registration because the office that processes them isn't open on Saturday and you will not be able to drive it today. (Many
Rivian R1T R1S My R1S Purchase, Delivery and 1K ownership 32
went on). He said the SC will provide a loaner and I should be able to get back.

They gave me a truck and I made a deal with the manager. I asked him to fix all the panel gaps and a few other issues inside.

Overall, I walked out of the SC with A not THE Rivian.

Trip home is about a 160mile drive from the service center and overall was uneventful. We started off in the truck at 78% and reached home at ~10%, and had one rest area break. It had 20inch all terrain wheels and the ride seemed a bit rougher but handling etc., was great.

First experience with a DCFC and Work trip on loaner R1T - I took it to an EA charger at Walmart to test out the charging while I went to do some shopping. The credit card module didn't work, but I could initiate charging from the app, which was pretty uneventful. With this experience I decided to take it out the next day on a work trip, ~360mile round trip. I took it out at ~100%(310 miles, conserve) and temp. was below freezing. I reached with ~30% SoC, 80 miles remaining at destination. So, about a 50 mile offset which seemed a bit high assuming I ran it all the way on conserve. The interesting thing here was the nav showed me that I would reach the destination with 50 miles left but it kept adjusting as the drive went on and the big jump only can during the last 3rd of the trip. The status on the driver screen seemed more accurate on the remaining range.

I found a level 2 and put it to charge for a few hours and added enough to stop at a DCFC on the way. The DCFC added about 66KWh in ~20min which was cool to watch. This was an EA station at a mall along the way and also worked with no issues as long as I initiated it on the app. I also noticed something here, the DCFC s have two cables on either side of the station but can only dispense via one of them? The return drive was more spirited in all purpose and OAT was a bit warmer, started at about 40% reached the charger at 23% and filled it up to 66% and reached home at ~10%, so used about ~60% battery on the return compared to ~70% on the way out.

Energy consumption -
Low OAT+Heater+Conserve > Higher OAT+Some cabin heat+AP

Fast forward to 12/2
- The actual delivery day. Someone from the SC drove up my S and we swapped it with the T. BTW, I am still waiting on my NY registration to complete, still stuck with spaces after the commas
The SC did a good job of fixing all the panel gaps that were identified. I swapped out the stock mats with the all weather ones. Now, the SC guy came up with no plates but a permit paper stuck on the rear windscreen, so I am thinking I could have done the same when I originally went to pick it up at SC?

Daily experience - I drop off the little guy at school which is a ~ 25 statute mile round trip and I consistently expend ~ 40 electric miles. The temperature has mostly been around freezing if not a bit lower in the AM.

Drive cam setup - Like it was posted in the forums here, I had to soft reboot for the drive and the 150Mb/s and 400Mb/s flash drives with USB-C/A dual port didn't pass the speed test. I tried a few drives and settled with a SanDisk 1TB portable drive.
https://www.westerndigital.com/prod...extreme-pro-usb-3-2-ssd?sku=SDSSDE81-1T00-G25

The first video we got was of a car wash. This is one of the little guys favorites (we had to go back in for a second wash to get good video quality!)

First flat tire - The TPMS started showing low pressure on the Driver side front tire and when I looked at it at night it seemed OK. I thought it was something to do with the TPMS sensor but the next day there was a noticeable low pressure in the tire and it turned out to be an actual nail. I used the Tireject repair kit and it worked pretty well. I ordered a set of pucks and hopefully I can have the repair shop take a look at it as well. Anyone have experience with regular tire repair shops? I don't have a Rivian recommended one in the area.

New year car wash experience - It is a new year, the car was dirty and I went to get it washed. I told the car wash guy about some dirt that might be hard to get off and he was kind enough to offer another pass for free if it doesn't come off. Car wash went fine, once we came out "I stepped out to check if everything was clean", left the phone on the charge pad and closed the door
and I got locked out. I couldn't do anything, except call my wife to get the other key.
Something I have to be mindful of, especially with PAAK when you have the phone charging. This never happened to me at home when I left the phone inside the car a few times.

1K Mile Experience - It's been about a month since I got delivery of the car and overall I am very happy with it.
I am getting an average of 1.8-2.2mi/KWh, mixed highway/city. The cold start performance seems to be similar to ICE.
At last my plates and registration came in the mail, a new year gift. Title came in a couple weeks later.

First Ski Trip - Charged to 100% SoC, the round trip was around ~120 statute miles and the consumption was ~180 electric miles. Temps were around ~15F, and the nav estimate was spot on. No ski rack for this trip.

Here are some highlights,
- Drive experience is solid - feels like riding a tank and fatigue on long drives is not as much as you would feel in say a "car" platform. It's comparable to driving a Suburban vs. Pathfinder
- Love the frunk - Very convenient for groceries
- PAAK is very convenient (room for improvement). I have to cycle BT if I am away for say more than an hr.
- User Interface is very intuitive
- Very responsive service

Improvements -
- Build quality is good but hopefully with time and R2 it would be more mature
- Audio system is good, haven't heard the meridian but compared to the HK or BW on the Volvo, the DSP on this one could be much better.

I have a few service requests for some squeaks which should be fixed with a single visit.

Rivian R1T R1S My R1S Purchase, Delivery and 1K ownership PXL_20240116_183826501.MP
Sponsored

ChimCruiser

First Name
SV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Undisclosed
Occupation
Undisclosed
Seems like there is plenty of room of improvement in the delivery process. the insurance card issue is ridiculour. Showing up to pick up your car and have to be walking away with a replacement -- what a let down. At the pricepoint and for much publicized car the customer touchpoints should be flawless. I hope Rivian customer service is working on addressing these issues.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

When you got locked out at the car wash - were you in car wash mode still? If the handles don’t present it could have still been unlocked.

OP
OP

nanobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8, Maxima
When you got locked out at the car wash - were you in car wash mode still? If the handles don’t present it could have still been unlocked.
No I don't believe so, as I understand the car wash mode is automatically off after you shift into drive my mode after the car wash.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
No I don't believe so, as I understand the car wash mode is automatically off after you shift into drive my mode after the car wash.
I have to turn mine off. I turn it on at the car wash, after they vacuum they pull the vehicle around to go through the wash and it stays on.
Sponsored