Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Just when I thought there was no possible way for MT to milk another article out of the R1T...
No one and no publication can compete with MT after it tested two R1T’s for weeks and weeks in all terrains available coast to coast. They have the data and the chutzpah to boast about Rivian and to showcase their reviews endlessly, and keep doing reviews.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Just when I thought there was no possible way for MT to milk another article out of the R1T...
Not to mention the links back out to create a vicious cycle of back-patting. SEVEN links taking you away from the article in just the first 3 paragraphs:
Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review [Dec 10]: Rivian R1T Pros and Cons: A New Era 1639157743343
:rolleyes:

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I take a different view.

The interest is SO high in Rivian and the vehicle that Motor Trend is looking for ways to talk about it more.

Why is this bad? They aren't changing their view or going super click bait on it.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Look at the Hummer EV Finalist article they have now:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-pickup-pros-cons-review/

Cons
  • Some rough edges
  • Limited towing and payload capacities
  • Absurd heft and size
“…but they may tire of the copious wind noise, cheap interior materials in plain sight, and exaggerated body motions. At least the four-wheel steering provides exceptional benefits in terms of turning radius and overall agility; it's a feature our judges universally praised.

Anyone who wants to use the Hummer like a truck might be befuddled by the 1,300-pound maximum payload rating and 7,500-pound maximum towing capacity. After all, it seems incongruous that a truck of this size, mass, and price has merely midsize-pickup capabilities, but certainly the Hummer's gargantuan weight—8,976 pounds on our scales—puts it in the highest echelon of heavy-duty truck poundage. Speaking of towing, the Hummer needs a towing mode that stiffens up the suspension to control body motions, which were just as pronounced with a trailer attached and led to some sketchy moments.”

I think Rivian has this in the bag, of course I’m not exactly unbiased ?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Look at the Hummer EV Finalist article they have now: ... Speaking of towing, the Hummer needs a towing mode that stiffens up the suspension to control body motions, which were just as pronounced with a trailer attached and led to some sketchy moments.”

I think Rivian has this in the bag, of course I’m not exactly unbiased ?
"Sketchy moments" are not words you want to hear if towing something.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yet another article with nothing related to charging haha @SeaGeo I think at this point we know our answers.
Yeah, I'm fine with that too. I just wish Rivian would clarify things so people know what to expect.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
The last paragraph perhaps reflects why they have put out so many articles, and hopefully foreshadows a truck of the year award!

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I will say, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ford Maverick won either. It’s a fantastic value for an efficient, little truck that meets most peoples needs. At the very least I think Rivian would be a runner-up

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
R1T with a bullet!

MT's Criteria

1. Advancement in Design
R1T is a new segment in size, 4 motors, gear tunnel, etc. It without question furthers the 4 door/truck segment. Not some much for the others.

2. Efficiency
Rivian; 315 mile range, with 400+ miles available. Hummer says "estimated 350 miles" but still haven't given any official numbers or allowed any reviews.

3. Engineering Excellence
Rivian not only does something new, but does all things amazingly well. Handles great, excellent performance, functional, amazing offroading, tows! Hummer is a one trick pony.

4. Performance of Intended Function
Rivian can do exactly what it sets out to do, and with a 400+ mile range coming and it's off road chops, getting out into the world is exactly what it'll do.

5. Safety
Hummer is bigger so I guess you'll come out on the winning side of that equation.

6. Value
Rivian Base 67k, max pack 83k, future 105kwh pack will be even more affordable. The drive, performance, functionality, fit and finish, off road capabilities, etc... R1T all the way.

Hoping for the R1T to be next to the golden calipers.

Ford Maverick a close #2 (1 point away they say).

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

R1T with a bullet!

MT's Criteria

1. Advancement in Design
R1T is a new segment in size, 4 motors, gear tunnel, etc. It without question furthers the 4 door/truck segment. Not some much for the others.

2. Efficiency
Rivian; 315 mile range, with 400+ miles available. Hummer says "estimated 350 miles" but still haven't given any official numbers or allowed any reviews.

3. Engineering Excellence
Rivian not only does something new, but does all things amazingly well. Handles great, excellent performance, functional, amazing offroading, tows! Hummer is a one trick pony.

4. Performance of Intended Function
Rivian can do exactly what it sets out to do, and with a 400+ mile range coming and it's off road chops, getting out into the world is exactly what it'll do.

5. Safety
Hummer is bigger so I guess you'll come out on the winning side of that equation.

6. Value
Rivian Base 67k, max pack 83k, future 105kwh pack will be even more affordable. The drive, performance, functionality, fit and finish, off road capabilities, etc... R1T all the way.

Hoping for the R1T to be next to the golden calipers.

Ford Maverick a close #2 (1 point away they say).
I agree, even though, honestly, I didn't read everything about the Maverick, but it's tough to beat a quote like "...as senior editor Aaron Gold put it, the R1T is 'annoyingly good. Annoying because it's so good no one is going to believe us when we say so. It's just going to hurt our credibility.' "

My money's on the R1T. Twice... ???
Sponsored

Last edited: