Sponsored

More Guide Contacts Trickling in...

Pathfinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender X-Dynamic
I can see a lot of people doing this, even a big company like Rivian can send a humanized explanation as to why things are the way the are regardless of those reasons if such a delay were to occur again. The last email at the last day of May was a huge let down and slap in the face for those planning for June and it was probably somewhat clear they knew ahead of time of a delay. If cars are actually being delivered in Nov, just say so and reasons why and call it a day.

I reckon that would retain a lot more people than cancelling reservations across the board.
Well said.

In addition to pre-order holders I have several friends and family who have heard me talk about my Rivian for almost 2 years now. I constantly get asked "do you have your electric truck yet?" and even though I remain positive in my answers, even they are losing interest and it's certainly not generating any interest or goodwill with them.

They all understand things are delayed due to Covid, etc., but there's no denying that when I went from answering "I'll have it this year" to "It got delayed again and right now they're saying definitely by next spring..." people are noticing and forming their own opinions about the experience, none of which are positive.

Just another unintended consequence of Rivian's poor communication strategy.

As another poster above noted, I'd much rather them get it right and I appreciate that, but there's nothing that says you have to be cagey about communications and timing because you're working towards a successful launch.
Sponsored

Oak62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 C7 Z51
So far it seems like proximity to service centers is the biggest factor in guide contacts. Has anyone tried to piece together a delivery range in distance from the service centers? I'm about 50 miles from Irvine and curious if I'll be included in the initial round or if I'll be waiting for a service center to be set up closer to where I live.

I asked this question on the Rivian Chat site and got the predictable answer of more info will be released soon.
I was wondering the same thing Ryan. I’m in North County San Diego. Guessing you are too. I haven’t been able to figure out if there will be a service center in San Diego or if the closest will be Irvine or Laguna.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

The Rivian CEO is an engineer and appears to be the driver of the company, so yeah, I agree that they are probably engineer top-heavy and marketing takes a back seat. I'll take that any day over a slick PR/Marketing campaign led company, such as Lucid or Lordstown. We've seen numerous Rivian mule vehicles on the road, but have yet to see anything of substance from Lordstown (never will) or Lucid (maybe will). Lucid announced delays this spring and as far as I know has been silent since. They went the SPAC route, good luck to them with that....
Fair point. Its not necessarily a bad thing to be engineer top-heavy. Their website, marketing and PR is not bad as whole, I mean it got enough of us excited to pre-order and wait years. That being said, the newsletter is lame. It's one thing to have a slick website for folks who visit the site, but when someone signs up for a newsletter (or pre-orders for that matter) it means you have a potentially engaged customer, so I think they should spend a little more effort on it.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I can see a lot of people doing this, even a big company like Rivian can send a humanized explanation as to why things are the way the are regardless of those reasons if such a delay were to occur again. The last email at the last day of May was a huge let down and slap in the face for those planning for June and it was probably somewhat clear they knew ahead of time of a delay. If cars are actually being delivered in Nov, just say so and reasons why and call it a day.

I reckon that would retain a lot more people than cancelling reservations across the board.
I would definitely feel better about it if they just said they needed more time and the best estimate they could give would be around X, and gave regular updates, but this weeks on end with no info is just killing me (hyperbolically of course lol). Of course, I’m not the only one who feels this way!

I just don’t understand why they would say July, and still stick to August for the R1S when we all know the R1S will be delayed too. The lack of information about showrooms, insurance, service centers, infotainment, EPA, and live test drives when they are supposedly delivering this month just makes me even more jaded/upset. Rivian just communicate more!!!! /b***ching

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I just don’t understand why they would say July, and still stick to August for the R1S when we all know the R1S will be delayed too.
We don't actually know that the R1S will be delayed. You just think it will be delayed. You may be right or wrong.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Remember, all they have to do is deliver two vehicles by the end of the month to technically meet their new (new, new, new) self imposed deadline. Same deal with R1S deliveries for August. I think they'll do it. Seriously, they have two hand built units right now that they could deliver.

Then, all they have to do is contact LE reservation holders by November to tell them their deliveries won't happen until Spring (June) 2022. Again, very achievable.

They have bought themselves tons of time. I'm not saying it's right for either the customers or the company, but it's the truth. Regardless, I think we'll know exactly where things stand by the end of the month, even if we have to read between the lines because any announcement (or lack there of) is intentionally lacking content.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
@Zoidz,
Does anyone know of any available steel workers in upstate NY right now, figured I'd ask.
The pain is real. I have a project where we need 10 more sanitary stainless steel process tubing fabricators/welders.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Most places I’ve worked will terminate your employment on the spot for having a phone in production areas. And that’s just agricultural machinery and big metal tubes.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Well said.

In addition to pre-order holders I have several friends and family who have heard me talk about my Rivian for almost 2 years now. I constantly get asked "do you have your electric truck yet?" and even though I remain positive in my answers, even they are losing interest and it's certainly not generating any interest or goodwill with them.

They all understand things are delayed due to Covid, etc., but there's no denying that when I went from answering "I'll have it this year" to "It got delayed again and right now they're saying definitely by next spring..." people are noticing and forming their own opinions about the experience, none of which are positive.

Just another unintended consequence of Rivian's poor communication strategy.

As another poster above noted, I'd much rather them get it right and I appreciate that, but there's nothing that says you have to be cagey about communications and timing because you're working towards a successful launch.

Agree, all the people that were excited for me make jokes about it now. I feel like they lost respect for Rivian. Maybe Rivian can turn things all around with an amazing truck. Like we all said months ago, just be honest. Tell us what's going on, that's all we want.

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Has anyone been contacted by a guide as of recently?
Sponsored