Sponsored

MTB Tailgate Pad

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I found the ultimate solution for me. It's made by Ride88 and they just made a Rivian specific kit. This thing is awesome. I didn't want a tailgate pad because I didn't want to risk scratching or denting my tailgate and didn't want to mess around with straps. The system I just installed is all bolt in and fits under the tonneau. The racks can be taken out via quick release and put in the gear tunnel to free up space in the bed. It also comes with a U-track, so other things can be installed on it as well. I tested it with my regular mountain bike and my emtb (50 pounds) and the rack is rock solid. To my surprise and great pleasure, you don't have to get in the bed to put bikes in and out. The designer thought of everything -- I'm very impressed.
Any more info on where/how to get it? And cost? Their website doesn’t seem to list Rivian.
Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Any more info on where/how to get it? And cost? Their website doesn’t seem to list Rivian.
I bought it from the website (www.ride88.com). I just emailed them and the owner got back to me. He just recently created the Rivian kit (I was the first to install), so it's not on the site yet. The owner's name is Jerry and he was great and quick to answer all the questions I had. The kit is essentially the same price as the u-track kit on the site -- just depends on how many bikes you want to mount up.

Last edited:

pmccut

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S, Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
I bought it from the website. I just emailed them and the owner got back to me. He just recently created the Rivian kit (I was the first to install), so it's not on the site yet. The owner's name is Jerry and he was great and quick to answer all the questions I had. The kit is essentially the same price as the u-track kit on the site -- just depends on how many bikes you want to mount up.
4 screws into the bed for the rails?

pmccut

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S, Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
Four 6mm diameter bolts. It's VERY secure and not going anywhere.
I like this, but I just don't like drilling into the truck :( I wish there were some rails to attach to.

And holding 4 full-size MTBs bikes would be ideal for me. Looks great though.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I like this, but I just don't like drilling into the truck :( I wish there were some rails to attach to.

You don’t have to drill. There are already bolts holding the back panel of the bed to the cab…. Remove them and use longer bolts to fasten a rail on The existing rivnuts.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
You don’t have to drill. There are already bolts holding the back panel of the bed to the cab…. Remove them and use longer bolts to fasten a rail on The existing rivnuts.

This little tidbit alone is going to open up all sorts of things. Now I want to put a bar in for chocks for dirtbikes.

Exciting times. Going to see lots of creativity come to bear on accessorizing…and continued OTA updates.

(Now about that CarPlay. I hope Tim enjoyed his R1T this week.)

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR

To be clear, there is no drilling. The U-track bolts up to the bed using the existing Rivian bolts holes in the bed frame (the bolts that hold the bed liner on the bed frame). If you remove the circular plastic covers they reveal the OEM bolts. You simply pull those bolts out and replace them with the longer bolts supplied by Ride88 and the U-track. Again, these are 10mm bolts and are bolted in rock solid. The track and rack are not going anywhere.

The beauty is I could replace the u-track, OEM bolts and circular plastic bolt covers so it's completely back to OEM in probably less than 15 minutes if I wanted to.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This little tidbit alone is going to open up all sorts of things. Now I want to put a bar in for chocks for dirtbikes.
Someone else has already done this. Look for the thread called “bed rails”

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
This one has been mentioned a few times, but fits well in my opinion.

Pros: excellent padding, clips sit above the extended gap cover, straps move up and down and fit under closed cover.

Cons: Doesn't sit exactly flush due to curve of the tailgate.

https://a.co/d/dc96Fvr

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad PXL_20220711_125254477

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad PXL_20220711_125350653

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad PXL_20220711_125322793

Sponsored

zapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Do we know if Rivian is working on a proper tailgate pad?

holmespun

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra 2014 1794 Edition
Occupation
Photographer
To be clear, there is no drilling. The U-track bolts up to the bed using the existing Rivian bolts holes in the bed frame (the bolts that hold the bed liner on the bed frame). If you remove the circular plastic covers they reveal the OEM bolts. You simply pull those bolts out and replace them with the longer bolts supplied by Ride88 and the U-track. Again, these are 10mm bolts and are bolted in rock solid. The track and rack are not going anywhere.

The beauty is I could replace the u-track, OEM bolts and circular plastic bolt covers so it's completely back to OEM in probably less than 15 minutes if I wanted to.
Are the nuts on the back side held in place, or did you have to use the included nut holder? Also, the bolts don’t interfere with the cover closing?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I think someone had suggested this earlier here or in another thread, but now that my PPF is on I finally got around to buying a pair and love them. The crossbar lock hack works great too.

Your first try setting them up is a little awkward but once you're used to it they go on fast and (at least in single bike config - haven't tried two yet) it's absolutely rock solid. I wouldn't do hardcore offroading (I have a 1UP for that) but I'm comfortable taking it on long drives to trailheads.

Pisgah Collection | Tsuga

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1669049457005
Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1669049478338
Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1669049499108