Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Occupation
Fake Science Lead
Clubs

Thanks for that explanation. Do they make that tire in a 65 as an exact replacement for the OEM 20s?
They have the OEM size and 3-4 others that fit, all around 60 pounds so a bit less efficient than 20” OEM…

Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender LTX Platinum tires review update! IMG_3706
Sponsored

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
What kind of miles per kw are you getting?

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I have the ltx AT on the gx470 and they are a more open tread than the ltx. I've had lots of AT tires over the years with different vehicles. The ltx AT rides super nice on the highway and are competent off-road. They also have an irregular block design so they are quiet. I can imagine that the defender is even better on the pavement. All our cars have Michelin tires except the Rivian. Hard to say on efficiency but the heavier the tire, the worse the efficiency. Same goes for the more open the tread block, the more movement and heat generation.
Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender LTX Platinum tires review update! 3026024755416698386

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
For the record, the Defender LTX M/S (and updated M/S 2) are not the same tire as the Defender LTX Platinum the OP is reporting on.

epowermarine

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Anyone out there looking for new tires, these are for you. Michelin released these in Nov 2023.

If you're not going rock crawling or doing serious off roading, then spend the money on these.

I now have almost 4,000 miles on my 285/60/20 tires and can honestly say these are phenomenal! Yes they are expensive! But you get what you pay for.

Living in Florida, flat and no hills, comfort and longevity was my main concern. They are quieter than the Factory 21" Pirelli's. So much so that I seldom listen to the radio any more, Just the silent hum of the motors, and a slight wind noise over 70 mph.

Everybody comments on the ride quality. These also have a 70,000 mile warranty and I see no reason why I won't get at least 50,000 miles out of them.

I got mine from Costco, so no warranty or other issues are expected.

Sorry to say, I charge at home 99% of the time, so I never bothered to do an efficiency comparisson with the original Pirelli's, which lasted 20,000 miles.

I also drive in sport mode at the lowest setting and experienced no rubbing at all.
Lastly, the picture show some of the soapy residue they used to mount the tires, and fortunately it's not curb rash.

20231204_152059.jpg

20231204_152050.jpg
Getting same tire, same size installed on the R1000 wheels on Tuesday. What pressure are you using? thx

Sponsored

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
I've got almost 14k miles on the LTX platinum and 70k on the R1T

Everything is better than the factory all terrains EXCEPT grip.

It makes the truck a bit much to handle when driving in the wet if you drive the truck like a sports car.

My efficiency used to be 1.74 and now I'm averaging 2 across these miles.

Tire wear is MUCH better, and its A LOT more quiet.

Dry/Wet grip TERRIBLE! ABS will come on for hard stops.

For reference, I couldnt get more than 15k~20k out of the factory tires 90% driven All purpose mode.

Pros Everything MOST people want out of tires it's great.
Con If you like to drive fast, the grip is not there dry or wet.

These do rub if you're backing up into a driveway in Kneel mode full lock. Otherwise normal drive ride heights are fine.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Tire grip, both wet and dry, is pretty much the most important criteria in a tire - to me. It's not about "driving fast" so much as being able to deal with emergency maneuvers when someone else does something stupid.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Tire grip, both wet and dry, is pretty much the most important criteria in a tire - to me. It's not about "driving fast" so much as being able to deal with emergency maneuvers when someone else does something stupid.

It understeers turning in the wet, and power on oversteer in the wet. braking distances are much longer, but I never felt rivian's regen braking was enough. They are overall bad tires for grip and they've clearly made the trade off for more longevity. I'd be fine with a 30k warranty if the grip was better.

OP
OP
Whataboykie!

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Just curious why the new thread?

wasnt all of these covered in the one you posted in December?

Can you share you MPK over last 4k miles?

in the previous thread there was some conflicting MPK that showed it was the same or worse than 20” OEM, would be helpful to everyone if there is any new efficiency data on these…

IMG_3705.jpeg
You're assuming that everybody read the December post! It's June for Chrissakes! 4000 Miles later and I post an update and you question why?

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've got almost 14k miles on the LTX platinum and 70k on the R1T

Everything is better than the factory all terrains EXCEPT grip.

It makes the truck a bit much to handle when driving in the wet if you drive the truck like a sports car.

My efficiency used to be 1.74 and now I'm averaging 2 across these miles.

Tire wear is MUCH better, and its A LOT more quiet.

Dry/Wet grip TERRIBLE! ABS will come on for hard stops.

For reference, I couldnt get more than 15k~20k out of the factory tires 90% driven All purpose mode.

Pros Everything MOST people want out of tires it's great.
Con If you like to drive fast, the grip is not there dry or wet.

These do rub if you're backing up into a driveway in Kneel mode full lock. Otherwise normal drive ride heights are fine.
Does anyone have offroad (gravel forest roads, hard rocky stuff, snow) experience with these?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Does anyone have offroad (gravel forest roads, hard rocky stuff, snow) experience with these?
couple of online reviews from Michelin and Tire Rack web sites for you.

Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender LTX Platinum tires review update! 1716823954573-hy

Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender LTX Platinum tires review update! 1716824035780-ex

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Occupation
Fake Science Lead
Clubs

You're assuming that everybody read the December post! It's June for Chrissakes! 4000 Miles later and I post an update and you question why?
But what’s the update? You didn’t even mention your MPK? I appreciate y ou r update, was just trying to squeeze some info out…
This is a helpful video review, would you agree with it? This guy seems very happy with them for a heavy duty use…

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
You could just as well have updated that other thread, and it would have been just as visible as this one.

There are >130 posts in that other thread. By opening up a new thread and pretending that other one doesn't exist you're being disrespectful to everyone who tried to contribute to that thread. Does everyone now need to repeat all that discussion here? And if this is an "update" why haven't you corrected all the wrong information from that other thread and cited that other thread?

Basic netiquette ... Please make an effort to reduce the noise.
Sponsored